Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1905 Eastern Shore League frank baker Pocomoke team card

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
I recently received this 1905 Pocomoke Eastern Shore League baseball card with frank home run baker on it I was wondering what this could be worth and its rarity. Thanks
baker2.jpg

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
I cant even see the picture.

If it is actually Frank Baker, then it has some value.
The guy you want to show it to is Phil Garry ("bcbgcbrcb" on net54). He is the top collector in earliest cards/images of HOFers

BTW how did you connect that 1905 Pocomoke "Baker" to Frank? I cant with the few google searches Ive done

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
Sorry about the bad pictures
I know frank baker played on the eastern shore leagues before he made it big and I'm certain the pic is him
Is this a rc?

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
Frank Baker played in the Eastern Shore League just before he retired and became a manager in the league in the 1920s

from this page the ESL didnt start until 1922
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Shore_League

everything Im finding has "Pocomoke City" entering the league in 1922 the first year of the league.

its looking like this "1905 Pocomoke Base Ball Team" is an amateur team... still if the player is Frank then you have something.

But Im having trouble connecting the 2 via the internet

Postcards like yours are naturally rare, most were made in numbers of less than 100 if not far less. But just because its rare doesnt mean its valuable... but if its Frank then it would be.
(If I could actually see the person on the PC it may help in IDing him)

If Frank
It would be considered his Prookie (Pre-Rookie), by some.... some collectors also collect photos of all types, not only baseball cards.
thats the guys that would spend good $$ on it

but you would need proof its Frank Baker and not just some "Baker"
got any???

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
try scanning the pc, front and back, with a closeup on the player IDed as "Baker"

you will need good pics to go any further anyways...

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
I found out Frank was born only a few counties away from pocomoke.

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
much better on the new scan (go closeup on the player too)

he would be 19 yrsold in 1905
does look like him, you may have something there

here he is on the 1908 Horner Cabinet (previously considered his earliest piece)
bakerfr01a.jpg

Next step... Id recommend signing up for Net54 and posting this info over there, you will get the top experts in vintage cards and baseball in general over there

http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2
like I said earlier, Phil Garry is the expert on this type of material

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
PS Id say its 99% him, nice card :) condition doesnt mean much on this type of item, Im wondering if anyone has another one of these???

lol in reference to the handwritten note on the front of your pc..... "20 cents a dozen"

I'll take 2 dozen ;)

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Baker was living in Trappe, MD in 1905 and according to one biography... "In 1905, Baker's exploits with a local amateur team caught the eye of Trappe native Preston Day, who recommended the youngster to future major leaguer Buck Herzog, then managing a semipro outfit in nearby Ridgely. After looking Baker over, Herzog signed Frank to a $5 per week contract, and moved him to third base."

Pocomoke is about 80 miles from Trappe. It's possible this was the "local amateur team" mentioned above. Baker on the postcard is the player farthest to the right. It sure looks like that young man has the same facial characteristics as Baker. You may be on to something.

5d4meqh6durdd5mu.jpg

homerunbaker.jpg
home-run-baker-hof-1.jpg

Interesting to me is that the postcard is a salesman's sample. This card may never have been produced beyond this sample.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Just found this... Sure sounds like your photo postcard.

"A picture of the Pocomoke team of 1905 shows the short, stocky (Al) Burris with a solid team composed of several of his old cohorts, Si Nicholls, Jack Townsend, Chappy Charles, and newcomer Frank "Home Run" Baker. In 1907 Burris helped Cambridge claim the informal Maryland State Championship under the management of former Pocomoke teammate Leonard Bassett and featuring Frank Baker. The town was determined to put an equally good team on the field the following season. When Burris was named manager prior to the 1908 season, it was announced that he had "never managed a losing team." (Cambridge Daily Banner, June 13, 1908) Cambridge claimed the Maryland-Delaware championship that year, after a hotly contested series against Seaford, Delaware, which brought back Buck Herzog from the Giants to manage and play shortstop. Intermittently through these years, Burris traveled north to play in the Silver Lake Assembly in New York."

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?a=v&v=l&pid=1886&bid=1180

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?a=v&v=l&bid=1742&pid=506

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
More info the burris player on the front matches the name the address was sent to on the back

fkw

May 28, 2010
Kea'au, HI
cool info gracecollector, sound like the same PC

very cool on the Burris info, adds to the story

e.v. where did you get it? and was it advertised as Frank Baker when you picked it up?
looks like someone already did this detective work before

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
e.v. said:
More info the burris player on the front matches the name the address was sent to on the back

Makes sense, the salesman was trying to persuade the team manager (Al Burris) to buy team postcards to sell as souvenirs. At 20 cents a pound! :lol:

All the evidence points to a legit card. Is the signature in fountain ink and appropriately faded (looks like it)? Is there a postcard manufacturer listed on the back of the card?

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
All the writing looks faded.no company is listed unless the stamp covers it up it was stamped for shipping on the back reading sep. 10th 8pm1905 the adress reads a. b. Burris Charlestown Md

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
Thanks for the help ,
any ideas for price?
Should I get it graded?

Jastermereel

Dec 20, 2008
Not sure if you just overlooked the question or conveniently passed over it, but most people who would be interested in the card will want to know how you acquired it.

darrend505

Aug 9, 2008
From the sound of it, what you have is one of a kind! You may not be able to get it graded. Not sure. Would send it the info to SGC to find out!

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
e.v. said:
Thanks for the help ,
any ideas for price?
Should I get it graded?

Authenticated, not graded.

I'd be guessing on price. Semi-Pro less desirable than MLB, but it is his first card. The writing to Burris helps and postmark is nice for dating. Some collectors don't like items where players are not in uniform. I have nothing to base this on other than experience, but $200-$350 authenticated sounds about right to me. Maybe I'm way off.

Baker in 1908
1908_Reading.jpg

Baker in 1910. This sold for $705 but is much nicer condition and a very famous team loaded with stars.
Item_11739_1.jpg

e.v.

Jan 23, 2011
My Grandfather's Brother in law gave this to my grandparents who in turn gave this to me. I am uncertain where my grandfather's brother in law got it.

Latest posts