Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anybody ever had to deal with a Herniated Cervical disc?

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
For the last few months I've been experiencing pretty severe pain in my neck, upper back and shoulders.
In the last week or so I've experienced numbness in my fingertips on my right hand. (insert you're own political joke here)
Well I ended up having an MRI done last Wednesday and was told that I have 3-4 bulging discs and one herniated disc.
These are the discs located in the upper portion of my back, more so in my neck.
I'm waiting on a call to set up an appointment to find out what my options are.
It doesn't seem to bother me during the day but at night the pain is extremely bad, probably some of the worst I've ever had to deal with.
I was just curious if anyone else has had to deal with this and how theirs was treated.
Any opinions?
David

Mighty Bombjack

Aug 7, 2008
My wife has dealt with something very similar, but in the lower back, so her pain and numbness occur there and down through her legs. Our friend from college runs a pain management clinic, and he has given her two epidural injections of steroids in order to surround the herniated disc. Each time has given her a great deal of relief in order to allow the discs to repair themselves. She is starting to see real, hopefully longer-lasting relief with her physical therapy. That, and the use of prescription cannabis extract in her morning coffee and evening tea. I love living in Colorado (you may have read more about that in another thread).

Good luck, man. Back pain is a real byatch.

dadofandrew

Aug 7, 2008
My wife also has dealt with the herniated disc in her lower back. Got to the point where she couldnt sleep for longer then 45 mins to an hour without having to get up and walk around to ease the pain. She ended up getting 3 cortizon shots over 6 months and that has helped a lot. She still has some moments of numbness in her feet or legs but for the most part she has healed. Shes lucky the 3rd shot worked otherwise they would have had to surgically repair it.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
I know, I know, I said I was getting off of here but then I saw your post and wanted to reply.
I too have had lower back problems and can relate to the pain from the sciatic nerve running down my legs. Very painful.
The same thing happens with the cervical discs but it's your arms that feel the pain and tingling.
I've been diagnosed with degeneritive disc disease and have had an injection of cortisone.
That didn't help at all.
I've also had another injection, but I can't remember what it was called.
I know they used some type of camara to inject it exactly into the source of pain and it worked wonders for about 4 years.
I'm guessing that's what's going to happen again, along with physical therapy.
The last option is surgery from what I've been told. Not looking forward to that so much but if that's what it takes, I'll go for it.
Cannabis huh? May have to give that a try.
;)

Labratt21

Aug 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I had a bruised disk a few years back while I was in graduate school and it was the absolute worst pain I ever had. It wasn't just the back pain and the spasms. It was also the spasms in my legs as a result of the disk. Fortunately, I had access to on campus docs and physical therapists and after about 4 months of physical therapy things were "normal." They had me do alot of pilates and I felt great after those workouts. I know your condition is much more severe than just a bruised disk, but see what's available to you in the way of physical therapy (though I'm sure you've already done that.)

HPC

Aug 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I have 4 bulging discs in my lower back.

(my L2-5)

Unless the doctor says surgery is immediately needed, they will order physical therapy/pain management for probably 3-6 months and prescribe some painkillers.

For me, since im a bigger dude--6'4, 300-- I needed a stronger pill to really relieve the pain. Problem is if I took the pill id be asleep all day, so Id miss work. So i never really took many of them and have had to learn to deal with it.

Hopefully youll find something that works for you.

dethomas07

Aug 7, 2008
Ashland, KY
I have this issue and have for around 4 years. Mine is lower back and combined with spinal stenosis.

They started me on pain meds but I hated the way they made me feel so I haven't taken any past the first 2-3 weeks. Physical therapy to strengthen the area around the discs helps. Swimming is good for it.

They said surgery could help for awhile but when my spine thinned out a bit more, I would have the same issue and would continue to have it.

Good luck!
David

jdbrak

Feb 16, 2009
Dont get surgery. I had herniated discs in my lower back with stenosis as well as a couple in my lower C-spine - went to a personal trainer, got some cortisone shots, and im still playing basketball all the time. Neck is different - tougher to deal with - but be in shape and it tends to be manageable. Traction helps the neck; theres a machine i have for that but i dont use it enough. Stretch every day.

Artur77

Apr 30, 2020
My sister had surgery in January 2008. - removed a hernia of 12 mm in the lumbar region. She did not have very strong pains, oddly enough (even the doctors were surprised), but, nevertheless, she did not even have severe pains for six months, and her leg was taken away a month before the operation. , After the operation, the numbness immediately disappeared, the pain during walking for a week intensified (it was painful to step forward with this foot), then weakened after 3 weeks. after the operation completely disappeared. There were the first 2 about a year after the operation, exacerbations were rare, but their condition was even better than before the operation. The last 2 years, everything is calm, nothing prevents.
My friend didn’t do the operation, he was treated several times, and it seems that now he feels rather well.

David T.

Sep 4, 2008
Ha! I don't visit here very often but did this morning and saw this post of mine from 8 years ago. I thought it was strange seeing up towards the top.
Anyways, 8 years later and I don't remember ever having anything done other than muscle relaxers and ibuprofen.
I honestly can't remember the last time I've experienced any pain.
I'm good to go, or it could be that I'm getting so old that other aches and pains drown this particular pain out.
Hope everyone has been doing well and staying safe through these bizarre times we're going through.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest posts