Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Cards wall decorating found years later…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I Used a magnifying glass and they look mostly to be mid-late 80s junk. Didn't read article, if they mentioned specific years (which I doubt they would).

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I did not need a magnifying glass to see the 1986 Topps card. Middle far right edge. Wow we are calling 36 year old cards junk. In 1986 a 36 year old card would be a 1950. Very interesting.

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
And all glued on. They said they aren't baseball fans but I bet if they were to allow someone to buy the wall, they could get some money for it, rather then just knocking it out.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
Low key jealous of this kids decorating. Found recently in Boise, ID.

I did tape cards to paper and then thumbtack it to the wall. Including a Jordan RC…😬

Very cool. I've seen pictures on the Net54 vintage card forum where back around 1900 to I guess the 1930's people would do that in their rooms. I've also seen pictures of stores where all they sold were all sorts of post cards around that time.

My great grandfather had his own corner store on the first floor of his house in the early 20's to the late 40's. I wonder if he had post cards too.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Very cool. I've seen pictures on the Net54 vintage card forum where back around 1900 to I guess the 1930's people would do that in their rooms. I've also seen pictures of stores where all they sold were all sorts of post cards around that time.

My great grandfather had his own corner store on the first floor of his house in the early 20's to the late 40's. I wonder if he had post cards too.
The one place that people used to put cards is in the attic.

But not just for storage or safe keeping but they'd also put them in with the insulation to further insulate things a little bit.

My best friend growing up found a batch of vintage cards that way, including a nice Koufax, '58 I believe...

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
The one place that people used to put cards is in the attic.

But not just for storage or safe keeping but they'd also put them in with the insulation to further insulate things a little bit.

My best friend growing up found a batch of vintage cards that way, including a nice Koufax, '58 I believe...

We all know they were just card board with pictures back then. No value at all, so I wouldn't be shocked that there are a ton of mantle rc cards chopped up and used as existing installation in homes today. 😝

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Massachusetts
And how about the story that Topps dumped hundreds of 1952 baseball card cases in the ocean off of the New York city coast when they couldn't sell them. :confused:

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Nov 6, 2019
Arizona
And how about the story that Topps dumped hundreds of 1952 baseball card cases in the ocean off of the New York city coast when they couldn't sell them. :confused:

Yeah, read that to. Crazy amount of history and money(in todays times) dissolved in the sea!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I did not need a magnifying glass to see the 1986 Topps card. Middle far right edge. Wow we are calling 36 year old cards junk. In 1986 a 36 year old card would be a 1950. Very interesting.

I have used that same analogy myself. However, the big difference is that in the 1950s, cards were used to sell gum. They were the freebies and kids treated them like it. That is the main reason why values have increased as they have. Fewer cardfs survived the bike spokes, rubber bands, flipping and mom's clean-up efforts. Now, in order for a newer card to have increased value, it needs to be artificially scarce (low print runs), because I'd bet 99% of the cards sold today will never have a conditional flaw in their lifespans.

So yes, 1988 Topps is junk (from a pure $ value standpoint), always has been and always will be. Doesn't mean they can't be a fun hobby thing, like cards used to be and should still be today before big business took control.

jaderock

Jan 22, 2009
My house is 109 years old, maybe I should do some asbestos renovations! Last time we removed a deteriorated hardwood floor in a room, we found a newspaper from the 1930s.