Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

December - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
1999 Topps Stars 'N Steel Domed Holographic
s-l1600.jpg

MSRP in 1999 $9.99 per pack, 3 cards per pack according to BaseballCardPedia.
These were seeded 1 in 24 packs, or 2 boxes. $240 at a chance to pull one.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
2015 Bowman Chrome Draft Blue Refractor.jpg

2015 Bowman Chrome Blue Refractor /150
I'm using the COMC image since who knows when I'll see it in hand lol. This one leaves me a Red Paper /5, Red Refractor /5, an Asia Black Wave refractor, and the Metallic Paper and Super short of the paper and chrome rainbows.

2019 Bowman Chrome Prospects Orange Shimmer Refractor.jpg
2019 Bowman Chrome Draft Orange Shimmer Refractor /25

2019 Bowman Chrome Red Shimmer Refractor.jpg
2019 Bowman Chrome Draft Red Shimmer Refractor /5

These two put me a Red paper away from the rainbow minus the Platinum/Super. Here's the funny part though. Here we are on the internet connecting us to collectors world wide and both these cards were literally sitting less than 5 miles from my house in rural Oklahoma. I joined a Cardinals group on Facebook and put up my normal "Looking for Ryan Helsley cards" post. Less than 30 minutes later a collector that I didn't know from my hometown messaged me and said he had the Red Shimmer if I had some other Cardinals or RC stuff to trade. When we met up today at our local shop to trade he also had the Orange Shimmer (as part of a Shimmer rainbow he'd assembled that I acquired) that I didn't realize I needed until I got home and started scanning for the website.

Yadi Auto.jpg
2018 Topps X Bryce Harper 220 Autograph /25

He also pulled several PSA 9 Pujols RCs out of a tub along with some gorgeous Yadier Molina autos. I hadn't taken the kind of cards with me to peel those away from him so I'm sure we'll be meeting up to trade again in the near future. I did manage to get this Yadi auto from him today though.

The most amazing thing about the whole trade was neither of us looked up a price or checked comps once. He pulled out some stuff he liked from my trade boxes and I did the same with his. We talked it back and forth and both left the shop happy with what we took home. Those are the best kinds of trades.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Those Stars and Steel Holographics are so beautiful. Kind of difficult to store, too, they like to stick to things. And that Yadi auto up there is gorgeous.

I had a massive mailday from my big shopping spree last week:

120820-1.jpg
Tons of 2005-2010 Topps Black (and those dang Coppers from 2007) for my A's collection plus a small number of similar non-A's cards I needed for the Big Three. This puts me two away from the 2005 Topps Black team set (missing Zito and the Andre Ethier RC), 6 away from completing 2006 regular and update Blacks (but 3 of those have Frank Thomas on them so it will be tough to complete), and 2 away from completing 2007 regular and update Copper/56 (missing Bobby Kielty from base Topps and Rich Harden from update). I overpaid on the 2005's and the 2010 Ziegler just to get them off my list, at least they were on sale at the time. Most of the 2006's and 2007's were from Sportlots, a seller over there had a ton of cards from those sets for very reasonable prices, check it out if you need any from those years. Mostly around $4 for commons, but the 2007 Kurt Suzuki RC was only $2.69, a great deal considering how much these parallels of RCs can go for.

120820-2.jpg
One of my collecting goals for 2020 was to whittle down my Mirror Red/Blue/Gold needs from 2001-2005 and we're getting towards the end of the year so I bit the bullet and overpaid a little for these 4 2001 Mirror Golds. For 2021 I'm going to try to also whittle down my 2001-2005 Mirror autograph and GU needs so I got a jump on that with the 2005 Mirror Gold Dotel auto. And an unrelated 2004 Platinum Medallion Mulder. It is really tough to find legit serial numbered Platinums from 2004 and 2005, there are a ton of unnumbered backdoored/bankruptcy cards out there. I've received these are a "surprise" on more than one occasion so I try to be careful.

