Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1996 Leaf - Bronze/Silver/Gold Press Proof Discussion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
Anytime I think of the 96 Leaf Press Proofs, I also think of the 96 Studio Press Proofs as their sister set, since they were both issued in the same year by the same manufacturer with the same colors. Studio was more challenging, with the silver press proof limited to 100 and only found in retail hanger magazine packs. Both were challenging to complete in the pre-eBay days, but became easier in later years.

96LEAF.jpg
96LEAFBRONZE.jpg
96LEAFSILVER.jpg
96LEAFGOLD.jpg

96STUDIO.jpg
96STUDIOBRONZE.jpg
96STUDIOSILVER.jpg
96STUDIOGOLD.jpg

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
[MENTION=1845]gracecollector[/MENTION] - Good call for sure. Both really really hard. The silver for both sets was the final cards I needed for the rainbow.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Cool thread and cards. Looked for Jim Thome cards but didn't see any. I'm guessing he wasn't in the set.

Bad news for you, Thome is in the set, #169 . I have the Silver PP, don't remember how or where I lucked into it. I never have trouble finding the PPs in general, but it's always commons and very minor stars. A while back, I picked up a whole pile of these, mostly Bronzes (and a few that I can't easily tell if they're Bronze or Gold).

Just checked, there's a Thome Silver on COMC for a good price, as well as a Bronze for a not-so-good price.

Last edited:

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I still need the Gold. Thought I found one for cheap on COMC recently but turned out to be a bronze. I couldn't really tell from their scan and it was listed with the dreaded [Missing] description.

Burbank has it but the $10 shipping charge is a deal-breaker. Might put together a multi-card order with them sometime to soften the shipping charge.

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
I'm amazed at the amount of people still chasing them almost 20 yrs later .Didn't realize they were HTF but I haven't been looking in 15 years or so. That Studio Silver was a b*t** to find and I only got my Clark because of a huge trade but I know the person I got it from paid $400 for the damn thing. (Yes , way over priced but that's how he rolls)

Ryan

magicpapa

Aug 7, 2008
I'm amazed at the amount of people still chasing them almost 20 yrs later .Didn't realize they were HTF but I haven't been looking in 15 years or so. That Studio Silver was a b*t** to find and I only got my Clark because of a huge trade but I know the person I got it from paid $400 for the damn thing. (Yes , way over priced but that's how he rolls)

Ryan
I never really chased the Griffey Studio PP's............. But did pick up the Silver a few years back........... needa Gold And Bronze....... hint hint ;)

1996silverpressproof.jpg

Last edited:

AddOne63

Oct 13, 2021
Hoquiam, WA
Any many collectors know or at least those from the '90s, 1996 Leaf had three parallel sets to the base set which has a somewhat refractor like finish but one was bronze color, one was silver and the other was gold. They were "Press Proofs."

The main set had 220 cards in it and the Bronze Press Proof set was SP to 2000 copies, Silver Press Proof set was SP to 1000 copies and the Gold Press Proof set was SP to 500. These were randomly inserted into packs at 1:10 and everyone wanted a Gold obviously. Each Press Proof was printed with holographic foil with the "Leaf 96" logo stamped in either Gold, Silver, or Bronze foil. The cards are NOT serial-numbered, and the words "PRESS PROOF" appear nowhere on the card.

IMO, the hardest to find was/is the Silver Press Proof because some people might not even know that they have it give how light the silver looked. Also, it is also very difficult to tell the difference between Gold and Bronze because of how similar they looked.

Anyone have their guys rainbow? Anyone ever collect a master set of any of the Press Proofs? Thoughts on the set?
Just joined, we have lots of the card stock for sale if anyone is interested?

Members online