Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Long term: Tiffany or O-Pee-Chee?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I have picked up both Tiffany and O-Pee-Chee singles for awhile and I'm curious as to which of the 2 people here think will be the better investment long term. I'm thinking that the majority will likely answer Tiffany because O-Pee-Chee is a Canadian brand. Both have lower print runs than the regular Topps cards. Thoughts?

KLARNOLD

Sep 17, 2008
Owensboro, KY
Tiffany has a known print run where as OPC does not. Personally, I feel OPC is harder to find and sometimes has rougher edges so condition can be an issue. I would lean toward OPC as better long term investment provided cards are good condition.

smapdi

Aug 7, 2008
In a vacuum, not knowing which card or what "long term" means, I'd pick Tiffany because of the print run and Topps name. When you look at an individual card, it could go either way. OPC and 80s Leaf are tougher to find than any Tiffany, I think, even if the print runs were surely larger, and OPC especially has condition issues. But they're "other" and while I'm a big fan of "other," the general market seems not to care unless it's a PSA 10 of a HOFer. But if you are talking about HOF PSA 10s, OPC/Leaf are the clear winners, pricewise. Looking at something like 1985 Kirby Puckett cards it's interesting how pricing goes. PSA 10s of OPC are higher than Tiffany, but on 9s it is reversed. I have to wonder what a 1985 OPC Clemens would go for, seeing as his 85 Tiffany PSA 10 sold for $16K-$22K.

OPC's variations from Topps and exclusive cards are potentially interesting, too. As this market is dredging for value harder than that bulldozer in the Suez canal, it wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't going to be, or already has been, movement on things like OPC cards that have the traded notations. And the market does seem amenable to card makers outside the big 6 being highly desirable now, so many new collectors that don't have the prejudices that have built up over the past decades. Really, I don't think either would be a bad investment, unless the market as a whole has a severe downturn, in which case it likely wouldn't matter. Basically, any guesses at longterm value at this point would only be correct accidentally.

zyceoa

Sep 2, 2012
I'd go with Tiffany since there are more rookies to choose from plus there are versions for the Topps Traded sets.

Meanwhile the O-Pee-Chee rough cut is a major turn off.

DragonWagon

May 4, 2015
Topps Tiffany has a much smaller print run, better quality, and all the great rookie cards. Many collectors during the time had no clue they existed as they were never included in Beckett monthly magazine.

Now as these collectors return to the hobby they are finally being introduced to Tiffany cards as they sell for much more than regular Topps. Making them more popular and highly sought after- increasing their long term value.

These same collectors also remember opc as being a cheap ripoff of Topps as a kid and never included the hot rookie cards. No 84 Gooden, 85 McGwire or Clemens, 86 Bonds, Jackson or Canseco, 87 Maddux, 88 Glavine or Alomar, 89 Griffey, 91 Bagwell or Rodriguez, but opc did get the scoop with 88 Delino Deshields. So unless it’s a PSA 10 or a Deshields many collectors will continue to pass over them- limiting their long term value.

Checkout the website www.tiffanycards.com to see actual print runs of Tiffany cards and how to identify them.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Topps Tiffany has a much smaller print run, better quality, and all the great rookie cards. Many collectors during the time had no clue they existed as they were never included in Beckett monthly magazine.

Now as these collectors return to the hobby they are finally being introduced to Tiffany cards as they sell for much more than regular Topps. Making them more popular and highly sought after- increasing their long term value.

These same collectors also remember opc as being a cheap ripoff of Topps as a kid and never included the hot rookie cards. No 84 Gooden, 85 McGwire or Clemens, 86 Bonds, Jackson or Canseco, 87 Maddux, 88 Glavine or Alomar, 89 Griffey, 91 Bagwell or Rodriguez, but opc did get the scoop with 88 Delino Deshields. So unless it’s a PSA 10 or a Deshields many collectors will continue to pass over them- limiting their long term value.

Checkout the website www.tiffanycards.com to see actual print runs of Tiffany cards and how to identify them.

Sent from my iPhone using Freedom Card Board

When they closed up the OPC plant in London, heard some wild stories about those rough cuts...obviously the guys doing quality control didn't care, it really was a running candy company and that was the focus. One story sounds impossible, but again not surprised...they would cut the card sheets with metal wires instead of huge blades.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
When they closed up the OPC plant in London, heard some wild stories about those rough cuts...obviously the guys doing quality control didn't care, it really was a running candy company and that was the focus. One story sounds impossible, but again not surprised...they would cut the card sheets with metal wires instead of huge blades.

The metal wire thing is actually true, impossible sounding as it may be.

PeteD

Oct 15, 2009
Southern Ont.
Yeah i believe it 100%...fellow collector from here told me, he went down to see what he could snag from the liquidation. STILL kicking my self for not going down :( Only a 3 hr drive taking it easy, depending on traffic , especially on the 401. It gets really hairy when the snow starts blowing. Made the trip multiple times, some good...some not.

Last edited:

sjm76

Feb 27, 2020
I have noticed that the value of some PSA 10 Vintage cards like the 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken FF error card have been going down in value recently but who knows if that will last. I have one and I'm still holding for the time being.

Members online

Latest posts