Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Dilferules's 1988-present Oakland A's autograph thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Whenever I see threads like this, I tend to notice the Dodger overlap, as every team has some. I keep thinking how awesome would it be for someone to somehow design and execute a team autograph set, like the 1990 Target Dodgers set, yet with signatures. Clearly all of the players would have to be alive at the time of the set's creation. It would be a really great way to get cards (certified) of players who skipped through town and never had a signed card with that team.

It would be cost prohibitive beyond belief, but still a great fantasy product to think about.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Frank Schwindel debuted with the A's the other day, which brought me down to 519/686. Then this arrived today:

schwindelfrank.jpg
Seems like a career AAAA type guy but he was tearing it up in AAA this year so they brought him up and he hit a homer in his first A's game.

520/686. My mail has slowed down the last few days but I've got some more incoming. I'm going to try to get my needs under 100 by the end of the year, seems very doable.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I like the format of this thread, going by the years. I might do that with my Dodgers some day if I ever get that organized or have room to be able to get to stuff when I want to. It would also help me determine who I still need in a Dodger uniform. I have always been focused on getting the signature fast and worrying about the uniform later.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A couple of new ones in today:

figueroapedro.jpgPedro Figueroa - Spent 8 years in the A's system and pitched 24 games in relief for the MLB team 2012-13, but the closest he got to a major league card was this Topps Pro Debut issue.

millerjai04just.jpgJai Miller - As far as I can tell the only player in history named "Jai." Played 7 games for the 2011 team, and even hit a homer.

That brings me up to 522/686. The A's acquired and called up reliever Sam Moll but he already played for the A's in 2017 so no change there.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Today brought three upgrades:

allenaustin20contenders.jpgAustin Allen - Previously had a couple of Padres autographs but here's an A's one...well an "Oakland" one.

jacobybrook92topps.jpgBrook Jacoby - Previously had a 1988 Topps Indians card.

wittbobby94ud.jpgBobby Witt - Previously had him on a 1994 Flair A's card but it was personalized and I didn't think it looked good.

And one new signature:

heimjonah21stadiumclub.jpgJonah Heim - Was backup catcher part of the year in 2020 then traded in the offseason. Thankfully Topps has major lag time on their autographs so he has a couple of recently released A's autos.

Heim brings me up to 523/686.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
One upgrade today:

canhamark21finest.jpgMark Canha - This 2021 Finest card is his first A's certified auto aside from some recent Archives buyback stuff.

And one new one:

carterchris.jpgChris Carter - His only certified autos are from the minor leagues so this one will do nicely.

Carter brings me up to 524/686.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Is that not certified?

The Carter is not. I think he has an Elite Extra auto with the Diamondbacks and a 2008 Donruss Threads Oakland auto I'd consider minor league, other than that it's Tri-Star minor league junk.

Got two new ones in today:

bowerscedrick.jpgCedrick Bowers - Didn't make his MLB debut until ten years after this 1998 Bowman card was issued, with the Rockies. In between he pitched three full seasons at AAA without getting the call followed by three seasons in Japan and Korea. Pitched 14 games for the 2010 A's and saw zero MLB action after that.

velandiajorge.jpgJorge Velandia - Played parts of three seasons with the A's 1998-2000 but didn't hit well. Continued bouncing between the majors and minors with various teams until 2009.

That puts me at 526/686.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Four new ones in today:

bleichjeremy08razor.jpgJeremy Bleich - Yankees first round pick in 2008 spent an entire decade in the minors with several teams before finally getting called up to the 2018 A's...where he recorded a single out in 2 appearances while giving up 2 runs. Spent another season in the minors afterwards and that was it.

bradymichael.jpgMichael Brady - 2009 Marlins pick finally made it to the majors in 2017 with the A's. Pitched 16 games with a 6.25 ERA and that was it for him.

brugmanjaycob.jpgJaycob Brugman - Only MLB player in history to spell his first name in that stupid way. Was so-so in 48 games for the 2017 A's and hasn't made it back to the majors since...currently in the Braves system.

conradbrooks.jpgBrooks Conrad - Utility infielder drafted by the Astros in 2001, debuted in the majors with the A's for 6 games in 2008. Bounced around until 2016, including a good year with the Braves in 2010.

