Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Computer won't read my jump drive?! HELP!

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
I have NEVER had any issues with my jump drive but all the sudden this morning my computer isn't reading it. It not only has stuff from work and personal items but it has my master Albert Belle checklist on it! When I put it into the computer, it does make a beep noise and when I remove it, it makes the removal beep noise but it just isn't showing anything under 'My Computer'.

Any thoughts? On another computer it shows up under 'My Computer' but it gives me a message when I try to open it which says "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk E:"

Man, any help here would be amazing... starting to freak out...

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
you may be down to about 2 things (at least based on my past experience with flash drives with similar behaviors).

1) see if Chkdsk will fix it (right click the drive letter of the flash drive in windows explorer and "check for errors" or some such option). That's saved my disk once - found a structure error, fixed it, all good.

2) you may have to resort to a flash drive recovery tool - see if your flash drive manufacturer has one for download for users of their products or has a recommended one. Mine had a recommended utility and I was able with a free trial of that mfg recommended utility to save most of the data off another flash drive I had problems with.

If this "corruption" happened after you properly disconnected the flash drive, your flash drive may be dying.

This incident is a good reminder that anything you want to have/keep should be COPIED to a flash drive, not MOVED to a flash drive and only move stuff you don't care if it gets corrupted/lost in a flash drive failure.

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Sounds liek the bummer, but I'd just clear the thumb drive and reload what it is you want on it. Even just setting it down on your desk can make something inside it corrupted.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
you may be down to about 2 things (at least based on my past experience with flash drives with similar behaviors).

1) see if Chkdsk will fix it (right click the drive letter of the flash drive in windows explorer and "check for errors" or some such option). That's saved my disk once - found a structure error, fixed it, all good.

2) you may have to resort to a flash drive recovery tool - see if your flash drive manufacturer has one for download for users of their products or has a recommended one. Mine had a recommended utility and I was able with a free trial of that mfg recommended utility to save most of the data off another flash drive I had problems with.

If this "corruption" happened after you properly disconnected the flash drive, your flash drive may be dying.

This incident is a good reminder that anything you want to have/keep should be COPIED to a flash drive, not MOVED to a flash drive and only move stuff you don't care if it gets corrupted/lost in a flash drive failure.
+1
I've had several thumb drives "die" on me. I was able to fix one with chkdsk but the rest were beyond repair. It does suck, especially when you have vital info on the thumb drive. I make copies and email myself some files just in case. It's happened on various brands so it just comes down to luck.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Thanks a lot for the comments guys... looks like I'm royally screwed. Took the drive to Best Buy and spoke with Geek Squad and they said that it's corrupted and there is nothing I can do. Am EXTREME bummer... fortunately I've been digging around and have found most of the items which were on there and some older version of things I had and just need to update. I did lose some really cool Albert Belle pictures of cards which have sold that I don't own but such is life. Lesson learned.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
did you try a flash drive data recovery tool? you may be able to save some data off the drive.

If the drive isn't failing or hard-wired to be read-only, you might even be able to reformat it and reuse it after you try to save data from it. My experience is once flash drives aren't fixable by chkdsk, they won't accept a new format after you try a data recovery tool.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
did you try a flash drive data recovery tool? you may be able to save some data off the drive.

If the drive isn't failing or hard-wired to be read-only, you might even be able to reformat it and reuse it after you try to save data from it. My experience is once flash drives aren't fixable by chkdsk, they won't accept a new format after you try a data recovery tool.
Hmm I don't know. I know zero about IT, so I'll have to google what you're talking about. I would hope the Geek Squad would of told me there was potentially other options out there if there were.

---
Looking for Albert Belle cards! PM me!

PoseyBuster

Banned
Jul 17, 2013
Hmm I don't know. I know zero about IT, so I'll have to google what you're talking about. I would hope the Geek Squad would of told me there was potentially other options out there if there were.

---
Sadly, Geek Squads' main job now is actually to sell more product than to help people who have problems.

My roommate's boyfriend works at Best Buy as a Geek, and they got "re-trained" 8-10 months ago to focus on selling newer upgraded products to the customers that come to them for help.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Sadly, Geek Squads' main job now is actually to sell more product than to help people who have problems.

My roommate's boyfriend works at Best Buy as a Geek, and they got "re-trained" 8-10 months ago to focus on selling newer upgraded products to the customers that come to them for help.
Jesus. Well I will have to research how to do a recovery or reformat on my own. If anyone recommends any links for me to read, let me know.

---

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
i would start by going to the manufacturer site of the flash drive you have (hopefully it's sandisk or kingston or other known decent brands in the flash drive world). They should have a FAQ that may help you out or get your research more detailed and they may even have the drive data recovery tool available for download or a recommendation on which software they recommend to attempt to do data recovery with.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
It's a PNY product... 8 BG drive. Here is the site link: PNY

Not sure if they have anything but I'll try and contact them. At the very least, maybe they'll send me a new one or something. I would be THRILLED if they were able to recover what I had on this thing...

Philip J. Fry

Aug 9, 2008
Ohio
If you don't have Dropbox or something similar, it wouldn't hurt to take a look into them. Flash drives, in my experience, don't seem to last like they should and so whenever I save a file or even update it on the flash drive, I send a copy to Dropbox so it's always current.

zach

Aug 7, 2008
Evil Empire
I have everything backup to an external hard drive AND CrashPlan.

I use DropBox for moving large files between work and home.

Latest posts