Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1970'S RC Cola Johnny Bench Transistor Radio & ball cap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have been a bit of a fan of the food issues throughout the years. When I first got into baseball in the late 70s, RC Cola was selling cans with current ball players on them and I remember buying several. Over the years, I have added more cans, a few iron-on/transfers and other things. Can't say I recall RC Cola being something I really wanted to drink back then, but the baseball cans sure were cool.

I am always wanting to add unique food promotional items/cards related to sports, especially the soda items. This past week I saw an item I had never seen before and was unaware of. I probably overpaid and will see them pop up all the time now, but I just had to grab the lot. It was the Johnny Bench transistor radio, shaped like a RC Cola can and a ballcap advertising it. I would love to find an ad that showed the promotion and how you obtained the radio next.

Anyway, along with that, I found some other neat stuff RC put out over the years. All great stuff. The Unitas is mine, also a new pick-up. The rest are just scans I found online.

Bench RC radio.jpgRC Iron On Carew.jpgRC Iron On Hang Tag B.jpgRC Iron On Hang Tag.jpgs-l640.jpgs-l1600.jpg1978-BOB-LANIER-RC-COLA-ROYAL-CROWN-Super.jpgunusb4uruo1e.jpg

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
RC was delicious...I always liked it better than Coke and especially Pepsi. 😋

Neat stuff there!

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Like RC cola, but don’t remember the baseball cans (regional issue?). I still have some Coke bottle caps, with an entire sheet of the football ones. Cool collection there!!!

fordman

Feb 22, 2013
Ohio
The grocery stores all over Cincy had those RC promotional bottle cards. We had a local RC/7up bottler and those drivers hated having to put those things on when filling the store shelves. I only know this because I was a member of Teamsters Local 1199 (Pepsi/Coke/RC-7Up/Dr. Pepper) in the late 80's and you 'd hear the guys complain about returnable bottles being phased out. Those guys got $0.03 per return bottle. The Union hall had stacks of all kinds of bottle promotional items. They're all gone now as the Union hall was demolished years ago. Not sure if that stuff was thrown away or if someone boxed it up and kept it all.

Fordman

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Wow, Bake McBride is one of my all-time favorites and I have his RC can, but I never knew about the iron-ons but now I absolutely need one if it exists. One of those real 0 to 60 moments from complete ignorance to complete obsession.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
As far as I know, each team had 5 players that were featured on iron ons. Sometimes you see singes, but often they were in 5 player strips.I don't know if McBride was one of the Cards (or Phillies) depending on when they were made/issued. Here is a photo of an A's strip I got not that long ago and have not stashed away yet. Unfortunately, they don't pop up often enough, but there may be some google images perhaps? If Rose was on the Philly sheet, there is a Rose collection site that must have it, but I think that would have been after the promotion when he went to Philly.

image0.jpeg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, my strip pretty much solved the year riddle. Gary Thomasson was only with the A's in 1978. It was only a very short time in 1978, in fact. He was traded by the Giants to the A's on March 15. On June 15, the A's traded him to the Yankees. it's possible that these were made and out there right before or even after the trade to the Yanks, but these are definitely 1978 and no way they were designed or issued before March, as there would be no way to know Thomasson would go to Oakland before then.

Furthermore, North is also a big clue too. He was traded to the Dodgers May 17, 1978. That only leaves about a 2 month gap where both North and Thomasson were on the A's, March 15-May 17! These were probably some sort of opening day roster type thing.

Members online