Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Card Shop Owners and Collectors...Questions for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinda been wanting to do this for awhile now, but with it being the new year, I would kinda like to try and have a real mini card shop online. I tried this some time ago, but didnt know wht I was really doing, but now I want to try this again, and I have a few questions before I start. I have a site set up already, it just needs to have a few things redone.

Anyway, here are a couple questions to start:

Card Shop Owners...What products or items sell the best? Keep in mind this will be sports cards only, with 95% being baseball and football

Collectors...What do you buy that you would like to see a card shop sell or have as inventory?

Thanks all :)

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Veteran online store guys will tell you that Mid-range, kinda rare refractors/parallels/inserts of Hard-to-find Star players always do surpisingly well and get better prices than you'd expect.

Also, if you can figure out a good way to offer Supplies and a cheap way to ship them would probably be a good move...

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
I think everyone is trying to warn that Brick and Mortar stores can be tough to keep in Business.

I thought your planned Store was more Online only and you had a good amount of Inventory already...

jbhofmann

Mar 12, 2009
Indiana
[MENTION=1720]cgilmo[/MENTION], legit question:

Are their any indoor batting cages that offer instruction around you? The ones in Indiana seem to be swamped all the time and I felt like a small shop in front would get good crossover customers.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
When you say "mini card shop online" what do you mean? The main avenue to sell cards is through another site like ebay, comc, or message boards. I don't see a lot of card shop sites doing good business outside of the big box/case sellers. Tough to get traffic to your site, hard to get people to trust buying from a total unknown, and you would have to deal with building/hosting a site and online payments through a shopping cart function.

Start small, go to local card shows/shops and hunt for overlooked deals in quarter/dollar bins or buy lots on ebay and do the elbow grease of breaking them up and selling them as singles to maximize profit. Go with what you know, trying something that you don't know about is a sure way to lose money.

olerud363

Jun 14, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I agree with the previous comment that if you're doing a strictly online card shop, then your best bet might be open one on eBay, Beckett Marketplace, or other established place. It'd be the best way to get store traffic.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 LTE using Freedom Card Board mobile app

When you say "mini card shop online" what do you mean? The main avenue to sell cards is through another site like ebay, comc, or message boards. I don't see a lot of card shop sites doing good business outside of the big box/case sellers. Tough to get traffic to your site, hard to get people to trust buying from a total unknown, and you would have to deal with building/hosting a site and online payments through a shopping cart function.

Start small, go to local card shows/shops and hunt for overlooked deals in quarter/dollar bins or buy lots on ebay and do the elbow grease of breaking them up and selling them as singles to maximize profit. Go with what you know, trying something that you don't know about is a sure way to lose money.
What I want to do and I guess what I mean by that is selling cards/memorabilia through my site and through ebay, but with the fees and everything with Ebay, they are making it harder and harder to sell there. I would also be willing to sell here too :) Also I believe I can do this since I know cards and have been collecting for close to 12 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.