Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

COMC - Anyone have anything positive to say in 2021? (2022 UPDATE) (2023 UPDATE)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
They positive thing I can say about them is that my order arrived. I bought a card in the middle of February and paid extra so it would be delivered within 2 weeks. Well, ship date came and went and finally the middle of the next week I emailed them. Got a response that “it seems we missed the shipment date” and they would look into it. 2 days later it shipped and was finally delivered the following Monday, making it 2 extra weeks for “processing”.

Didn’t even offer to credit me the shipping fee, and I doubt I’ll buy from them again anytime soon, either from their site or eBay.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't want to start another COMC shipping thread, so I revived this one. This is at least partially on me, although I don't recall ever hearing or seeing this. If it was advertised, guessing it was under their breath type.

I just decided to see what the wait time would be for a shipment. I guess i just wanted to clear out the port again, after grabbing some cheap items over the winter. The shipping problem of 2021, at least the worst of it, seems to be in the past. I ended up winning a few cards on ebay and looked deeper and in a short stretch ended up winning a bunch of cards. I figured that I'd buy them through the site (like you can do) and add them to my shipment later.

I feel like I have done this in the past with a few cards and didn't notice anything funny, but this time, my cheapest shipping option was over $20 for economy! I messaged them, then ultimately chatted with a CSR and they told me that ebay purchases are charged at least $0.25 per card, up to $1.00 for their "premium" listings. Those, I was told, were cards with black backgrounds!

Here I thought I was scooping up deals on fun, but unneeded cards because of free shipping! Boy did I screw myself on that one.

Maybe it was just me, but in case you were oblivious like me, BE WARNED...EBAY PURCHASES TRANSFERRED TO YOUR COMC ACCOUNT FOR SHIPPING WILL ADD UP ON A PER CARD BASIS!

These guys have to be making bank these days with all the fees charged on both sides of the fence. I understand a profit, but anyone charging a flat per item s/h charge is pushing the line of reasonable in my opinion. I am now done with ebay/COMC auctions, unless it's a card I can't live without. The rates are fair per card, but win 30 cards and it is no longer fair.

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
I don’t like the $1 addition for the premium photo cards won, but the 25 cents made sense when I noticed it since it’s baked into every card on the site already. So of course you pay it to get sent to you. If you won and listed to be resold on the site, it would have been added to the next buyer regardless

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I guess I've just never noticed the $0.25 cents. Is it baked into the card price itself or the shipping? Is it only on eBay purchases?

I buy the card for the price listed and it goes into my port. I've never noticed an extra $0.25 being tacked on to the price at this step.

When I ask for a shipment it gives me three quotes (Economy, Rushed, Express) and I don't see anything about the $0.25 a card here either, other than the $0.35 each for top loads which I never request.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I guess I've just never noticed the $0.25 cents. Is it baked into the card price itself or the shipping? Is it only on eBay purchases?

I buy the card for the price listed and it goes into my port. I've never noticed an extra $0.25 being tacked on to the price at this step.

When I ask for a shipment it gives me three quotes (Economy, Rushed, Express) and I don't see anything about the $0.25 a card here either, other than the $0.35 each for top loads which I never request.

The 25 cents is included in the price you see and pay unless you are in "reseller mode" or whatever they call it, where you are just buying it to flip later on the site and it's not going to be shipped to you. If you buy it in reseller mode and later decide to get it shipped you do have to pay the 25 cents at that time.

Years ago they had a 25 cent per card charge for shipping (plus the base rate for economy/express etc) but they only charged it at the time you actually requested a shipment. So you would end up with a shipment of 200 cards, shipped economy, costing like $54. Understandably people were super POed when they went to ship their cards and got hit with this crazy high number that was not even close to the actual postage cost. So COMC switched everything to automatically include that 25 cent charge (which is really going towards their expense for having COMC employees go and pull hundreds of cards from their huge warehouses and pack them up) automatically in the sales prices. That way shipping the 200 cards costs you $4 and you aren't super POed...but you totally already paid the extra $50 as you were buying each card. Worked out the same.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is the thing about fixed price items or even a fee structure that is clearly presented upfront. If you are OK with that price, there is no trickery going on. When a seller lists a card for $2 on ebay, for example, and clearly stated that he'll charge you $8 to ship it, you can adjust your bid accordingly. I'll bid less for the same card with a higher s/h rate, simply because I am calculating the end out of pocket price I am willing to pay. Sadly, tax threw that all off in the last year or two as well. I don't consider tax when I bid, but just take the ******* when I go to pay!

I think this crap COMC is pulling is slimy, because you don't see it when you buy (I didn't at least and I don't think it was/is presented well). Would I have paid an extra 25 cents for each card I bought? Possibly. However, when I bought the cards for the price I liked and then another $20+ is tacked on later when I was not expecting it...that is just BS!

Brad

Aug 23, 2008
It could be presented better, but if you look at auction listings on the comc site, it lists the current bid and then S&H right under that.

If you win a listing for $1.25 and pay via PayPal on the comc site, you pay $1.25 plus tax. You can then relist the card and have the next buyer pay shipping or add it to your next shipment and pay the 25 cents / $1.

I missed it on my first couple of auction wins too, so I looked into it a while ago. It is easy to overlook, but it’s not hidden

Brad

Aug 23, 2008

Dilferules covered most of it, but the 25 cents shipping is why you never see cards less than 26 cents.

