Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Braves Sign Josh Donaldson and Brian McCann to One-Year Deals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jszczech

Dec 27, 2010
Minnesota
I was surprised Donaldson got so much money based on last season. If bounces back it could be a nice pick up.

Flyers16

Aug 21, 2015
Ontario Canada
Donaldson must have figured that this would be the best offer he was going to receive. And based upon his performance this past year he’s right. And take the offer before the Braves move on. Hence he’s the first major free agent to sign this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
Donaldson is just a 6 million dollar man.

P.S.
Maybe.

You are crazy. I am not seeing much risk here at all for the Braves, other than money if his injuries persist. This is exactly what the Braves needed and if Donaldson gets 500+ PA's with solid defense at 3rd, this will likely be the steal of the off-season. Watch out for the Braves in 2019.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
You are crazy. I am not seeing much risk here at all for the Braves, other than money if his injuries persist. This is exactly what the Braves needed and if Donaldson gets 500+ PA's with solid defense at 3rd, this will likely be the steal of the off-season. Watch out for the Braves in 2019.

BJ Upton ring a bell?

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
BJ Upton ring a bell?

??????

What does Melvin have to do with this one year deal? Not seeing the link. When healthy, Donaldson is a top 20 player in all of baseball. From 2013-2017 there was only one position player more valuable in baseball than Donaldson and that player's name is Trout. You bringing up BJ on a one year deal for Donaldson is just silly. They have never been remotely close in terms of value or performance.

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Well if everyone thinks Donaldson is worth 23 mil a year then Harper will want 50 mil a year NOW. He is going to be 33. He is on the way down side and not worth that kind of money. WE can go back and forth but I will let you know at the 2019 all star break. I will bring up this thread either way it goes. " Boys ohhhhh boys I think he's back for his noon feeding "

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Well if everyone thinks Donaldson is worth 23 mil a year then Harper will want 50 mil a year NOW. He is going to be 33. He is on the way down side and not worth that kind of money. WE can go back and forth but I will let you know at the 2019 all star break. I will bring up this thread either way it goes. " Boys ohhhhh boys I think he's back for his noon feeding "

The AAV on Donaldson's 1 year contract has next to no influence on the AAV of a long term contract for Harper, Machado, or anyone else. 1 year contracts will always have higher AAVs because the assumed risk of multiple years is lower for the team.

Donaldson was worth 1.3 fWAR in a third of a season last year. He only has to stay healthy and play well for about 400 at bats at that pace to make the contract he got worth it. If he's healthy and even 80% of his former self the whole year then that's a steal.

The Braves are printing money right now, have a very affordable young core with more on the way, and are strong postseason contenders. Throwing a high AAV single year deal at a high risk, high reward candidate is exactly the kind of move they need to be making right now to try to win. It may work out and it may not. Maybe Donaldson really is cooked, though nothing in his play while healthy shows that, but that's why they play the games. We'll know soon enough.

cgilmo

Administrator
Aug 6, 2008
Alpharetta, Georgia, United States
The AAV on Donaldson's 1 year contract has next to no influence on the AAV of a long term contract for Harper, Machado, or anyone else. 1 year contracts will always have higher AAVs because the assumed risk of multiple years is lower for the team.

Donaldson was worth 1.3 fWAR in a third of a season last year. He only has to stay healthy and play well for about 400 at bats at that pace to make the contract he got worth it. If he's healthy and even 80% of his former self the whole year then that's a steal.

The Braves are printing money right now, have a very affordable young core with more on the way, and are strong postseason contenders. Throwing a high AAV single year deal at a high risk, high reward candidate is exactly the kind of move they need to be making right now to try to win. It may work out and it may not. Maybe Donaldson really is cooked, though nothing in his play while healthy shows that, but that's why they play the games. We'll know soon enough.

Well the Braves aren't really printing money but they did steal 200 million dollars from the Cobb county public coffers.

manningmurphyfan

Aug 17, 2008
The Donaldson signing is a real no brainer.

My only question is what happens to Johan Camargo?

I'm a HUGE Camargo guy and hope he's not held back by this.

Sounds like super utility guy and PH. Could replace Dansby if he bat doesn’t produce.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I love this deal.....very little risk in my mind and could reap big rewards for the Braves. A recent article mentioned 1 fWAR is now worth close to $8-9 million so as long as we get a 3 fWAR season out of him the contract will be worth it and everything suggests that he should be able to as long as he stays healthy enough for 400+ at-bats. If he can't then oh well, it's just one year. These are my favorite types of contracts. I don't mind taking risks with one or two year contracts. It's those large long-term contracts that worry me and make me think of players I'd rather forget like B.J. Upton.

The Donaldson signing is a real no brainer.

My only question is what happens to Johan Camargo?

I'm a HUGE Camargo guy and hope he's not held back by this.

I've heard they plan to use him in the outfield (with Markakis no longer part of the organization) + super utility role. Outfield surprises me because he's only been out there once in his major league career but I suppose the thinking is that "if he can play shortstop and third base then outfield should be no problem". I don't always find this to be true but we'll see.

If Dansby can't get it together or can't properly recover after his recent surgery then he should get some playing time as the shortstop.