Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Player Collector Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
"Is it kind of weird that you only collect one player?"

My wife said that to me last night when she came up into the office looking at some of my cards/memorabilia. Like anyone with a "problem", I tried to justify it by telling her several others only collect one player as well.

I LOVE baseball, and am a fan of several players from the past and present, enjoy cards of all types. The problem? I generally don't want to keep any cards long term aside from my pc guy. Not sure why - I just lose interest and they get sold.

SO, help me not feel so weird. Post if you collect only one player and who that player is. If you want, you can also post your favorite, last purchased and/or most wanted card of said player.

Gjb70

Aug 1, 2015
I actually have two players I collect. My main collection is Albert Belle cards, but I also have a long-term collecting goal of putting together a Mickey Mantle run from his playing years. As of now I have 57-69 including the all-star cards (minus the 61) and multi-player cards. My goal is to have all psa examples (I shoot for lower grade with good eye appeal), so I also have some raw copies that I will eventually upgrade. For me it keeps things interesting, so when I can't find any Belle cards I work on my Mantle cards. This is my third stint in collecting over my life, and I have always chased Mantle cards, but unless I somehow come across a boatload of money, I'll probably only go back to 53 or 54.

Enfuego79

Jan 21, 2013
Deltona, FL
I collect only one and I may not hear the end of it, but that player happens to be AROD. And the last purchase I made was adding a few more cards to the road to 500 set

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
My Mark Grace collection started as an attempt to have one card from each major set, since I liked seeing all the different card designs. Grace had just come up through the Cubs system, seemed like a nice guy, and wasn't as expensive as Sandberg to collect.

Once I started finding it hard to find cards I needed, I've kind of added more players, but 1 for different eras so I can collect all aross the history of cards. I now collect Cap Anson (1870-1900), Rabbit Maranville (1915-1935), Don Zimmer (1955-1965). It's a hybrid player/type collection I've got going.

death2redemptions

Feb 4, 2016
The Carolina on the Southern side
I suppose I collect multiple players but eventually at some point I sell off my collections, especially if it is a prospect I'm investing in.

However, my Paul Goldschmidt collection isn't going anywhere and I put most of my money into it, including the money I make from prospecting.

joey12508

Aug 7, 2008
Winterfell
Only collect Bernie Williams although getting difficult finding cards i need. I am not looking for all of his cards, mostly 90's is my main focus. I do cheat on him a little picking up some EL Duque cards from 1998. Its nice knowing others who do the same, its like a brotherhood.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
Baseball - Will Clark

Football - Mike Brown

I'm thinking of making more of an effort in 2017 and beyond at collecting some other items.

Ryan

mouschi

May 18, 2012
Baseball - Will Clark

Football - Mike Brown

I'm thinking of making more of an effort in 2017 and beyond at collecting some other items.

Ryan

I've often thought about trying to collect someone/something else, but in the end, I just don't get nearly enough joy to make it work. My last idea was the 2011 topps diamond anniversary sparkle set, but lost interest quick. hmmmmm I hadn't thought of this before. Time to make one of them for my collection!

bigunitcards

Sep 8, 2013
OKC, OK
Randy Johnson. Started in 2000, they won WS next year & I was hooked for life. Just passed the 4,900 mark today, just secured my last '98 Tek pattern today, and just landed this beast last night:

Everything's coming up Millhouse.

Attachments

• 16museumbatbarrel.jpg
    16museumbatbarrel.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 13

Mark70Z

Mar 26, 2011
I collect only one player and that's Brooks Robinson. He was my hero growing up so it's an easy fit. My only problem, well one of my only problems, is that I collect items related to him as well, i.e. books, publications, pins, pennants, posters, odd-ball items, bats, ads, etc.

I do pick up, from time to time, some Orioles memorabilia that I think would make for a cool display. Working on my small sports room, which is currently a junk room, to display those type of items on the walls.

Really if I had a lot of disposable income I'd likely collect some other players cards...I'm a baseball fan at heart.

sierra79

Feb 15, 2016
Deland, Florida
I used to collect everything from vintage, unopened PSA graded packs, prewar wrappers, 1933 Goudey Indian Gum (I had a complete set at one point minus certain variations), to lot's of modern. However, I always came back to my Maddux pc. At this point Greg Maddux is all I am collecting. I really enjoy having a much more focused collection and It still provides me a nice cross-section of cards from great 90's inserts sets, parallels, game-used, and oddball stuff. In order to keep myself sane I only collect cards that were produced from his playing years; otherwise there will never be an endpoint. In reality though there isn't any endpoint though, because there is always that 1/1 or Bigfoot of a card that I can never seem to find. Of course, there's stuff that I would still like to have that I never picked picked up (i.e. a '92 Franchise triple auto w/Mantle, Musial, & Yaz), but then I always find another Maddux card that has eluded me. The only other thing that I invest in more, which is actually non-sports or card related, is my 19th century US stamp collection (and that too is focused because your only looking at about half a decade of stamp issues).

My last Maddux acquisition was literally 5 minutes ago...just picked up his 2007 A&G Ginterback off of eBay.

mouschi

May 18, 2012
I really enjoy having a much more focused collection and It still provides me a nice cross-section of cards from great 90's inserts sets, parallels, game-used, and oddball stuff.

100 percent agreed!

Members online