Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1997 SPx Baseball Box Break

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
I'm going to bust a box of 1997 SPx baseball. This was my favorite product in 1997 -- opened around 10 boxes then -- never pulled a Grand Finale or an auto, hopefully I can get 1 of those today. I hadn't seen these boxes since 1997 but just recently stumbled onto 2 of them. Wish me luck!

1997spx.jpg

1997spxpack.jpg

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
WOW! What a start! I open the 2nd pack and see 2 gold cards peeking at me, I don't remember seeing that before! There it is! A Grand Finale! And Tony Gwynn to boot! Nice! I figured if I hit one it'd be Todd Walker or Todd Hundley or some scrub like that. :) And a Jeter Bronze in the 3rd pack!

Packs 1-3:

1-sm.jpg

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
Recap:

Base set: 33 cards - all different (4 have creases around the X die cut - which was very common from what I remember)
Steel Parallel: 10 cards - 9 different (doubled up on Ripken :) )
Bronze Parallel: 5 cards (Ripken, Nomar, Sosa, Jeter, Gant) - Jeter has a scratch on the back :(
Silver Parallel: 3 cards (Palmeiro, Smoltz, Erstad) - All 3 have major roller marks/creases :(
Gold Parallel: 1 (Deion Sanders)
Bound for Glory: 1 (Mo Vaughn 345/1500)
Grand Finale Parallel (Limited to 50): Tony Gwynn :)

SINFULONE

Sep 26, 2008
I love these cards, I ripped a couple boxes awhile back.The only bad thing is some of the parallels look almost exactly alike, but well designed cards.The Gwynn didn't really stand out, is it supposed to look like a base card?Where is the Vaughn insert, I didn't see it?I pulled a Bound For Glory out of mine as well, gorgeous card.

masonphillip

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
How can you tell it is a Grand Finale, I should look in my Jeter collection, I have a three row shoe box of Jeters from the 90's

It would be worth your time [phil]190652921584[/phi] - check out what the last Jeter sold for.

The Gwynn is awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts