Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Old, clueless or just that much of a jerk?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Saw this on ebay. Can't help but think that this has to be purposeful!

s-l1600.jpg

Brewer Andy

Aug 10, 2008
Oh man....what a shame, that is a beautiful card. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he's pretty old

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
That is pretty bad. Not only the Mays but the Gwynn being a sticker when everything else is an on card auto. (I don't mind stickers)

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
You'd think the "Topps Representative" that is present at the signing of all autographs to guarantee authenticity would direct him where to sign it. Oh that's right, the player IS the "Topps Representative"!!!!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Presumably this card was made/designed before, but actually signed after Gwynn's death, hence the sticker. In that case, appropriate, although it does take away from the card slightly. That mays placement just ruins the card look though.

That is pretty bad. Not only the Mays but the Gwynn being a sticker when everything else is an on card auto. (I don't mind stickers)

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I'd say it's deliberate. Mays is a notorious grouch and at shows often signs items in a different place than the customer asks, and uses a different pen than than the customer requests, including using a blue Sharpie on balls when the customer hands him a ballpoint pen. (I've witnessed this at a show in Dallas in the late '80s and there are several stories online and it's even mentioned in SCD and in an autograph guide I own).

It's weird how he was so happy-go-lucky, smiling and lovable as a player, but he turned into a cranky jerk in his retirement years. Maybe he was just acting happy for the cameras when he played and always had a chip on his shoulder?
It's a shame he's not as nice as Aaron, Mantle and other legends are/were to their fans.

stangy24

Jun 18, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Willie's eyesight is pretty much gone, which could be why as well. He's signed for me a bunch of times and never switched pens, put in the wrong spot, etc. at least in my experience.

CollectorsCorner

Super Moderator
Feb 13, 2009
Presumably this card was made/designed before, but actually signed after Gwynn's death, hence the sticker. In that case, appropriate, although it does take away from the card slightly. That mays placement just ruins the card look though.

I understand the reasoning behind it and I realize there wasn't much that could be done. Just commenting on it

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
I'd say it's deliberate. Mays is a notorious grouch and at shows often signs items in a different place than the customer asks, and uses a different pen than than the customer requests, including using a blue Sharpie on balls when the customer hands him a ballpoint pen. (I've witnessed this at a show in Dallas in the late '80s and there are several stories online and it's even mentioned in SCD and in an autograph guide I own).

It's weird how he was so happy-go-lucky, smiling and lovable as a player, but he turned into a cranky jerk in his retirement years. Maybe he was just acting happy for the cameras when he played and always had a chip on his shoulder?
It's a shame he's not as nice as Aaron, Mantle and other legends are/were to their fans.

Mantle was a notorious grouch at shows...most likely because he was hungover.

bongo870

Sep 30, 2009
Marlton NJ
he always signed in the wrong spot. Always different than others. Even my topps card he signed in a different spot than everyone else in the set: his auto was suppose to be on the bottom
MAYSWILLIE.jpg

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
Aaron's not the nicest either. I suspect it has something to do with the way they were treated during their careers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool. But taking it out on people wanting to meet you and paying for the chance is an odd way to let it manifest.

Members online