Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Finished cataloging my run of Topps sets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I posted earlier that I have a nice run of Topps Flagship sets from 1973 - 2015, including the Traded/Update sets.

From going through all 43 sets, I have got to relive a lot of memories and found out some things that I didn't know.

1) I am really proud of the condition that my sets are in. My 1973 set looks as nice as my 2015 set.

2) I am really surprised at the value of some of the insert sets I have collected. I have a lot of Hobby Masters, Own the Game and other sets that aren't particularly valuable, but other sets that I thought would have been junk have some nice value to them. I have a 110 card run of 2004 Topps Traded Checklists that I would have though was worthless, but has some good value. The 2004 Topps Fall Classic Programs set is very nice. The 2006 Declaration of Independence set is nice as is the 2008 Campaign set. Just a lot of insert sets that I thought were worthless actually have some decent value to them.

3) Some of the Topps Traded/Update sets are insane. I was shocked to see how much my 1982 Traded set has appreciated and I remember agonizing over the cost of the purchase in the early 90s. The number of sets from 2000 on that are valuable is crazy. These are all sets that I might have $15 to $30 into and they are now worth hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

This has been a fun project.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
I forgot one point.

4) Almost without exception, all Autographs and Relics from these sets are relatively worthless. Game used of guys like Pujols and Ichiro sell for relatively little. Very few of the autographs have any value at all either. I found just a handful of nice ones.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
That's fantastic, had to be a blast to go through those.

Curious, why did you stop after 2015? I'm collectig Yankee team sets 1952-now. It got really hard for me after 2016 with the SSP and SSSSPs.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
The SPs and the SSPs and the sparkles and vintage logos and reverse stock and just a bunch of other things just started taking the fun out of putting together team sets.

I also had a daughter in college and a son about to start college, so I thought I had better uses for my money.

I've still been putting together the Rangers from Topps Now, Topps TBT, Topps on Demand, etc, so that has been fun. I also have still been collecting Rangers bobbleheads, so I still dabble a little bit.

My next project will be to catalog my Rangers team sets.

nevermore

Aug 7, 2008
New York
I'm realizing the same thing. From 2016 onward, there are 10-12 Yankee SSPs each year between Topps and Heritage, running well into four figures to complete. I'd rather put that money towards vintage cards or higher end autographs. I can't bring myself to pay $100 for a card of Lou Gehrig fishing.

I haven't explored the online Topps sets you listed yet, Heritage & Topps Baseball keeps me busy enough. I plan to go back and pick up OPC Yankee variations to complete those team sets from 1971-1992. That seems like a fun project with a finite checklist and not too pricey (unlike Venezuelans). I also need to go through upgrade some of my vintage as well.

Thanks for sharing, it's inspiring to see such a complete collection.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I can't help but wonder how newer prospect/rookie cards (talking base and update sets, not any serial numbered/auto type cards) can hold the values they have. Unless they are extremely short printed, just about every single one went into a sleeve and will be preserved in as new condition. As those stars begin to fade, which happens to all but maybe 5% of the players who play, the values begin to drop as well.

Older sets are worth so much compared to newer cards because of the percentage of cards that didn't survive, not to mention the increased production year to year as cards got more and more popular. We see that in curves of pricing with 50s vs 60s vs 70s vs 80s etc. How is it now, that all of these cards can be worth so much, other than people are paying stupid prices for everything recently? I see a rude awakening for a lot of folks if they count on those prices staying where they are.

Rant over.

Maybe the cataloging will spark some renewed interest in them. I know when i dig out stuff I have not seen in a while, I usually feel a renewed interest in the hobby as a whole, despite many things making it frustrating to continue on day to day. Depending on your age and financial situation, among other factors, there is always going to be a good and bad time to get rid of everything.

Wish you luck. I know you have a few items for sure I would have interest in, if/when the time comes. I hope you give us a heads up before you start the purge.

deaconblues63

Oct 25, 2012
@mrmopar I couldn’t agree more. I understand the value of my 1973 Topps set, but the values of say, the 2001 Traded set or the 2011 Update and 2014 Update just don’t seem justified, even with the stars they contain, given the production and how much survives.

I think we are in a bubble and I probably should take advantage of it. I’ve had a blast going through the sets. I’m not desperate to sell, so I like being able to proceed at my own pace. It’s also something that I don’t want my family to deal with in the future. Just seems like a good time to consider making a move.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

Members online

Latest posts