Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1934 Goudey in poor, poor condition...and my favorite

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
Okay, so those who know my collecting habits...Dick Porter is a focus. With only two main cards, it's limited to chase so I always look for oddballs, mis-cuts, etc. so why is this copy my favorite (out of roughly 60 copies of this card including a PSA 8)? The era handwriting on the back. Sure, it's not Dick's handwriting, but it shows clearly the team transition after was traded from Cleveland to Boston in 1934.

1934 he was traded to Boston.
1935-1936 he played for the Newark Bears (Yankees)
1937-1940 he played for and managed the Syracuse Chiefs (Cincy & Pitt.)

So this example shows a gradual following of Dick's career from 1934-1937, edited for each year.

porter-goudey-marked.png

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have several '50s Topps cards like that, mostly with writing on the front. A kid marked out the team name and wrote in the new team.
My dad says he used to do that too.
I think they're cool that way.

scotty216brs

Apr 15, 2012
MA
Haven't seen a Dick Porter post from you in ages, Mike. Love the writing on it. I am not a fan of high grade vintage, loses that old school feel, IMO. Give me a card with creases, tape, pinholes, rounded corners, etc...and I'll be happy. The more character the better.