Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BP's Most Disappointing Prospects of All-Time Pt.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
I found the article very interesting. The author originally intended to do a list of 50 but instead is releasing it in parts and doing a write up on each player. It is a subscriber only article so I will only list the players profiled in the first posting. Also, they note that the order is not important. I believe he is going to do a ranking when all 50 have been profiled but for now he is just throwing them out there.

Mo Sanford
Cameron Drew
Bobby Valentine
Chris Snelling
Jeff Kunkel
Andy Marte
Steve Whitaker
Mike Ivie
Ben Davis
Alex Gordon

I'd forgotten how good Ben Davis' minor league numbers were. .308/.384/.508 as a 22 year old at AAA. It will be interesting to see who else makes the list.

Part 2
Al Chambers
Clint Hartung
Rick Manning
Casey Kotchman
Danny Goodwin
Scott Ruffcorn
Hensley Meulens
Ruben Rivera
Paul Strand
Matt Weiters

The Weiters inclusion is generating a lot of flack. The writeup talks about how he is no longer likely to develop into a power hitter and he isn't a switch hitter (.230/.278/.344 from the right side).

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx
Re: BP's Most Disappointing Prospects of All-Time Pt.1

I'm suprised that Brandon Wood isn't on this. I guess they are still giving him time since he's 26. The career .169 BA and 11 HRs in 450 at bats and 33.3% strikeout ratio per at bat seems like a winner.

All that despite 5 years of 20+ minor league homers, including 43 in 2005.

Prospect Ratings by Baseball America:
Pre-2005: Rated #83 Prospect
Pre-2006: Rated #3 Prospect
Pre-2007: Rated #8 Prospect
Pre-2008: Rated #16 Prospect

jjj7880

Aug 7, 2008

reljac said:
I'm suprised that Brandon Wood isn't on this. I guess they are still giving him time since he's 26. The career .169 BA and 11 HRs in 450 at bats and 33.3% strikeout ratio per at bat seems like a winner.

All that despite 5 years of 20+ minor league homers, including 43 in 2005.

Prospect Ratings by Baseball America:
Pre-2005: Rated #83 Prospect
Pre-2006: Rated #3 Prospect
Pre-2007: Rated #8 Prospect
Pre-2008: Rated #16 Prospect

It looks like he has 40 more players to name and they are in no particular order so we may still Wood on the list.

reljac

Apr 12, 2010
Pearland, Tx

jjj7880 said:
It looks like he has 40 more players to name and they are in no particular order so we may still Wood on the list.

doh, missed that part!

Members online

Latest posts