Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Louisville Slugger Panels from the 1950s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am fairly certain this was the same member who was selling team photos from periodicals and calling them "inserts" at one point. Perhaps that and other purposefully vague listing habits lead to the hate he was feeling. I kept my assessment of this person relatively neutral, but I still feel like he is trying to pull a fast one on the uneducated buyer. He probably figures the educated buyer will move on by, no harm, no foul.

This guy knows what he is doing and is purposely leaving out details to entice uneducated buyers into paying more for a picture cut from something than most would. If he clearly spelled out the details, "I cut these from a 1956 Louisville Slugger catalog" for example, then he would PROBABLY get less money per item, although if he only listed at BIN/BO prices, that would solve that part of the issue too. I'm sure player relatives are happy to have something from their ball player, but do they really know and understand what they are getting? Probably not in some, possibly many cases.

Here is a counter example that the seller in question could consider for emulation if he wanted to be more transparent.

I took a checklist sheet of 1984 Slurpee coins and cut it apart, as the sheet was damaged. I kept the Steve Garvey for my collection, because I do collect weird stuff like that and decided to try to sell the others. I have attached a photo of what the full sheet looks like, a photo of what I was selling and below was my description. I did call it a "card" in the title, but fully explained what I meant by that in the description. I probably hurt my bottom line or maybe there simply was not a market at the time for these I thought there might have been, but the buyers knew exactly what they were getting.

"In 1984, 7-11 was selling slurpees with 3D coins included on the bottom of the cups. In addition, there were tablets of paper checklists showing a drawing of what each coin looked like. The checklists were presumably free, although I don't remember seeing them. I suspect that typical 7-11 store employees never put them out and you'd have to know about them and ask for one to get it.

Offered here are singles from this checklist. Some may offer these as RARE PAPER PROOFS, but I am not "that guy" and these are simply the disc drawings cut from the checklist sheet into individual squares. If you have a sheet already in your collection and wanted a "card sized" single for your collection, here is your chance. Each single paper disc is roughly 1 1/4" square and blank backed. There may be some minor defects to an individual disc, such as some light creasing, bending, etc. The sheet these came from had seen better days, so I felt it best to make singles and give collectors a chance at something unique without having to buy and ruin a full sheet. 1 sheet was harmed in the making of these singles!"

I got $1.04 for Ryan and $0.99 for Reggie! Whoo Hoo!! None of the others sold. I also charged 60 cents for s/h and sent in a PWE. I was hoping for a couple bidding wars and to sell the singles for more than the whole sheet would sell for, but that didn't happen. I was also trying to offer collectors something odd and the chance at it on the cheap. I could have charged the standard $3-4 s/h and might have even had a taker still. Hopefully the buyers were happy and saved a few bucks and in the end, I feel good about what I sold.s-l1600.jpgSlurpee Single.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I just noticed the size estimate in my description was off quite a bit. I meant to say they were approx 1 3/4". Ooops...

forgerelli

Apr 4, 2013
If this is what he is selling, I'm having a hard time understanding "mental issue", "scamming someone" and "scumbag". Did you ever contact seller and ask questions???

I stand by what I said. If he was honest with what he is selling I would have zero problem with it. This guy is intentionally misleading people to make a buck off their ignorance. In my book that makes him a scumbag.

My comment about mental issues was about people that do this kind of thing for a living. There are a lot of them. I run an online business (nothing sports related) and get contacted everyday by people that got scammed by other sellers. And I watch these other sellers come and go. They do bait and switch or use another companies certifications illegally or steal designs or sell illegal black market products. They come up with these elaborate schemes and then run them into the ground stealing from uninformed consumers and suppliers. And these scammers will have to change all their phone numbers, move to another state (or even to another country) to avoid getting caught. And then they start the whole process over again. I've seen one guy do it 3 times in 10 years. They just cannot do things honestly. There are many, many, many people like that selling sports cards.

Scott F

Members online

Latest posts