Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Directv vs Dish Network

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
My wife and I just bought a house and found out that our local cable company doesn't offer service to our area yet so I'm looking to subscribe to satellite. Does anyone have any recommendations for either company. I'm mainly looking at HD channels, Cubs games, and other sports channels. From looking at the web sites it looks like Directv does not offer WGN HD while Dish does not have the MLB network. They both seem comparable in price but Dish requires a 2 year commitment which I don't want to do. Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with either company to share?

kdailey4315

Mar 4, 2009
I've had both and the only thing that makes Directv better is the NFL Sunday ticket. If you don't plan on paying $300+ for the Sunday Ticket then go with Dish Network. Dish Network is also cheaper. Unless you buy the directv equipment outright they will require a commitment also.

wolfmanalfredo

Aug 7, 2008
Minnesota
Depends on what you watch. I've had both, and direct tv is far and above better then dish network. They have more channels, better customer service, and their field technicians are top notch. I'd choose them if it were me, but you need to decide whats best for you guys personally.

moxacaine

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Fredericksburg, VA
i have direct tv and love it. if you decided you want to go with direct tv and want an extra $100 let me know. if you i give you my account number and you use it as a referral we both get $100. :p

meucci67

Aug 7, 2008
South of Pittsburgh, PA
Direct TV subscriber since 1996... Very happy with the service... 2 service calls and both were resolved by the end of the day(On one call, the local tech wasn't available, but they had the next available tech from Pittsburgh drive over to deliver a new receiver).

Michael

jflan702

Sep 25, 2008
outside of Boston
I've had Direct TV for a few years and it is a lot better than Dish Network. I have also installed a ton of dishes in the past, and if you want flexibility, go with Direct TV. Dish Network has a special connector on their dish that makes it difficult to move or add lines directly to the dish. If you know what you are doing, it is easy to add rooms to Direct TV using regular coax wire and connectors. The cust support at Dish is pretty awful as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Check into Hughes as well. I hear that they offer high speed internet as well. (I saw the commercial as I typed this.)

Thanks,

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
We've had both and I prefer DirecTV over Dish Network. Nothing wrong with Dish Network, but I like DirecTV better. One of the things I disliked about Dish was you had to share a satellite box between two TV's. So if you wanted to get a DVR box for two TV's you have to share one DVR between the two. So you can't watch live TV and record at the same time, unless the other TV isn't being used at all. With DirecTV each TV gets their own box so you can record TV and watch TV at the same time. Or you can record two TV shows at the same time.

DirecTV also has a better channel selection in HD and a few channels that Dish Network doesn't have. Their customer service seems more friendly and more willing to help than Dish Network as well.

bballcardkid

Aug 7, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
moxacaine said:
i have direct tv and love it. if you decided you want to go with direct tv and want an extra $100 let me know. if you i give you my account number and you use it as a referral we both get $100. :p

My Dad is switching from cable to Direct TV since the cable company keeps jacking up the prices of everything. I'll use you as a reference once he switches at the end of April if you'd like. I'm sure he would love to have an extra $100

Crazylox23

Aug 8, 2008
I install both and by a mile Dish network is better. It is more user friendly and their HD programming is top notch, but the ease of use is what I like the most. their recievers also have less problems then direct

Weimer

Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I pretty much disagree on all points. We had far more problems with our Dish Network boxes than we ever have with DirecTV. Dish Network's HD programming isn't any better than DirecTV's and they have less of a selection of HD channels. I also like the menu system on DirecTV better than I did Dish Network and the integration of the DVR.

In all honesty though, it's all subjective. Go with whatever you deem is the better deal or what works for you. You're going to get 20 different opinions based on different experiences. So look at the promotional pricing packages each is offering and determine which seems better to you and just go with it. The differences aren't going to be extraordinary between the two so you can't really make a "bad" choice.

kentuckyderby

Aug 7, 2008
was Chicago now Glendale AZ
Weimer said:
lol, I love how two different people have asked to be your reference for a free $100.

I didn't notice Mox did as well
I replied to post before scrolling all the way down

Anyway, it may have worked for Mox. Good for Mox. He deserves it. Good guy
(although I was offering $40 on top of it)

Members online

Latest posts