Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Kudos to Jason Collins

200lbhockeyplayer

Aug 10, 2008
I would have really preferred that a player come out while under a contract to actually "force" the acceptance. Regardless, hopefully a team signs him so we (and professional team sport athletes) can get over the "what if" scenarios regarding a gay teammate in the locker room.

phillyfan0417

Administrator
I would have really preferred that a player come out while under a contract to actually "force" the acceptance. Regardless, hopefully a team signs him so we (and professional team sport athletes) can get over the "what if" scenarios regarding a gay teammate in the locker room.
Well, since he's played with almost everyone, it should be safe to say you want catch the "gay" by merely being in the same locker room.

Aug 13, 2008
This was pretty cool. I am all in favor of this, yet it will be interesting to see the "spin" should he not be re-signed. He is a fringe role player are the tail end of his career. I hope that if he is not resigned that it is not discussed as being biased. That being said, Collier seems too smart to bring himself down to that level.

bmc398

May 25, 2009
While i'm sure that he is really gay....I question the timing a bit. You are now a free agent, probably with not a ton of interest and you come out and reap the publicity of that now? Instead of a few years ago when you had a safe contract and career?

They say that any publicity is good publicity,and in this case I agree.....Collins had nothing to lose. Especially in this day and age when saying anything negative about somebody and their sexuality is so taboo vs. 10 years ago where ANY talk of sexuality was taboo.

SteelBrad

Mar 2, 2013
I actually don't have a problem with what Broussard said. I'm all for gay marriages and equal rights but he has his right to an opinion. Not once there did he say he hated gays or similar things.

Collecting Sean Burnett & Bobby Bonilla!

peterose4hof

Mar 23, 2011
Glad he came out. I think this will be a running theme over the next few years until we get to the point where it is not really a "story" anymore.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
I wonder if Broussard has ever had premarital sex? I'm sure he is living the Christian lifestyle himself. ImageUploadedByFreedom Card Board1367286395.455647.jpg

Card Magnet

Jan 24, 2009
Pennsylvania
Kerry Rhodes of the NFL is gay. His ex boyfriend recently outted him (for a second time). The media just seems to not want to cover that one.

I just hope nobody starts up an NAAHP. That would be the National Association for the Advancement of Homosexual People. It's hard enough facing racial persecution in society as a white man. As a straight white man, I would be completely defeated.

It's sad that something like this is such a big story and gets so much publicity, because it's something that should just be accepted in modern society already. Since it is not, I hope that this is the large step in getting us there.

Sent from the FCB Droid app, which means I'm probably on the crapper.

markakis8

Oct 31, 2008
I don't see this ending well for this talking head.

broussard - YouTube
Meh, I'm sure there will be backlash. But if the gay community wants peace with this, they'll understand he was speaking from his personal faith and nothing more. He wasn't being crude in his remarks, he was just stating what he believed.

I know there are some Christians out there that are bigoted with their remarks, but this wasn't one. The true Christians are those that are not afraid to state their beliefs but at the same time recognize that equal rights are important. The bigoted Christians (which unfortunately is the stereotype for Christians in a non-Christian person's eye) are just ignorant assholes that put themselves on a pedestal above everyone else.

I have no problems with Broussard's remarks b/c he wasn't JUST talking about homosexuals. He was talking about "living in sin."

Last edited:

rsmath

Nov 8, 2008
Regardless, hopefully a team signs him so we (and professional team sport athletes) can get over the "what if" scenarios regarding a gay teammate in the locker room.
I think that's already been done -- I feel a certain percentage of the population is gay and that means each locker room of a decent sized roster sport already has a few gay athletes.

I have no problem that they are gay as long as they are professional and respectful to their teammates in the locker room and not be my fears that the gay athletes treat a lockerroom as a pervy voyeur place to look at their teammates' rears, junk and maybe even have thoughts about hitting on their teammates or dream what it would be like to have intimate relations with them.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I don't see this ending well for this talking head.

broussard - YouTube
This guy is an idiot. So it's not ok to be gay, but it's ok for athletes to have pre-marital sex with a ton of women over the course of their careers? I mean, he obviously said that isn't "christian" either, but then don't just call out people that are gay, call out nearly every single athlete about their sexual activities.

prospectorgems

Nov 29, 2008
Wisconsin
I think that's already been done -- I feel a certain percentage of the population is gay and that means each locker room of a decent sized roster sport already has a few gay athletes.

I have no problem that they are gay as long as they are professional and respectful to their teammates in the locker room and not be my fears that the gay athletes treat a lockerroom as a pervy voyeur place to look at their teammates' rears, junk and maybe even have thoughts about hitting on their teammates or dream what it would be like to have intimate relations with them.
I really don't feel this is any different then someone in an environment that has attractive women/men where they work. 9 times out of 10 if you are single, a guy/girl may fantasize about coworkers or take a "longer look", but as being a professional you typically don't try to act upon it as there would be repercussions in the workplace (i.e. sexual harassment, embarrassment, termination). It's different if you see that person outside of work and you will be able to tell if they have the same feelings towards you. If you know your teammate is gay and you are outside the locker room/field and want to make an advancement at that time, then there is no problem to it. Gay or straight a person should remain professional at work and then can go out and "play" afterward.

goldenegg1

Aug 7, 2008
Broussard is making the same ridiculous comments as every Catholic Priest. The funny thing is, I'm willing to bet that a LARGE majority of Catholic Priests are gay as well.

Latest posts