Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Exclusives topps.com exclusives thread: TC Update Sapphire Ed 1/26?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
My box arrived yesterday afternoon, didn't get a chance to break until late last night and finally got around to getting pics of the better stuff. I'm PUMPED overall with how my box went...

Got 4 colored parallels vs the 6 on average
Got 1 1985 insert vs the 2 on average
No LouBob RC base nor Kyle Lewis
Got 3 die cuts vs the 1 on average

Notable base and RCs: Lux, Bichette, Tatis, Acuna, and Trout
Mmivy1Yl.jpg

6hGrdEzl.jpg

Inserts and refractors: 1985 Hoskins, Mercado green /99, Correa blue /75, and Biggio gold /50
QXNsjmgl.jpg

FBqGCkml.jpg

Die cuts: Luis Robert RC, Gavin Lux RC, and Gavin Lux gold refractor RC 10/50!
dS2ZIZcl.jpg

Pretty thrilled all around, especially with the base RCs and die cuts!
Love the die cuts!

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
From the breaks posted online, it sure seems like the "hits", the colors, etc. definitely are loaded in some boxes and either non-existent or very rare in some boxes.

And my box, with 2-3 of most guys, is not that unusual. Ugh.

Is it time to bring back the "Thanks Topps!" phrase? LOL

Is @ThoseBackPages even around anymore anywhere?

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Do i open or sell for $600?View attachment 116475

Sent from my SM-N970U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

If you are legitly too scared of the possibility of getting a rare box with zero hits then I would sell for $600. Honestly, only you know what profit margin keeps you happy at the lowest. I think it's a no brainer...you won't make as much on a sealed box like Finest Flashback because there is proof and video of empty hit boxes, and the die cut fiasco will also stop from people wanting to buy those sealed. Your best bet to sell sealed is wait for everyone else to get theirs, let the majority open them up, and wait for high demand from all the online breakers that are forever hungry for all wax to keep selling slots at lower spots and all that good stuff. You ask threads what you should do, you will always hear the majority of us scream RIP IT! Good luck with whatever you decide Zac :)

clarkzac

Oct 31, 2010
If you are legitly too scared of the possibility of getting a rare box with zero hits then I would sell for $600. Honestly, only you know what profit margin keeps you happy at the lowest. I think it's a no brainer...you won't make as much on a sealed box like Finest Flashback because there is proof and video of empty hit boxes, and the die cut fiasco will also stop from people wanting to buy those sealed. Your best bet to sell sealed is wait for everyone else to get theirs, let the majority open them up, and wait for high demand from all the online breakers that are forever hungry for all wax to keep selling slots at lower spots and all that good stuff. You ask threads what you should do, you will always hear the majority of us scream RIP IT! Good luck with whatever you decide Zac :)
I'm seriously torn on this one. It looks like a fun rip, but a risky one too. Tough to tell how long the base cards hold their high value right now, and im in the heat of harvest at work so I wont be listing on ebay any time soon

Sent from my SM-N970U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I might be the only person here who didn't know who Ben Baller was before seeing this post (or maybe the only one willing to admit it?). I just looked him up and then somehow found myself on Blowout, browsing a 100+ page thread about this product.

I really don't get it. There are so many things wrong with how this hobby has shifted in recent years. Maybe calling it a hobby is what is wrong now. It is definitely a much different game and one I really don't want to be a part of. I will just buy up my weird, old oddball stuff and some new autographs and Garvey stuff and go back under my rock. I've seen it so many times before and I agree, buy what you like. That is what I do. It's usually not popular, but it is what I like.

I did see a funny comment in the blowout thread, when someone asked who this Baller joker was and got the "Boomer" reply. Not quite old enough to be a boomer, but close.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Actually, there is a "raffle" type lottery for the right to buy them.

You can enter it from a link at the bottom of your "My Account" page.

IF selected, you can buy 2 boxes. $55 each.

Raffle ends 7/16 at 1PM ET...

I realize this is over but can you show me where I should be looking for these raffle type releases? On the left side my My Orders, My Downloadable Products etc... or in the main section to the right?

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I might be the only person here who didn't know who Ben Baller was before seeing this post (or maybe the only one willing to admit it?). I just looked him up and then somehow found myself on Blowout, browsing a 100+ page thread about this product.

I really don't get it. There are so many things wrong with how this hobby has shifted in recent years. Maybe calling it a hobby is what is wrong now. It is definitely a much different game and one I really don't want to be a part of. I will just buy up my weird, old oddball stuff and some new autographs and Garvey stuff and go back under my rock. I've seen it so many times before and I agree, buy what you like. That is what I do. It's usually not popular, but it is what I like.

I did see a funny comment in the blowout thread, when someone asked who this Baller joker was and got the "Boomer" reply. Not quite old enough to be a boomer, but close.

I didn't know who he was before the Project 2020 cards, and I don't find his designs to be attractive, they're so freaking gaudy.

Sorry but there's only one Baller for me.

88toppsballer.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Was Jay a Donruss Rated Rookie? Maybe not, but I do seem to remember his Donruss card. Maybe it was a nice action shot and he was a touted prospect?

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
Topps has grown their online offerings the last few years...Topps Now, Living Set, Project 2020, Montgomery, 1993 Finest and then now these. Collectors seem to be eating it up. I am like you guys here, I only stick to my narrow collecting focus shying away from these types of sets.

The amount of money to be made here defies logic. I don't have the time to follow these trends, nor the luxury to tie up hundreds of dollars on potential flips. Best of luck to those who can remain abreast and capitalize.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Was Jay a Donruss Rated Rookie? Maybe not, but I do seem to remember his Donruss card. Maybe it was a nice action shot and he was a touted prospect?

Looks like he had a RC in 1986 Donruss but it wasn't a Rated Rookie. Aside from that he was only in '86 Fleer Update, '88 Topps, and '93 Donruss. Pretty terrible career. But I still like him more than Ben.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
When there is money to be made, there are always going to be people who exploit the system. I was looking on offer up recently and saw someone in my area posted Topps Chrome for sale. There was a photo with a bunch of boxes and loose packs. I am making an assumption here, because I don't know the person, nor did I ask any questions, but I assume this guy went out and bought as much of it at different stores as he could find. His intent, again an assumption, was to flip it for a profit. This takes me back to the mid 90s when Starting Line-Ups caught on fire. I wanted to add to my collection certain pieces from each issue, but inevitably someone would either have a backdoor connection or spend every waking hour getting to stores at opening times, wiping the shelves and moving on, all in the name of flipping and making a profit. I rarely found any pieces that I wanted just by showing up at the store at a random time. Once again, the average Joe gets screwed and has to pay more if they want to play. This is the kind of activity that turns me off to the "new" collecting that I see so much of now.

Whatever though. It not my thing and although maybe I would still be buying packs/boxes even now if things worked differently, I am glad I have kicked that habit.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Yeah, no question.

There are guys buying up all the retail at WMs and Targets. Sometimes they even follow the guys who put the product out on the shelves from store-to-store...

Members online

Latest posts