Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Est. 2023 Topps Products print runs…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I'd take these figures with a huge grain of salt. A lot of the people that I see on message boards or twitter trying to calculate print runs are people that are clearly new to the hobby in the last few years and are trying to force a square peg into a round hole to get exact numbers that aren't really possible due to the different pack configurations and odds. Collectors that have been around longer know this but for some reason the newbies feel like they can outsmart everybody and come up with real numbers.

Number one reason to not trust any of these numbers: the blanket statement that the print run for 1988 Topps autographs (misprinted as 1987) is 575. Anybody who has been paying attention would know the print runs vary on these, with of course the expensive big star autos having much smaller print runs than cheap rookies. Searching for A's stuff it's very clear there are way more Shea Langeliers and Jonah Bride autos from this set than Canseco, Eckersley, or especially McGwire.

Off that grumpy old man topic, it's nice to see Topps not serial numbering everything and the effect it has. For example the Heavy Lumber cards are tough pulls and sell accordingly...if they were serial numbered to /500 or whatever the actual print run was, it would decrease the excitement and value from them and they'd sell for less. It's fun to see unnumbered inserts sell well as if we were back in the '90s. And it's way better than having 10 different /100 parallels.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
Curious how they came to their estimates on the Heritage reds and blues. AFAIK, there's no indication how many of the megaboxes are made. I made a similar rough calculation in 2021 and came up with some similar numbers, low three figures, but that was just pulling a number out of the air like 24 boxes per store and finding out how many stores there are. There's also insoluble algebra on retail vs hobby to determine base card print run, but once you get over a quarter-million per card I don't think it matters.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Looks like they made more than twice as many for this year's Cosmic Chrome...

2023 Topps Cosmic Chrome - Almost ready to post production numbers, but in the meantime… There has been some criticism about this release but consider this: the approx. total amount of numbered cards has gone from 45,000 in 2022 to 112,000 in 2023.

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Odds in Topps Chrome for MVP REDEMPTION cards.

Presumably Acuna and Ohtani but odds don’t change for whoever it is that wins…

IMG_4139.jpeg

Latest posts