Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Bunt to break up a no-no?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMet

Apr 6, 2010
The Poconos
So the Yardgoats were pitching a combined no hitter against the Trenton Thunder yesterday, when, with two outs left, Thunder player Matt Lipka bunted up the first base line and the pitcher failed to field it cleanly, resulting in a hit and a broken up no hitter. Then they retired the last two batters, then words were shared, then a near brawl, then everyone went their separate ways...

Here’s an article about it...
https://deadspin.com/minor-league-benches-clear-after-bunt-breaks-up-no-hitt-1835277217

So what says you?
Do you bunt to break up the no-no, especially that late in the ninth?
Does a combined no hitter change the circumstances?
Does a combined no-no even count?
Do you give the hitter credit where credit is due or do you hit him in the gluteus maximus the next time the two teams face each other?
Go!

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mouschi

Featured Contributor, Bridging the Gap, Senior Mem
May 18, 2012
I find it wrong for the batter not to do everything in his power to get on base.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Situation dictates action, if it's 1-0 in the 9th and it's the tying run absolutely, if it's a laugher 7-0 or something than it's just a dick move.
Also combined no hitters don't really mean anything

orioles70

Oct 3, 2018
So if the home team is winning 7-0 as they come to bat in the bottom of the eigth inning knowing they only need 3 outs in the top of the ninth to win the game I guess they should just stand in the batters box with their bats on their shoulders because it would be a dick move to swing and try to get on base?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
All I was saying is that if it's a close game and you have a good bunter than yeah it's worth a shot. If youre already getting your ass kicked swing away and end a no hitter with some emphasis.
I don't have a problem with bunting during a no hitter, it just feels crappy if that is the sole intention. I can't think of too many times where a lead off bunt sparked a team to a seven run inning.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Situation dictates action, if it's 1-0 in the 9th and it's the tying run absolutely, if it's a laugher 7-0 or something than it's just a dick move.
Also combined no hitters don't really mean anything

Exactly.

When Ben Davis did it, the score was 2-0. IDK the score when Devon White did it, but the score definitely plays a role in determining the acceptance.

IMO, if it's 6-0 lead or bigger, later in the game, I'd find it weasely, just like a SB up 6+.

Unless it's against NYY, then RUN IT UP! LOL

jbone17

Sep 26, 2008
The Riverlands.
If Lipka would've been out, no one would say a word. The journeyman took a gamble and it paid off. Baseball is all about strategy. Who in the hell as a hitter wants to go in the record books as the guy who made the final out? Lipka was hitting below .200 for the season. This game is about survival. He sniffed an easy hit and took the shot.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

WoundedDuck

Aug 23, 2008
Baseball is an amazing sport. I love nuance and strategy. It has such rich history and tradition. Frankly, I don't mind that there are unwritten rules. However, some unwritten rules that take away the full effort of players or discourage their enthusiasm for the game need to go away in my opinion.

The whole, don't bunt on nono is stupid. You give your full effort to get on base, period. No matter how you do it. It's the defense/pitcher's job to prevent that. If they can't, then the accomplishment isn't warranted. As has already been stated, it was a combined no hitter anyway, which is just not the same in my opinion anyway.

I also hate that it's considered horrible for a player to show emotion after a big hit. Let them celebrate, bat flip, admire it fly, whatever. Every other sport celebrates a big play, but hitters can't? Hell, even pitchers get pumped about big moment strikeouts. They pump fists and yell, but a hitter can't be excited about a big hit? In other sports, the line gets drawn at trash talking or denegrading the opposition. As long as the hitter isn't taunting and yelling at the pitcher, I'm fine with more celebrations in baseball.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Freedom Card Board mobile app

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
They aren't owed an easy out. And I wouldn't care if it everyone on the team took a turn on the mound, I wouldn't want to get no-hit.

orioles70

Oct 3, 2018
The no bunting unwritten rule is so ridiculous to me...I never hear those "no bunt" guys complaining about the manly sport of football when there is a minute or so left in the game and their team is ahead and has the football and their quarterback dressed in armor squats 3 times like a little girl instead of running plays

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.