Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

1999 Pacific Invincible Red

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
Has anyone heard of this parallel set before? I just picked up a few on COMC (Piazza, Higgison, Randy Johnson), never seen them before and can't find any info about them online. Beckett catalogs them at their site, but not in any of their books. Only auction I can find for one is a Rickey: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/150678169534

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
These are pretty tough. They are probably just about as rare as the numbered parallels from that set (possibly rarer). It must've changed recently, Beckett didn't list them even though I'd sent them the actual cards about 5 years ago. They were originally intended to be inserted in Wal-Mart packs in 1999 but shortly before their release, Anderson News (the company that supplied Wal-Mart with cards) went out of business (at least the card side of their business). I never saw any of these in 1999 but saw them for the first time in 2000. They were inserted into unmarked full retail boxes for sale at Shop-ko stores. They usually fell about 2-3 per box. I managed to put together most of the set before they dried up. Then in 2004 an eBay seller had about 10 sets of these that he got from the Pacific bankruptcy auction. I bought 5 of them. I still have 3 of them plus a lot of extras.
-- Andy

clarkfan

Sep 15, 2009
Definitely a tough retail issued parallel. I finally picked up the Will Clark a year or two ago. The retail red's can be pain in the butt to find especially the ones where the regular card set is large.

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
99PACIFICINVINCIBLERED.jpg

VizquelCollector.com

Jul 31, 2009
This is one of the few times I'm THRILLED Omar wasn't included in a set. He was in a ton of Pacific stuff but somehow left out of Invincible in 1999. Not counting 1/1's, I think I have all of his Pacific cards. Finding out I missed this one would've absolutely caused something to get broken on my desk. Phew! :lol:

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
VizquelCollector.com said:
This is one of the few times I'm THRILLED Omar wasn't included in a set. He was in a ton of Pacific stuff but somehow left out of Invincible in 1999. Not counting 1/1's, I think I have all of his Pacific cards. Finding out I missed this one would've absolutely caused something to get broken on my desk. Phew! :lol:

I can't say I'm thrilled about this discovery. I now have at least 20 extra cards to track down, ones that look like they will be extremely hard to find. The three Reds I picked up weren't even listed as Reds, so adding those to the two Reds listed on COMC makes a grand total of five. None on ebay, unless they're being sold as base cards by someone who doesn't know about the Reds.

gracecollector said:
Why can I not find a Grace 1999 Pacific Aurora Red? Last Pacific card I need besides the near-mythical 98 Pacific Online Winner. Anyone else have trouble with this one?

I don't own any of the Aurora Reds for any of my PC players. I haven't even seen any. COMC has a Clemens and a handful of scrubs. Someone needs to track down and crack a whole mess of 1999 Aurora retail boxes and help us all out!

AndruwHRJones

Aug 9, 2008
gracecollector said:
Why can I not find a Grace 1999 Pacific Aurora Red? Last Pacific card I need besides the near-mythical 98 Pacific Online Winner. Anyone else have trouble with this one?

I guess I am lucky, at least you know they exist:

AuroraRed.jpg

trauty

Oct 8, 2010
gracecollector said:

DeliciousBacon said:
I don't own any of the Aurora Reds for any of my PC players. I haven't even seen any. COMC has a Clemens and a handful of scrubs. Someone needs to track down and crack a whole mess of 1999 Aurora retail boxes and help us all out!

The Aurora Reds were in Wal-Mart packs only and were inserted 2 or 3 per box (I'm leaning towards 2). With Aurora packs at $2.99 and almost nothing to pull out of them, they weren't a hot seller. There weren't any of these sets available from the Pacific auction but there were a few inserted with the random assorted 100 ct packs of junk cards that were packed out by Fairfield in 2003-05.

tonsofcommons

Aug 20, 2008
Iowa
I have a Red McGwire.

Hey MMM Bacon, I will see if any of the ones I still have are players that you collect and send them your way.

gradedeflator

Mar 31, 2011
yeah, glad this post came up--thanks to the OP. I didn't really know these were that hard to find:

MartinezPedro_1999PacificInvincibleRed.jpg

are all of the red Pacific variants this difficult, or just some?

also have these:

MartinezPedro_1999PacificCrownCollectionRed.jpg

MartinezPedro_1999PacificRed.jpg

MartinezPedro_1998PacificRedThreatt.jpg

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
tonsofcommons said:
It's my belief that the Red are the hardest to find because of the method of distribution.

The 1999 Prisms Red are another incredibly hard set to find. I picked up a Todd Helton on COMC but that's about it. These just don't turn up.

Did you see my latest Pacific pickups in the 90's thread? Got some sweet sweet stuff! :D

gracecollector

Aug 7, 2008
Lake in the Hills, IL
99PACIFICPRISMSRED.jpg

Retail reds were sometimes only distributed at 7-Eleven or Walmart stores. Reds really are undervalued as to scarcity, but since they are only a color variant and not serial numbered, there's less demand.

Members online

Latest posts