Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Better for Sellers: COMC or Sportslots?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
So, I’ve got a ton of low to mid range inserts and parallels to sell.

Ive used COMC before but don’t know much about Sportslots, or any other site, for selling them.

Not looking to sell them myself so I’m willing to wait and/or pay fees for someone else to do the leg work.

Your thoughts?

Gwynn545

Aug 29, 2008
North Seattle
Using Sportlots, you are still selling them yourself I believe. I could be wrong, (Just from a buyer's perspective), I am purchasing cards from a specific seller, and paying shipping to each seller separately. It is not like COMC where they do all the work, and cards are in one spot!

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
That has changed with Sportlots box now. Like @Gwynn545,I only have a buyers perspective.

Yesterday (1/19) I decided to have the cards I’ve bought over the past 6 months on COMC shipped to me finally. I’ll receive them on about April 27th.

If I was selling cards right now, COMC would not be the place to do it.

At least their time frame is shortening. I've had a couple hundred cards waiting to ship hoping they would get it under control. For several months every time I checked shipping it was showing 6 months so 3 months is an improvement. I went ahead and started the process for mine too. The last package I started the process last March and it set at the Requested step for like 4 months before changing to Packaging and I finally got it in August. This one went to Packaging almost immediately (within an hour) so I hope it'll be here sooner than April.

Edit: Well so much for that. I went to check status and apparently their website is down.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Yeah I've never sold on Sportlots but it seems to me it's going to be a similar amount of "legwork" as selling a card on eBay (aside from not having to take a picture of the card). There are certainly advantages and disadvantages of each platform (especially right now with COMC's crazy delays), but if the main factor is less work for you, COMC would be the choice.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I think that Check Out My Cards is generally more well-known than sportlots so you'll probably get a lot more viewers for your cards there. I've never had cards listed on COMC before, though, mainly because I don't feel comfortable sending my cards in to COMC/a consignment group and would rather sell them myself. If I had lower end ($20 and below) items, I would probably just try sportlots.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah I've never sold on Sportlots but it seems to me it's going to be a similar amount of "legwork" as selling a card on eBay (aside from not having to take a picture of the card). There are certainly advantages and disadvantages of each platform (especially right now with COMC's crazy delays), but if the main factor is less work for you, COMC would be the choice.

This is where I land. I had forgotten all the work that might be involved with selling on Sportlots.

AnthonyCorona

Oct 6, 2014
Modesto, CA
I dunno from a sellers perspective but I’ve started going to sport lots more lately with how crappy COMC has been

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
COMC is fine if you either want to all your cards to be immediately bought and relisted by the few massive sellers on there (assuming you price them to sell). Otherwise, at a penny a month per card, there's not a whole lot of motivation to price cards at a reasonable level. There are some cards that haven't moved a single cent in price in the more than 10 years I've been using COMC, $5 or $10 (at best) cards that are listed around $100 thanks to some imagined rarity ("Oooh, I have a COMC monopoly! Better price this common /499 at $60!).

Sportlots can be a lot of work, but I feel the selection is better, the prices are better, and as a seller, the work is well worth it. Especially the Box shipment concept, which ends up being a little like COMC in theory. Your orders all go to Sportlots, then they box them up and ship them to you when you want them. On average, my monthly sales have tripled since they instituted the Box program, so much that I often fill up a Priority box of Box orders before they've even processed my last box. The time I put into it would just be wasted otherwise, and I feel the fees are worth the effort (so many of the cards I sell were bought so cheaply that I can still make money selling them for 75¢ or $1).

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Also from a buyer's perspective...

COMC has a better selection, and the individual card scans are a major plus. Even if you don't buy anything from COMC, the scans themselves represent a major resource for the hobby. On the downside, I used to think the combined shipping thing was a major plus, but like many others I have been turned off by COMC's behavior over the last year.

For example. I requested a shipment, then a few minutes later I ended up buying another card. I really wanted that card in-hand, but COMC's policy is that they will not add new cards to an existing shipment, so I coughed up the $4.99 for a second shipment. OK fine. But as it turns out, both shipments arrived in one mailer. WTF? So I wrote COMC to request a refund for that second shipping fee, but after three tries they have not responded. So they're just going to pocket that second shipping fee.

On the whole I like Sportlots a bit more. The prices are much better and you don't have the array of delusional sellers that @DeliciousBacon mentioned. I haven't used the box shipment thing, but it seems people are happy with it. And overall, it just feels more like the kind of business I would like to support And yes, part of the reason I'm saying this is that, as a buyer, I wish more sellers would migrate to Sportlots :)

I dunno from a sellers perspective but I’ve started going to sport lots more lately with how crappy COMC has been

Last edited:

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
It all depends how much you want for each card. If you're looking for a few bucks or more, then COTC is the better option. If you want to unload a ton of 50 cent cards then I'd try sportlots. As a buyer though, I'm beginning to think sportlots is the better option though a good number of cards I get are in less than the stated condition.

I have a ton of basketball rookies from the past 15 years that I want to unload on COMC, but the cards I'm looking for in return ($50+ 80/90s rookies for baseball and football) hardly show up anymore or are way overpriced. What's the incentive of unloading a Fleer 86/87 style Kevin Durant RC when there's nothing but more credit to show for it? I'd rather have that 1982 Topps Traded Ripken.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Just an update on COMC shipping. I'm not sure if I got lucky or they are getting their act together but I requested a shipment on 1/19 and I had it in hand on 2/4 so 15 days give or take from request.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Just an update on COMC shipping. I'm not sure if I got lucky or they are getting their act together but I requested a shipment on 1/19 and I had it in hand on 2/4 so 15 days give or take from request.

Wow what level of shipping did you request? I did an economy rushed shipment back in December that took 14 days to ship, but my regular economy shipment I placed 12/9/20 is still giving an estimated ship date of 3/15/21.

DeliciousBacon

Apr 23, 2011
Warwick, RI
I bet you the shipping delays have to do with Remotely Stored items. This is from their website, I hadn't give it any thought before:

" Some items listed for sale on COMC are not are not currently stored near our Redmond, WA headquarters. For example, cards that are consigned through our Canadian processing facility may take a month or two to migrate down to our US headquarters. While the items are still in Canada, we can’t ship them as quickly. Such items are labeled as Item Stored Remotely and can take 4-6 weeks longer than normal to ship. We don't currently allow expedited shipping for these items. We recommend using our Standard or Registered shipping options if you have any remote items in your shopping cart or shipment request. "

If that's causing the long delays, COMC should make an option to remove Remotely Stored items from a shipment.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Wow what level of shipping did you request? I did an economy rushed shipment back in December that took 14 days to ship, but my regular economy shipment I placed 12/9/20 is still giving an estimated ship date of 3/15/21.

I always just use the plain $4.99 shipping with no express. I generally only use COMC for PC stuff so I'm in no rush. This is the turnaround time I was accustomed to before all the issues so hopefully they've got it all back under control. My order still showed an estimated delivery date in April but obviously shipped much quicker than that.

COMC.png

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Interesting, I wonder if they are working backwards and later January orders shipped at a decent time but they haven't worked their way back to December orders, or if mine still hasn't shipped because of the fact I have some "items stored remotely."

Members online

Latest posts