120820-3.jpg
Speaking of backdoored stuff...the numbering on the 2001 Mirror Gold Tejada is on the left - the other 3 cards had numbering like the one on the right which is more consistent with other Donruss/Leaf cards of that era. I haven't heard about a bunch of unnumbered 2001 Mirrors getting out so I don't know if this is a bogus serial number somebody put on an unnumbered card, or if that's how Donruss/Leaf stamped replacement cards that year? If it was somebody faking it, they did a terrible job, it doesn't look anything like the other cards.

120820-4.jpg
The Baines autograph is an SP out of 2004 Fan Favorites. It has always been very high on my wantlist because it's his only A's certified auto. I've also wanted the 2001 Heritage Terrence Long for a while. Now I need to pick up the Bobby Shantz from the set, though I already own 2 of his autograph cards that look extremely similar using his 1952 Topps card design. I've always thought the 2003-2005 Fan Favorites Refractors were some of the nicest refractors ever made, and these two bring my wantlist down to 4 cards: a 2003 Vida Blue and Canseco cards from all 3 years, oy.

120820-5.jpg
I've been trying to pick up my needs for the 2005 Reflections Dual Signatures and Cut from the Same Cloth Red/99 and Blue/35 sets this year and haven't had much success. I'm sure these two were cheaper than they would have been back in 2005, at least. I don't have any 1996 McGwire Mirrors but this pickup means I'm only missing the Certified Blue card for a complete set of his non-mirrors! And this 2007 Zito completes my run of all of his Bowman Chrome Gold Refractors (10 total plus his 2000 Retro/Future Refractor since they didn't do golds that year).

Last edited:

madbull34

Sep 10, 2009
San Diego, CA
Dilferules - Nice A's stuff as always.

Early Matsui auto, not my favorite, but couldn't pass it up for the price.
s-l800.jpg

Back on the GU chase, picked up the base 01 SP GU on COMC and these.
s-l600.jpg

s-l600.jpg

2020 Yankees Base Set (Series 1, 2 and Update) --- missing US144 combo card
70 cards in complete team set, this puts me at 40. 17 SPs remain and 12 SSPs. :rolleyes:

s-l600.jpg

2018 Debut Set bv
s-l600.jpg
`

Nice I have the same Matsui auto.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Much smaller mailday today:

120920.jpg
The 1996 Leaf Preferred Press Proofs are truly the worst Press Proofs of the '90s, the only difference between them and a regular card is a swap from silver to gold on that small amount of foil. The Michael Wenner 2000 Bowman Chrome card is an uncorrected error that pictures Terrence Long. Michael Wenner is actually a white dude. Even crazier is Topps did this with two A's in the same set, picturing African-American future Astros manager Bo Porter on Eric Byrnes' card. I mean come on, Eric Byrnes has to be one of the palest major leaguers in history.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
December 10:

121020.jpg
A couple of solid additions to my '88 Topps set, a legit 2004 Platinum Medallion Tim Hudson, and both A's from one of the many many MANY MANY MANY online products Topps has produced this year. They are milking this hot market to death.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I really should get my Trout Update RC graded at some point, just so if I miraculously got a 10 I could sell it and re-buy a 9 for my set. Free money! That or having it ready to go if I needed to sell it some day.

December 11 mail:

121120-2.jpg
A couple of early 2000s Donruss/Leaf cards that are tougher than you'd think. The first 125 cards of the 1500 card print run for the Ellis were the autographed die cut Turn of the Century versions. I always hated when they did that, don't play dumb games, just let people know how rare the card is. The Juan Pena leaves me one short of completing the A's SPs from 2001 Leaf Rookies and Stars - still missing Eric Hinske (but have the autographed parallel). A lot of those early 2000s SPed prospect cards are super tough to find because they're in sets or nobody figures it's worth listing a Juan Pena base card for sale.

