Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 MLB Playoff Contest: CLOSED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
@metallicalex777

I posted my response before seeing your comments! Although the initial 6 players for each contestant were randomly selected, it was never the intent to have NL pitchers “double dip” with both Game Scores.

Don’t mean to ruffle any feathers, but let’s limit a player’s primary Game Score to their primary position.

Thank heavens that Ohtani isn’t playing. haha

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Another question. Is there a tie breaker that ESPN uses for the 30th spot on the batting list if 2 or more players are tied in points?
Corey Seager had 61.25 points on 10/8. Eloy Jimenez also had 61.25 points that day. However, Seager is not on the MLB top 30 batting list, but Eloy Jimenez is and holds the 30th spot. Comparing other players tied for various ranks, best I can tell is that they're in order of their game time that day.

21f1d4de-ab14-44a3-b0dc-4affa9e10575_text.gif :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
@metallicalex777

I posted my response before seeing your comments! Although the initial 6 players for each contestant were randomly selected, it was never the intent to have NL pitchers “double dip” with both Game Scores.

Don’t mean to ruffle any feathers, but let’s limit a player’s primary Game Score to their primary position.

Thank heavens that Ohtani isn’t playing. haha

This is what makes these games so fun, so many different avenues of keeping track of performance. Zero feathers ruffled of mine!

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
Another question. Is there a tie breaker that ESPN uses for the 30th spot on the batting list if 2 or more players are tied in points?
Corey Seager had 61.25 points on 10/8. Eloy Jimenez also had 61.25 points that day. However, Seager is not on the MLB top 30 batting list, but Eloy Jimenez is and holds the 30th spot. Comparing other players tied for various ranks, best I can tell is that they're in order of their game time that day.

View attachment 314454 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This is truly an outstanding question, and I applaud your commitment to the discussing the game’s unintended nuances!

I am not aware of any method ESPN uses to break a tie for 30th place other than the possible game start time.

As you know, all higher ranked ties are included, but there is a hard cut off at #30.

Ties are certainly not broken alphabetically. It also isn’t consistently the next stat column if the previous one was a tie.

Ie; if H/AB is a tie, then go to the HR column. If still a tie, go to the Run column, etc…

May I ask how you know Seager scored 61.25 on the 8th? I cannot find any hitter game scores in the main box score or their individual game log page.

Are you manually calculating your players using the formula?

ESPN* 59 + H + R + .25*BB + .25*HitByPitch + TB + .25*SB - .25*CaughtStealing + .25*SacFlies + .25*SacHits + RBI - .25*K - .25*Outs

If so, bravo. Very impressed.

This brings me to the following point: unless there is a place to quickly and easily verify any player’s Game Score outside the daily top 30, they will not count if they are not shown in the daily leaders page.

This is an unfortunate coincidence if you happened to have a player tied for 30th on a given day, but they did not appear on the list.

However, it would be too cumbersome to expect everyone to manually calculate all of their fringe player’s Game Score each and every time.

Ultimately, The Game Score notes in the OP will stand:

Only the top hitter Game Scores are shown, so if your player does not appear on the list for that day, they earn zero points.

If I could award some bonus points for your keen observation, I would, but alas, all I can extend is a virtual high five! haha

Hope you understand!

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
This is truly an outstanding question, and I applaud your commitment to the discussing the game’s unintended nuances!

I am not aware of any method ESPN uses to break a tie for 30th place other than the possible game start time.

As you know, all higher ranked ties are included, but there is a hard cut off at #30.

Ties are certainly not broken alphabetically. It also isn’t consistently the next stat column if the previous one was a tie.

Ie; if H/AB is a tie, then go to the HR column. If still a tie, go to the Run column, etc…

May I ask how you know Seager scored 61.25 on the 8th? I cannot find any hitter game scores in the main box score or their individual game log page.

Are you manually calculating your players using the formula?

ESPN* 59 + H + R + .25*BB + .25*HitByPitch + TB + .25*SB - .25*CaughtStealing + .25*SacFlies + .25*SacHits + RBI - .25*K - .25*Outs

If so, bravo. Very impressed.

This brings me to the following point: unless there is a place to quickly and easily verify any player’s Game Score outside the daily top 30, they will not count if they are not shown in the daily leaders page.

This is an unfortunate coincidence if you happened to have a player tied for 30th on a given day, but they did not appear on the list.

However, it would be too cumbersome to expect everyone to manually calculate all of their fringe player’s Game Score each and every time.

Ultimately, The Game Score notes in the OP will stand:

Only the top hitter Game Scores are shown, so if your player does not appear on the list for that day, they earn zero points.

If I could award some bonus points for your keen observation, I would, but alas, all I can extend is a virtual high five! haha

Hope you understand!
There are league filters on the Game Score page: MLB, AL, and NL. So, by going through dates only looking at NL players, I accidentally discovered that he was tied for 30th that day. Then I did manually calculate both of their scores to ensure there wasn't a "thousandths" number that was dropped through rounding. I like math. :D
You could put the onus on each participant to file a formal appeal (i.e. posting in this thread) if they happen to find a similar situation on their team. I'm cool with however you rule it, though... (y)

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
There are league filters on the Game Score page: MLB, AL, and NL. So, by going through dates only looking at NL players, I accidentally discovered that he was tied for 30th that day. Then I did manually calculate both of their scores to ensure there wasn't a "thousandths" number that was dropped through rounding. I like math. :D
You could put the onus on each participant to file a formal appeal (i.e. posting in this thread) if they happen to find a similar situation on their team. I'm cool with however you rule it, though... (y)

Of course it would be something so simple like adjusting the league filter!

Maybe I’ll incorporate an AL/NL element for a future game, but let’s keep this one for the top 30 for all of MLB…especially since the game is well under way.

On the bright side, if Lumberjack Bingo ever re-emerges, there is more than enough onus on the contestant in that game to make up for this contest. haha

Sorry for the unfortunate outcome with Seager, but hopefully that doesn’t come about too often.

metallicalex777

Super Moderator
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle, Wa
Good catch, Alex! Sorry about that. It will be added to the next update.

It takes a village, right? ha

I take it as you are testing us to ensure we are staying actively engaged :) I like math too, and it's fun to track these before you post just to see if my brain is not as dumb as it sometimes seems.

cjedmonton

Sep 20, 2009
Great White North
@MrMet, @thelesquad, @WCTYSON, @Gwynn545, @clarkzac, @Dazed, @metallicalex777, @dano7, @mrmopar, @deaconblues63, @gt2590, @JVHaste, @banjar, @chippernate, @Letch77

*****ENCORE******
PLAYER'S CHOICE ALERT

EVERYONE MAY NOW ADD ANY ONE HITTER OR ANY ONE STARTING PITCHER NOT IN THE PLAYER LIST.

THEIR SCORES WILL COUNT FROM THE ALCS/NLCS FORWARD.

HOWEVER, IT IS FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.

ONCE A PLAYER IS CLAIMED, NO ONE ELSE MAY CLAIM THEM.

PLEASE POST YOUR CHOICE IN THIS THREAD BEFORE 6PM EASTERN FRIDAY OCT 15th, BUT NO EDITING.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts