Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

‘77 Burger King Lou Pinella card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So I just finished the book, The Bronx Zoo, by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock, and they dropped this interesting piece of baseball card knowledge. Apparently, back then, Pinella was Steinbrenner’s sons (and he doesn’t say which one) idol. “...Burger King put out a set of baseball cards with the pictures of the Yankees players on them, they forgot to include Pinella, and George called them up, reamed their a$$, and made them print a special Pinella card to add to the set.”

@dano7, do you have one?

tkd7

Jan 7, 2014
img061.jpg

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I've heard good things about the book. Never got around to reading it. Have you seen the Bronx is Burning on ESPN?

Yes, I only came to know of the Piniella last year or so. I picked up one soon after, just need to find the rest of the Burger King set now.

I previously thought the Burger King cards were identical to the Topps releases but there are variations aside from numbering. This article mentions the Piniella too, but I didn't know the back story behind why it was added.

tkd7 - nice card! Mine's is way off center.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I read it years ago, probably when I was in middle school. Lots of funny stuff in there. I still clearly recall the story about Sparky Lyle and the birthday cake!

tkd7

Jan 7, 2014
It was nice to get a real Reggie Jackson card in the BK set, not the airbrush version from the regular set.

img5671.jpg

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
I've heard good things about the book. Never got around to reading it. Have you seen the Bronx is Burning on ESPN?

Yes, I only came to know of the Piniella last year or so. I picked up one soon after, just need to find the rest of the Burger King set now.

I previously thought the Burger King cards were identical to the Topps releases but there are variations aside from numbering. This article mentions the Piniella too, but I didn't know the back story behind why it was added.

tkd7 - nice card! Mine's is way off center.

The book was good, very enjoyable, if you don’t mind a lot of bitching. Never seen the Bronx is Burning tho.

another interesting story I found is that Lyle used to help his dad with roofing when he was younger. His dad started getting upset because he kept going down for water breaks and was losing over an hour a day going up and down. His dad’s solution...start chewing tobacco. Different times man...

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
So I just finished the book, The Bronx Zoo, by Sparky Lyle and Peter Golenbock, and they dropped this interesting piece of baseball card knowledge. Apparently, back then, Pinella was Steinbrenner’s sons (and he doesn’t say which one) idol. “...Burger King put out a set of baseball cards with the pictures of the Yankees players on them, they forgot to include Pinella, and George called them up, reamed their a$$, and made them print a special Pinella card to add to the set.”

@dano7, do you have one?
I will have to check later today and get back to you.....probably a card I need!!!

Members online

Latest posts