121120-1.jpg
A few months back I was excited about picking up a small lot of 1994 Target A's Pogs, which wiped out about half of my needs for a set I'd been hunting down for years. Well I recently found a couple of different lots that totalled 4 "sheets" of these stadium giveaway Pogs and finally finished this stupid set. One of the sheets came with the Pogs practically falling out so I just detached them; the Mike Aldrete was the only one I needed from that sheet. The best Pog on the unpictured sheet is Eckersley, I didn't need any from that one. I think I'll keep the sheets intact and sell any loose doubles I have. Unfortunately no doubles of Henderson.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Another big mailday today...

121220-1.jpg
Two of my three biggest '90s refractor wants on the same day. These complete both the 1994 Bowman's Best and 1997 Bowman Chrome Refractor team sets. The 1984 Rickey is the Tiffany version and leaves only his regular (non all-star) 1985 card on my Topps Tiffany wantlist. The 1996 Studio Bronze Press Proof puts me one away from having all of the '96 Studio A's Press Proofs...but the one I'm missing is the Silver McGwire so it'll be a while. I entered 2020 needing 4 1996 Leaf Gold Press Proofs and this Jose Herrera was the only one I was able to find all year. Sneaky tough set.

121220-2.jpg
The 2001 Johnny Damon and Jose Ortiz cards complete my 2001 Mirror Red A's team set. With the addition of this Giambi I only need an Ortiz to finish off the Mirror Golds. The Mulder finishes the 2002 Mirror Red A's team set. That 2002 Mirror Gold Terrence Long has a sweet patch but I have no idea where it's from, either it's an alternate jersey similar to the one Giambi is pictured in above or something from the Mets maybe? That was his only other team prior to this card. My Mirror Red version of this card just has a plain white swatch. There might be some shenanigans going on here.

121220-3.jpg
These four 2000 Stadium Club One of a Kind cards complete my team set. I always thought it was dumb that they were called "One of a Kind" when they were /150. Not as bad as the Panini set called "Unparalleled" that I have ten different Trent Dilfer parallels from, but still pretty stupid. Back to the mailday...2000 Stadium Club First Days seem to be easier to find than the 1998 and 1999 versions, I'm only missing 2 cards for the team set after adding this Piatt.

121220-4.jpg
Leibrandt is another addition to my signed '88 Topps set. I actually found this one by searching for the misspelled "Liebrandt." The Topps Chrome Red Refractor RC auto was a big missing piece for my Brett Anderson collection so I'm happy to have picked that up. The stupid Patchworks Graham Koonce card is the final A's non-auto serial numbered RC/"rookie" I needed. It's /799 but was pretty difficult to find. These were a big fad around 2000-2005, then after Fleer and DLP dropped out Topps and UD concentrated more on autographed RCs. I think the only serial numbered "base" RCs remaining on my wantlist are a couple of Keiichi Yabu autographed cards out of 2005 Leaf Limited. The T205 Bris Lord doesn't look too bad on the front but here's the back:
121220-5.jpg
On close examination it looks like the back of the card might be coated in some kind of glue and the blue stuff might be residue from whatever it was glued to back in the 1910s. Pretty common for cards of this era but this looked a little weirder than most. Got it for a good price, though! It doesn't bother me as much as a creased up card.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Smaller mailday today:

121420.jpg
The Season Stat Line is 14/85. The Topps Now card was a bonus card for the A's finally winning a playoff series after I bought the playoff team set.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Nice, I actually have a David Wright autograph in my A's collection:

05ultdualjsysigcw.jpg

Got some pretty cool stuff in the mail today:

121520.jpg
Finally picked up a '94 Finest Refractor Rickey Henderson. I'm sure a 7 would bug a lot of people but it looks fine to me personally and I wouldn't be bugged by the same card raw so I'm good. It's obviously off-center but it's not miscut or anything, and there is a refractor line just above his name, but other than that I don't see anything wrong. I'm really happy with it and this was the final A's card I needed for the full (base) Refractor run up through 2018. The '95 Donruss Press Proof Rickey also completes that team set. Always good to add a rookie year 01/25 Cespedes auto to my collection. And the Steinbach card is part of the 1984 Madison Muskies team set, one of the few cards I still needed from his A's (affiliated) years. As a bonus the set included a signed card of manager Brad Fischer, who would end up as a coach in Oakland for 13 seasons.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
December 16:

121620.jpg
I was trying to get all of the A's in the 2020 Topps Now Turn Back the Clock set but they stopped sending me daily emails so I missed a few. I got this Thomas for a little less than I would have paid Topps, so that's nice. I believe the last one I'm missing is a Miguel Tejada but I haven't been able to find that at a good price yet. The Dave Stewart is his first card in a few years, real nice design from Panini. The Omar Qunitanilla is amazingly the first 2004 Bowman Heritage Mahogany card I've ever owned. They are pretty popular and usually sell for quite a bit more than your average /25 parallel. I sucked it up and paid about $16 dlvd for this one. Sharp looking set.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
You don't see those Bowman Heritage Mahogany parallels very often. Nice find!
You really don't. That reminds me that I haven't seen my Yadi Molina Mahogany RC in a while and it wasn't in my Cardinals box when I looked the other day. Time to go digging.

I don't really get into YouTube box break videos and that whole scene but a while back I watched several box breaks done by former pitcher Phil Hughes and he pulled an Eric Chavez Mahogany...I went to check eBay but the video was pretty old and the card had sold long ago. I miss out on a lot like that because I only search fixed price listings for a few players (and particular cards) due to the overwhelming amount of overpriced crap you have to wade through. For 95% of players I'm just looking at auctions, so if something cool from a set I'm not specifically searching for shows up as a BIN-only listing I will completely miss it.

Today's mail:

121720.jpg
I already have a copy of the Dilfer card, actually the whole 14-card rainbow, but this one was 01/30 so I had to snag it. Now I have 8 of the 14 cards in the rainbow with serial number 01/. The Tejada is /99, the Pristine Refractors can be difficult to locate.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I had a huge pile of cards sitting at COMC and decided to split them up: I paid extra for "fast" shipping to get some cards I was really looking forward to seeing within 2-3 weeks...that shipment arrived today. The rest will be getting here in March at the earliest. So here's the "good" stuff:

121820-1.jpg
The Dilfer card is one of those backdoored/bankruptcy no serial number cards, the regular version of this card should be /500. The 1989 Starting Lineup Weiss is the last card in hand for a complete run of A's Starting Lineup cards 1988-2001. The bottom two cards are Topps Tiffanys.

121820-2.jpg
Some '90s goodness. Real happy about all of these!

121820-3.jpg
Some more from the '90s. The 1996 Leaf Signature Gold Plantier puts me one away from the Bronze/Silver/Gold team set, just missing a Giambi Gold. For 1998 Donruss Press Proofs I'm now just missing Gold and Silver Rickeys. Only missing Canseco for 1998 Stadium Club One of a Kind. The Co-Signers card...Ricardo Rincon went on to pitch for the A's later in his career so I wanted an autograph card of him. His only autographed cards were in this set (3 different 2-player cards and one 4-player card) so hey now I have a Mike Lowell auto in my collection as well.

121820-4.jpg
Nice patch on the Mirror Gold Mulder, plus no creasing or problems with the foil on the corners/edges which can be tough sometimes. 2000 Finest Gold Die-Cut Refractors are some of my favorite cards ever. The Steve Stanley card brings my needlist down to 2 cards for 2002 Bowman Chrome Draft Gold Refractors. There were a lot of A's in that set...2002 was the "Moneyball draft." Mark Teahen and Jeremy Brown are the last 2 I need.

121820-5.jpg
I always have to pick up Bowman Chrome Red Refractors/5 when the prices are good...if I recall correctly the Manaea was about $15, which seems like a good deal for a RC of an okay player. I usually pay $8-10 for total duds that never made the majors like Akau. I already have the /9 version of this Gio Gonzalez card that looks almost exactly the same (and even has slightly better patches) but I couldn't pass up this 1/1 because I'm a big Gio A's collector. The Reggie Jackson was mislabeled as a regular base Donruss card when it's actually an Artist Proof 05/10. Got it for about a buck.

Members online

Latest posts