Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Buyers get ****** around too!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Work day winding down from home and I am a little bored, so thought I would rant a little.

I know that it is a common subject, talking about all the scamming that happens to sellers. To make matters worse, although it is almost meaningless anyways, there is no satisfaction of the feedback system for a good seller wronged by a crappy buyer. Ebay is definitely set up to favor the buyer and most sellers just have to protect themselves the best they can. It can make good sellers a little harder to work with though and I assume that the good buyers far outweigh the bad. Buyers can be on the same end of that transaction though.

I would consider myself fairly lucky, in that I have not had any significantly bad transactions as a buyer. I am talking about getting high dollar forgeries or similar where you are out big bucks. I have had a couple deals where I lost out on a small amount of money. One such case involved someone who sent me an item poorly packaged. I complained and asked for a refund. This was pre-PP days and I was told to return the item and I would get a refund. I was sent a personal check for my refund, which subsequently bounced. I was out my original purchase price, the cost of mailing the damaged item back AND a small service fee from my bank for the bounced check. If ever I would have had revenge on someone for something so petty, it would have been that POS! I was sooo pissed. In the end though, it was all still under around $30, but it is the principle.

However, I seem to have a decent amount of transaction history where items don't show up. A few select times, I get the "it was lost" or "can't find it" excuse, sometimes I am told the item was mailed to someone else by mistake (they never seem to have honest buyers willing to return the item), but often I get no reply at all. It almost always results in a refund and that is great, but the problem is, I rarely get any sort of satisfactory explanation, not that I believe most of them anyways. It also always seems to be a situation where I got a pretty good deal. A few weeks back, I bought and paid for a flat Hostess box (Yount Rookie) that never showed and I had to force a refund through a PP Case. This person never responded to any of it. They were a zero feedback seller, who is now (-1).

My most recent issue was with a large seller of sports card singles that many people are familiar with. First off, they do combine shipping at a cost per additional item, but there is no cap. if you win a dozen or two singles (from the 1000s they list), your shipping can top $15-20 easily. After waiting for my most recent order, I discovered that the key card, the one that drew me in to bid (the rest were literally window shopping after the first) was missing. Now this does happen from time to time with good sellers, but this seller has been notorious for it, at least when I have bought from them before. I kid you not, I bet 1/2 of my past orders had something missing from it! They have usually sent the missing item (mt prior order just a month ago was missing a card), but a few times I just got a refund and some excuse as to why the card was not available.

I let them know (and this time I held no punches on how I felt, referencing their poor packaging job and that this has happened to me numerous times) and the person responding says they'll make it right. I wait another 3-4 days and message today, asking to confirm the item was sent. A short time later, my case was closed with a full refund. Perfect you say, you got your money back. No harm, no foul. However, consider this. Just about every card you buy can be had from other sellers. If you buy a somewhat limited card, in this case fewer than 100 copies exist, you give up opportunity with other sellers once you secure your copy. A few weeks later, if the deal goes sour as mine did, you may not have a similar opportunity to replace the card.

They also previously screwed me last year on a signed card numbered to 5 copies that they claim was mailed to the wrong buyer, who in turn would not return it. I got a refund then too, but that is not what I wanted. I have had enough with this seller, so after my refund this time, they got an honest and descriptive negative for the mishandling of my order, the first I have ever left them. I doubt they will care much, they have several 100 in the last 12 months, but it felt good and was certainly deserved. To quote myself in my complaint to them, how does one fill an order of less than 20 cards and miss one of the items just about every time?

Turns out, I ended up finding the card cheaper anyway, so perhaps this was a blessing in disguise. A lot of people have spoken poorly about this seller and I have always been willing to admit that I buy from them and aside from the occasional bump, have had no issues. This is true no more. I am done with them moving forward.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Spill the beans...so the rest of us know who to be cautious of. As a seller, if you're bad at order completion, terrible at packaging, or have any other host of issues, you shouldn't expect for your poor quality to stay between you and the buyer.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I don't think this will come as any surprise to anyone who is familiar with the seller. Super high volume, in just the short time since I posted my comment is almost buried to page 2 (200 feedback per page) already!

tntnorthnj

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I've bought from them before, mostly without incident, but there was one time where it was abundantly clear the person who was packaging my order did not have the time or a single **** to give.

linuxabuser

Jan 16, 2011
I don't think this will come as any surprise to anyone who is familiar with the seller. Super high volume, in just the short time since I posted my comment is almost buried to page 2 (200 feedback per page) already!

tntnorthnj

Hahaha no surprise there. I dislike the extra $.50/item charge for "combined" shipping. Buncha horse****.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Actually just got a package from them delivered today. Not the greatest of packaging, but I’ve always seemed to get what I’ve bought. Not a fan of the added fees per card, but if the deal is right I can overlook it.
I had them in my mind when reading your opening post. Haha

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I tolerated a lot over the years, because you can get some good deals sometimes, but this was the final straw. My tolerance for buying online is slowing breaking down anyway. I don't want to stop, as I do really enjoy collecting, but there is something in my head telling me that it is really time to slow to a stop and start getting rid of it all. Of course, now we pay $3-5 for shipping for each order, plus most of us are now paying taxes (mine is 10%) on top of that. I buy a $20 card now, it actually costs me $27!!

I guess everyone has their own bad service tolerance line that finally gets crossed.

chris19978

Aug 30, 2011
You ever try Facebook they seem to work well. I try to avoid eBay but at times I notice everywhere besides eBay you get low ball offers when selling. My general rule I try to sell at 90% eBay recent sales it saves you the taxes and 10% but it seems most will try to get you down to half of more. I hate the tax thing now though certain cards you just have to bit the bullet if you want it.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
I tolerated a lot over the years, because you can get some good deals sometimes, but this was the final straw. My tolerance for buying online is slowing breaking down anyway. I don't want to stop, as I do really enjoy collecting, but there is something in my head telling me that it is really time to slow to a stop and start getting rid of it all. Of course, now we pay $3-5 for shipping for each order, plus most of us are now paying taxes (mine is 10%) on top of that. I buy a $20 card now, it actually costs me $27!!

I hear ya, though...buying online is gradually becoming less and less enticing as those costs of buying continue to rise (shipping increases, government overreach...i.e. taxes required for purchases from a non-business). About the only saving grace for ebay is the buyer protection policy.
Hope you're just frustrated at a bad experience and aren't really thinking of getting out. But if you do call it quits, I may have interest in any Frank Thomas, '96 Mirror Golds, or '68 Topps Ryan you may have.

I hear ya as a buyer and seller. These fees have been absurd by ebay. Especially since they double dip on the PP transaction.

It is time for a replacement. A better option. A site where even deadbeat buyers are held accountable. (like can't have an account w/ a verified credit card, that can be charged if you fail to pay without dispute.

I've always noticed some of the greatest innovations were just improvements on long standing things already in place. Uber/Lyft vs. Taxi... etc..

Maybe a site exclusively for sports related memorabilia.

I'm a republican, so I'm never going to like tax, but this new one is absurd. I don't charge sales tax at my garage sale.

Members online