That brings me up to 530/686, getting close to the 150 remaining mark.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
This doesn't count towards my goal totals, but from 1988 to present the A's have had five managers:

larussatony05tfanauto.jpgTony LaRussa 1986-1995: Won the only pennants and World Series title for the A's since their '70s dynasty. Ranks second in MLB manager wins behind another A's skipper, Connie Mack.

howeart01sweetauto.jpgArt Howe 1996-2002: Famously didn't get along well with Billy Beane and the team let him go to the Mets after a 103 win season.

machaken.jpgKen Macha 2003-2006: Shortest managerial tenure during this time period, he didn't seem to get along with the players that well and was canned after a season where the A's reached the ALCS.

gerenbob.jpgBob Geren 2007-2011: The only A's manager to be fired mid-season in the last 30+ years, and absolutely the most hated by the fans. He presided over a low point that certainly wasn't all his fault, but also he was friends with Beane so it was figured that was the only reason he was hired and retained.

melvinbob.jpgBob Melvin 2011-present: A local guy who is well-liked, he recently passed LaRussa to vault into second place in games managed and wins for the A's franchise. Only needs to manage approximately 37 more seasons to catch Mack.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The A's had a new debut recently:

wilsonjacob15bbestref.jpgJacob Wilson - Drafted by the Cardinals way back in 2012, he finally made his MLB debut last week and is 0 for 3 in two games so far. Bought this one on eBay as soon as he was called up.

So no loss or gain, I'm at 531/687 now.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Got three pitchers in the mail today:

evelanddana.jpgDana Eveland - Picked up from Arizona in the Dan Haren trade, he was serviceable in 29 2008 starts but fell way off in 2009 and was sold to the Blue Jays. Bounced around until 2016.

harikkalatim.jpgTim Harikkala - Name makes me want to sing Mele Kalikimaka. During his tour of bouncing around the majors and minors he stopped for 8 poor relief appearances in Oakland.

laxtonbrett.jpgBrett Laxton - Pitched 3 games for the 1999 A's and 6 for the 2000 Royals and that was it for him. His dad Bill pitched for 5 teams in the '70s.

That gets me up to 534/687.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Eveland, another played shared between the A's and Dodgers. His LA stint was 5 games in 2011. He got the decision in all 5, going 3-2. The Dodgers got a couple minor leagues when they traded him, so no win there.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
4 more in today:

fontwilmer.jpgWilmer Font - A heinous 14.84 ERA in 4 games for the 2018 A's. Coughed up 5 homers in 6.2 innings. I'm trying to say he was not good.

gentrycraig13topenauto.jpgCraig Gentry - Backup outfielder was very mediocre in 2014 then extremely crappy in 2015.

jimenezmiguel.jpgMiguel Jimenez - Prospect pitched 13 games for the A's 1993-94 but never panned out.

romosergio08justauto.jpgSergio Romo - Longtime Giants reliever is with the A's this season. Started the year poorly but has been better lately. His ERA isn't great but his FIP and WHIP are solid.

That gets me up to 538/687. Hey below 150 needed!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Font and Romo, 2 more brief Dodgers. They shared a lot of players...

Yup, going way back to just before my first year watching them, when they swung the Bob Welch trade.

-

Alright 8 new ones from my long-delayed COMC shipment:

cabreraorlando98donsig.jpgOrlando Cabrera - Had a half season stopover in Oakland in 2009 where he hit .280 but did everything else bad enough to have a negative WAR. Traded to the Twins mid-season for another guy in this post.

garrisonwebster95sigrookies.jpgWebster Garrison - 5 games with the 1996 team was his entire MLB career, but has been a minor league coach/manager with the A's for 20+ years.

hannahanjack02justauto.jpgJack Hannahan - Spent parts of three seasons 2007-09 as the A's third baseman in the years between Eric Chavez and Josh Donaldson. Needless to say he was not as good as those guys.

ladendorftyler08elite.jpgTyler Ladendorf - The guy picked up from the Twins for Orlando Cabrera. Played parts of a couple seasons with the A's and managed to hit .083 with a .185 OPS in 44 games in 2015. Has a valuable RC because it's shared with Max Muncy.

lambjake13bc.jpgJake Lamb - Picked up mid-season in 2020 due to a Matt Chapman injury and filled in admirably.

mcfarlandtj10bc.jpgTJ McFarland - Reliever has pitched well in 2 out of 9 MLB seasons. His one year with the A's in 2020 was not one of those good ones.

minormike09bc.jpgMike Minor - Another mid-2020 pickup when the A's were desperate for starting pitching. Well, he provided some starting pitching, that's about what you can say.

thompsontrayce10bc.jpgTrayce Thompson - 1 hit in 7 at bats in 2018 before being shipped to the White Sox for cash.

Those additions bring me up to 546/687. Steadily marching towards double-digit needs.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
A few more today:

herrmannchris13select.jpgChris Herrmann - Backup catcher during 2019 barely broke the Mendoza line and was released in September.

wangweichung14classics.jpgWei-Chung **** - Was okay in 20 relief appearances during 2019.

wendelkenjb.jpgJB Wendelken - Reliever has been up and down with the A's since 2016 and has had some success in the past 3 years.

That bumps me up to 549/687.

Members online

Latest posts