Assuming you aren’t in reseller mode, if you see a card listed for $2, the seller priced it at $1.75

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
That is the thing about fixed price items or even a fee structure that is clearly presented upfront. If you are OK with that price, there is no trickery going on. When a seller lists a card for $2 on ebay, for example, and clearly stated that he'll charge you $8 to ship it, you can adjust your bid accordingly. I'll bid less for the same card with a higher s/h rate, simply because I am calculating the end out of pocket price I am willing to pay. Sadly, tax threw that all off in the last year or two as well. I don't consider tax when I bid, but just take the ******* when I go to pay!

I think this crap COMC is pulling is slimy, because you don't see it when you buy (I didn't at least and I don't think it was/is presented well). Would I have paid an extra 25 cents for each card I bought? Possibly. However, when I bought the cards for the price I liked and then another $20+ is tacked on later when I was not expecting it...that is just BS!

The $20+ is what I'm not seeing. It's already figured into what I paid for the card because I'm not in reseller mode. I'm fine with that. If the price on the card is more than I'm willing to pay I just move on. Shipping is always $4.99 or whatever so I'm good with that.
Dilferules covered most of it, but the 25 cents shipping is why you never see cards less than 26 cents.

Assuming you aren’t in reseller mode, if you see a card listed for $2, the seller priced it at $1.75

That makes perfect sense. It's already figured into the price I'm paying so I never saw it and didn't care because I was comfortable paying the price listed.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
Does it really take them 2 weeks to process the cards at the elite level now? And a whopping 4 months at the standard level? And now they're charging 50 cents per card just to remove them from top loaders again? Didn't they have their own top loader shortage crisis just a year ago? No wonder I haven't sent them anything since the end of 2019.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
These are my only options. I have never changed my "mode". Didn't even know that was a thing. Apparently that is all from items won thru COMC on ebay. And it still takes an estimated month to ship my cards a few miles after I spend $22.49!

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 2.29.13 PM.png

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
These are my only options. I have never changed my "mode". Didn't even know that was a thing. Apparently that is all from items won thru COMC on ebay. And it still takes an estimated month to ship my cards a few miles after I spend $22.49!

View attachment 332151

Contact them and see if you can pick them up at their office. I'm sure it would be cheaper then to have them delivered..

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

View attachment 332151
It must be because you won them on eBay. The process I was discussing is from buying cards directly on COMC, I've never won a COMC eBay auction and transferred it to my COMC account so I'm not familiar with how shipping works with that. You should probably ask them for an explanation of the high cost. I'd hope the $22.49 is at least cheaper than it would have been shipping each auction individually.

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Also as FYI - not sure if this is different from before, but the shipping rates are not true "flat rates" for your entire box. I recently used the $5 shipping credit earned during their black friday promotion and if I would have shipped my whole box (more than 190 cards), it would have gone from $4.99 to $8.99. So I had to limit my order. I'm also set up to pay the $.25 per card at the time I buy it. I figure if I see it in the card price and I'm ok with it, no big deal.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I decided to ressurect this, as I have a small beef with COMC again. It's not worth a new thread, but we'll see. I have sent an email to the staff for a better answer.

I requested a shipment back on 5/18. I was told that shipping was projected/estimated? to be 6/9. I still think 3 weeks is too long to wait for something they have in their possession, but whatever. I had forgiven them for their Covid disaster, frankly because it is almost impossible to overlook the shipping savings they offer. Sadly, the selection of decent stuff at decent prices has withered quite a bit, so the advantage is shrinking again.

Anyway, here is my beef:

They reported that my package shipped 6/9. I didn't notice that until 6/10. When I went to see just how fast it was going to get to me (I live very close to COMC), the tracking showed that it had NOT actually been shipped yet. I checked again today this evening, so I gave them an extra mail day to get the package into the system and it still shows as not shipped. So, here is COMC "SHIPPING" my package on 6/9 to look like they hit their target, yet 4 days later it is still not even in the mail system??? Had it really shipped, I might have had it Saturday, but almost definitely today.

Am I whining about not getting my cards a few days quicker? Kind of, but really more the game they appear to be playing with their ship date reported vs actually shipping the package! By the way, the tracking message hasn't updated since I snipped it Saturday.

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.23.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 8.21.22 PM.png

nosterbor

Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I am always getting deals with COMIC. Plus I Get my cards in 10 days or less with the standard shipping rate. I have NO IDEA what everyone is always complaining about. Their shipping is WAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than ebays PWE shipping crap! Ebay has become awful. I won a card on ebay 2 weeks ago and told the seller DO NOT SEND THIS IN THE PWE CRAP! He said ok and said it would be $6 for a bubbler mailer. I paid $6 for the card and another $6 for shipping . He still sent the card in a PWE and it got all creased. I told the seller what happened and left him a neg Right away.

He cried to ebay when I left a neg and ebay sent me a message and asked if I would change his feed back. I called ebay on the phone and told them to read all the messages between us and that he got the feedback he deserved that I am sick of these NUMB SKILLS for sellers and no I do not want a refund and send the card back. enough is enough.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I know the past several shipments they will say it's "shipped" but it won't actually get to the post office until the next day. To say it's shipped Friday and it's still not at the PO Monday evening, that's nuts. I wish they would just let me come and pick the orders up when they are ready, they ship from less than 10 minutes away from my house.