Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Collecting Goals

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
So what are those 47 sets of 90's inserts that you've assembled?
Whole bunch of Ultra stuff, a 1995 Zenith Z-Team, 1997 Ultra Hitting Machines, and a bunch of others.

I also added the 1998 Donruss Signature Significant Signatures set to my list and I'm 9 cards away from finishing a master run of it.

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Well here we are at 9/22/21. Happy fall equinox to everyone.

Looking back at my goals for 2021, here's where I stand...

A new year is just around the corner, hopefully bringing better days with it. So, optimistically speaking, what are you hoping to accomplish over the next year in your collections? Here's my list.

For my Alomar PC:

1) Reduce new card purchases even further. At current count there are 537 unique issues from 2020, which as I've said before is just asinine. I've only bought 55 of them, but that still adds up to several hundred dollars that I shoulda coulda used to buy higher priced stuff from his playing career.
Done! Currently, my checklist shows 260 new unique releases for 2021, and I own exactly 13 of them. That's 5.0% for those of you scoring at home. And I'm proud of it. I'm just buying a few really cool new cards that strike a chord with me. And to hell with the rest of them.

As a side note, I suppose things are different this year since the homes got banned from MLB for life. Until that news dropped a few months ago, he had something like 200 new unique card issues for 2021. Since then, just a few dozen. And I suspect those were already in the pipeline.

For comparison, my final count for 2020 was 615 unique new cards, and I have 70 of them, which is ridiculous. So I'm really glad those numbers are reduced significantly for 2021.

2) Land another 90's white whale. There's roughly 10 or so I'm missing, so one of them has to pop up this year, right? One that's not in the hands of our favorite hostage holders, that is.

This one is a maybe. I got a few fairly rare 90's inserts that I'm stoked about. But not one of the usual White Whale suspects. Those cards are still orbiting out there, and I will have them eventually.

3) Find other collectors to trade with. This is a lot harder than it sounds. Maybe once I finish scanning my collection, and get a website up, that will help.
Hah. Yeah right. Finding other Alomar collectors is like pulling teeth. I did connect with a fellow named Derek from the Great White North this year, and we did a nice trade. But otherwise it's like crossing the Gobi on foot. It's been done, but it's hard.

3a) Finish scanning my collection :)
I did make progress on this one. I finished scanning all the Playoff cards tonight, which took me up to 2222 cards scanned. Only 2399 left to go. Given that I started this project in May 2020, I guess I'll be done sometime in summer 2023.

But I'll say this. It's really awesome to be able to pull up high res scans of your collection on your computer. Its the next best thing to thumbing through them in person. And sometimes even better. Scans often bring out some really nice colors, textures, and details that you don't see in person.

Also you can flip back and forth between images to see the differences between parallels, and who doesn't love doing that? Maybe it's just obsessive nerds like me, but still. I really like my burgeoning digital collection.

Other goal:

4) Continue to add to my "Denver sports heroes" auto card collection. I started this little collection this year, and it features guys like Fat Lever, Steve Watson, Alex English, Dante Bichette. Guys I really enjoyed watching over the past few decades.
Yes! I have added a few here. Andres Galarraga, Dan Issel, Bryant Stith, and my homie Seth Smith to name a few. I love this little collection.

Last edited:

Topnotchsy

Featured Contributor, The best players in history?
Aug 7, 2008
Damn. Nice work.
Thanks! The contract was a piece I've been searching for, for years, so that was super exciting.

With the lineup cards, it's always a crapshoot as far as what will become available. I definitely overpaid on some, but also found some really nice deals on others.

Members online

Latest posts