Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Anyone have a complete (or near) run of those small 80s store boxed sets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Last edited:

RStadlerASU22

Jan 2, 2013
My add when I can project on these is getting the sealed ones with Will Clark on the back CL.

BBC for .25 that seems like a great buy

Ryan

carlitoson

Aug 7, 2008
I have a few of those but nowhere near all of them. The owner of the shop I used to go to always had a home-made board made up of “peel-off” tabs numbered 1-100. Whenever a customer bought a hobby box or spent a certain amount, he/she could peel off a number to reveal a little bonus freebie. He’d have a bunch of neat stuff hidden on that board including obscure things like those types of sets.

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I've got probably a monster box or so full of them. They are pretty rampant at the flea markets and while I've never been lucky enough to find them for a quarter, I don't think I've paid more than a $1. I love the Woolworth sets as they used to have one by me and my mom would always buy me one when we went. Not worth much but I really do enjoy them.

Austin

Aug 7, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I have all of the Fleer small sets and most of the Topps.
My Dad used to buy them for me. Then a few years ago, I decided to collect all of them by using the annual Beckett Almanac as a checklist.

I have them all in pages in a binder, because when they were in their boxes I never looked at them.
What's the point of having them in you're just going to throw them in a monster box or something?

The Fleer small boxed set designs were mostly bright and colorful. Fleer even reused some of the designs for their major sets in the early 2000s.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I just went through all of mine, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I own 56/57. I'm even more embarrassed to admit that I immediately went on ebay and ordered the 1988 Topps/Rite Aid Team MVPs set.

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I own quite a few sets that aren't mentioned in the article:
1990 Topps/KayBee Kings of Baseball
1436481074828.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Last edited:

gmarutiak

Jul 23, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Also, I have two of the exact same sets from 1985, but in different boxes. The one on the left is mentioned in the article.
1436483513926.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

BBCgalaxee

Sep 9, 2011
Make sure you all check your boardwalk baseball sets.

There's a variation (pricey I think) which doesn't have the "/" between the B's.

Sent from my HTCONE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I actually went to Boardwalk and Baseball in the short time it was open and bought my set there from them directly in 1988!

predatorkj

Aug 7, 2008
I have them all in pages in a binder, because when they were in their boxes I never looked at them.
What's the point of having them in you're just going to throw them in a monster box or something?

Lol...I've got too many sets as is. I like them consolidated.

Will Style 13

Feb 9, 2012
York, PA
I'll have to look to see how many I have I know I have quite few. Picked up most from a shop that was closing in the 90's. I specifically remember getting the 1990 KMart set when I was just starting collecting. It was so cool they were glossy!

gamecockfanatic

Jun 17, 2009
Gamecock Country
Does anyone know of any other sets that were left out of the article in the OP? I'm always looking for these types of cards!

i was always partial to the 1987 sportflics team preview set......i consider it as one of the boxed oddball items since it wasn't exactly like a topps traded , donruss rookies , or fleer update set.....

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
Here are some sets that I still have..

7-11.jpg

ben-franklin.jpg

best-1.jpg

best2.jpg

limited-1.jpg

mvp.jpg

mvp1.jpg

pay-n-save.jpg