Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Has the bottom dropped out of the card market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
In the last couple of months but especially in the past month or so, it seems like a lot of card prices have plummeted or are just holding low in general across the 4 major sports with the exception of maybe basketball. Do you think that is a result of a lot of people going back to work now that covid has died down a lot or have people just moved on from cards? It seems like even the cards of baseball players especially pitchers who are currently doing very well just aren't selling for a whole lot, even the more limited parallels. To anyone reading, do you think this trend will continue or do you think this is a "valley" after the big peak/spike at the end of last year/beginning of 2021?

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I have noticed a drop off in speculation on some of the things I have like 80s Tiffanys.

tpeichel

Oct 10, 2008
I also wonder how the new eBay requirement to supply your social security number has affected the market.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I also wonder how the new eBay requirement to supply your social security number has affected the market.
Yeah, I don't like that at all. I never like giving out my ssn anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary. That's one of the reasons I thought about leaving eBay but what other good card selling option sites are there? COMC was good for awhile but that's a consignment site and I don't feel comfortable sending in cards. I like to be in control and have what I own on hand ready to ship myself.

Tfangman

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah, I don't like that at all. I never like giving out my ssn anywhere unless it's absolutely necessary. That's one of the reasons I thought about leaving eBay but what other good card selling option sites are there? COMC was good for awhile but that's a consignment site and I don't feel comfortable sending in cards. I like to be in control and have what I own on hand ready to ship myself.
Sportlots is a great option. Not as pretty as COMC but you would be in control without the fees of eBay.

jmc855

Jan 11, 2013
RI
Stopped selling on eBay after they mandated the SSN for selling account and forced out Paypal. I liked having the PayPal buffer. No companies needs access to my checking account, ever. I only sold dribs and drabs of stuff, but now I wont at all. Sold stuff today at a local show though to a dealer. He paid fair money for what I had, but I was not trying to get full retail type numbers. May try that Sportlots thing too.

I think the pandemic over inflated prices for all the reasons that are talked about. It will have to flatten back out. The last year or so was a high market in my opinion. Theres also an amazingly huge amount of copies of all the modern product, and I think people are realizing that.

Last edited:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Yeah, I think we have left peak stupidity behind... but still I doubt it will be a full crash, perhaps just leveling off to 2019 prices at some point.

I hadn't heard about Ebay doing SSN, shame shame! :rolleyes: this makes COMC top dog IMO.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Yeah, I think we have left peak stupidity behind... but still I doubt it will be a full crash, perhaps just leveling off to 2019 prices at some point.

I hadn't heard about Ebay doing SSN, shame shame! :rolleyes: this makes COMC top dog IMO.
If COMC is top dog, we are all F#%ked!

WCTYSON

Nov 3, 2014
I do not think the bottom has dropped out but a higher floor has been established, especially with high grade cards.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I did notice a pretty stark wall that seemed to have come down. I was literally having next to 0 luck buying anything a month or two ago and all of the sudden I am winning things at record pace now. I am a bargain shopper, so no revelation to how the market is reacting from my end, but clearly something changed dramatically in the recent weeks/months.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
Aug 7, 2008
Greenfield, Wisconsin, United States
Over inflated stuff came down. Base ****.
Over hyped stuff (basketball) came down.
Look at the preseason run up on Herbert and burrow. It’s impressive.
The market has corrected for those things that were irrationally high while cards that have true value or speculative room to grow continue to rock the bells.

The market wide gravy train has derailed.

Hopefully you weren't the one holding the hot potato when the music stopped.

Members online

Latest posts