Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Home plate collision- Y/N

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fandruw25

Aug 25, 2008
Guy can't anticipate where the catcher is going to catch the ball and on a play like that, the runner is just trying to knock the ball loose. Unfortunate, yes.

I am unsure as to what change to a rule you'd like. Can you explain?

AmishDave

Featured Contributor, Collector Showcase, Senior M
Sep 19, 2009
Ely, MN
Only rule I would somehow try to put in is you can't lower your shoulder into the catcher if he isn't looking towards the runner. That will never happen though.

aarne13

Oct 15, 2008
The Permian Basin
Guy can't anticipate where the catcher is going to catch the ball and on a play like that, the runner is just trying to knock the ball loose. Unfortunate, yes.

I am unsure as to what change to a rule you'd like. Can you explain?

They could make the rule similar to the one in hockey and football. Where it is illegal to hit someone who can't protect himself while trying to make a play (ie receive the football or make a pass). On the play (post 1) Jeroloman looked like he was on the other side of the plate, Douglas had to run across the plate to hit him. If he was actually blocking the plate with the ball that might have been a lot different. Douglas could have just as easily slid into home plate. It's a pretty close play but a runner does have the time to make a conscious decision on sliding into home or blowing up the catcher.

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
there is a reason putting on catching gear is called putting on the "tools of ignorance".

nothing wrong with the way things are - It's just a job hazard to what catchers do and in most situations, training someone the position properly may avoid a lot of things (not very likely in this
case of this thread).

Football has already lopped off the nuts of the QB to where it's boring that you can't lightly touch a QB without a roughing the passer penalty, I"d hate to see baseball pussify the catcher and take away a possibility of a great play of wills and egos at the plate.

bmp1971

Jun 8, 2010
New Hampshire
Jeroloman still in hospital after collision | MiLB.com News | The Official Site of Minor League Baseball

Pretty brutal play. Douglas went out of his way to KO Jeroloman. Much like football no one should have the ability to steamroll someone who is defenseless. Will it take someone getting paralyzed to revise the rule?
Thoughts?

The idiot who hit the catcher lowered the shoulder into the catcher's face/neck/head. A better slide would be a tap slide wide of the plate, and he would have slipped in behind the catcher's foot-- Ala Bogaerts in the MiLB All-Star game.

Unfortunately, they won't change the rule until someone does get a career-ending injury.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
That's 100 percent a dirty play. The runner wasn't even aware of where the plate was--he had to crawl back and touch it. He's easily safe if he slides. There's no problem with a play like that if the catcher is up the line and blocking the plate but Jerolman wasn't even close to blocking the plate. He was straddling it as he should be.

Anyone who says a play like that is part of the game doesn't understand the difference between playing the game hard and playing the game dirty.

RogerMarisCollector61

Jan 26, 2010
Wow the catcher got crushed. If they make it against the rules for catchers to block the plate, then I'd be fine with making it against the rules to steamroll the catcher.

Todd44

Nov 25, 2008
Home Plate Collision

Completely legit play. And a great slide.

You're joking right?

Frankly, when it's clear the runner is going out of his way to contact/hurt a player and could have slid in any # of ways to score, the umpire should have the discretion on a play like that to call the runner out, as they do when a runner slides into a 2B/SS turning a double play and isn't able to touch the bag.

lisu

Aug 8, 2008
Mountain View, CA
You're joking right?

Frankly, when it's clear the runner is going out of his way to contact/hurt a player and could have slid in any # of ways to score, the umpire should have the discretion on a play like that to call the runner out, as they do when a runner slides into a 2B/SS turning a double play and isn't able to touch the bag.

I agree. I think the runner should be out if they aren't making any attempt to touch home. I also think that if they are running on the inside of the base line and tackling the catcher, they should be out. It's dangerous for the catcher and even the runner. I don't want to see anyone break their neck from a play like that.

Members online

Latest posts