Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Question about selling a few "High-End" PSA cards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA
Hello,

I got some good cards inbound from PSA, and I'm considering selling them through one of the big consigners on Ebay, like Probstein or PWCC, for example. Just wondering if anyone has experience dealing with them, if it's worth it, etc. Thanks!!

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Hello,

I got some good cards inbound from PSA, and I'm considering selling them through one of the big consigners on Ebay, like Probstein or PWCC, for example. Just wondering if anyone has experience dealing with them, if it's worth it, etc. Thanks!!

I guess it all depends on what the cards are. High end vintage will give you a nice return on your money if you go through one of the auction houses Like Robert Edwards Auctions and you may be able to negotiate the fee you will be charged for allowing them to sell your cards. High end modern might be best going through PWCC. I have heard some less than desirable things about Probstein but I can never tell if that is sour grapes because the cards did not reach the price the seller was hoping for or if there was an issue with Probstein themselves.

What are the high end cards you are speaking of?

ASTROBURN

Jun 23, 2011
Santa Cruz, CA
Why dont you sell them yourself? I just bought some cards from probstein, and it came with a business card of theirs showing their rates. Seems high compared to just selling it yourself...

mchenrycards

Featured Contributor, Vintage Corner, Senior Membe
Why dont you sell them yourself? I just bought some cards from probstein, and it came with a business card of theirs showing their rates. Seems high compared to just selling it yourself...

Probstein and PWCC have a huge following and if the cards are truly high end, most would rather deal with an established Ebay seller like the two who were mentioned over a private seller like the OP. There is no doubt these sellers rates are high but you are paying for the privilege of putting your cards in front of these proven buyers.

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
PWCC gets the highest prices period. If it is truly high end. Go with him.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011

I agree some of there rates are crazy I guess I would compare exact cards each seems for and see who gets a higher return. If it's crazy rare list it yourself with a buy it now or best offer. I would say a auction house is better you figure PWCC and Probstein both have to pay a ebay fee so they will ask for more. When you deal with an auction house it's normally less because there is no cost of a company. I have generally used smalltraditions because he will grade them for you. I have gotten a good return from him on most but some went less than I wanted. My biggest concern with him is he has seemed to drive the prices up on some cards but then again it might not be him as I know hoarders on certain cards as well. I know where 15 of the 30 Mirror Gold Jeter cards are and there either asking way to much or are not selling and I believe this is what drives the price on some of the cards as well. If you don't see a card for years and it pops up people are willing to spend more to own it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Freedom Card Board mobile app

ral72

Aug 8, 2008
Schwenksville, PA

Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out...Between Ebay and Paypal fees, you end up paying about 13%. For example, one of the cards I have is a 1982 Ripken Topps PSA 10. The fees from Probstein would only be 12%, and I wouldn't have to deal with listing the card, shipping it, worrying about potential buyer issues, etc. Additionally, it seems like PWCC and Probstein usually sell at above-average prices. I also have a few other late '70's low-pop PSA 10s that should sell very well.

So, that's where the dilemma lies; Should I just sell them myself? Would it be better/easier to go through PWCC/Probstein, or is that just more of a hassle?

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
What's there timeline and how quickly do they pay? If you list it you will get the money faster The 5 minutes it will take you to list it it you might take a small loss either way you still have to ship it to him or the buyer so it's a judgment call.

u2me57

Mar 21, 2014
Hendersonville, Tn.
I haven't dealt with PWCC, but I got my 1st card from Probstein this week and I was pleased. The card was well protected, fast shipping, and shipping price was good.

George_Calfas

Aug 22, 2008
Urbana
I have sold through both with no issue. Currently use Rick due to the favorable sliding fee scale based upon final value. With that said, PSA cards will sell well with either.

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
I've used Probstein numerous times and have always been very happy. For high-end items he's actually cheaper than selling yourself (because as a big time seller he gets charged lower FVF's and passes that on). For vintage I do think PWCC may get slightly higher prices on average.

jcmint

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
try to sell some here. Im looking for a ripken psa 10. Less hassle. If you are on any facebook groups the vintage house is the best group to sell period. I have sold 1000's of dollars in cards there.
Well, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out...Between Ebay and Paypal fees, you end up paying about 13%. For example, one of the cards I have is a 1982 Ripken Topps PSA 10. The fees from Probstein would only be 12%, and I wouldn't have to deal with listing the card, shipping it, worrying about potential buyer issues, etc. Additionally, it seems like PWCC and Probstein usually sell at above-average prices. I also have a few other late '70's low-pop PSA 10s that should sell very well.

So, that's where the dilemma lies; Should I just sell them myself? Would it be better/easier to go through PWCC/Probstein, or is that just more of a hassle?

rexvos

Aug 24, 2008
Not on the super high end stuff I haven't, but I don't follow every auction.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
Honestly a PSA 10 Ripken shouldn't matter who sells it as it will go for a lot. What's the POPE on that card?

Jack Straw

May 10, 2009
@ a Baseball Card Show
I would try and sell them on the BST board at Collectors Universe first. I have sold a lot of stuff over there and it's always gone well. You can offer it for less because you don't have the fees so that's attractive to potential buyers.