Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

March NC

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
I just came back from the convivence store, a house on the next street from me still has a Christmas tree set up with lights in their living room. :LOL:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I was going to start tonight but there's a current problem on the site where I can't highlight, bolden, or change font which I'd like to do for these. :(

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
ebbbd6261a14bf06c06ee122099e3ae9301ae304fc3d19adacb83816a4959775_1.jpg

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I took one day off from being Porcello's biggest paid shill and a guy took my spot! I'm not mad though, his shilling was first rate. The chart of "Porcello vs your teams best guy" is great! A+!!

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
That's the kind of article that makes me hate modern baseball analytics. Let's see - quoting stats directly from the article....

Porcello had the fourth lowest swinging strike rate of any pitcher with more than 40 innings, at 6.4%. And his CSW% was the third lowest in baseball, meaning he generated fewer swings and misses or called strikes than almost anyone else. So...he's not fooling anyone. Batters see his pitches well and they put the ball in play against him.

Porcello had the highest BABIP of any pitcher with more than 40 innings, at 0.373. So not only do batters see his pitches very well and put them in play...but those balls find holes. This is not bad luck. This is because MLB hitters see his pitches very well and put them in play exactly where they want to. What's more, his line drive percentage was 27.1%, meaning that batters see his pitches very well and put them in play where they want to....and they do it HARD.

This is an advanced metrics article, where the advanced metrics show that batters are crushing this guy. Meanwhile the author is arguing on his behalf, with lines like "What Porcello has to do is make sure batters aren’t happy with the contact they make against him." And this gem: "Want to keep your opponents from getting hits on balls in play? Don’t let them hit line drives." Well that's some good ol' Earl Weaver type managing right there. Want to be a better pitcher? Don't let guys crush your shit! Thank you doctor.

And ultimately that's the point of the article. Basically, Porcello could be better, if only he somehow got better. Well that could be said of every marginal pitcher in MLB! But here we have a guy who, in his last 233 innings pitched, has a ~5.5 ERA because batters are mashing his pitches. And he is coming off an average salary of $15M the past two years.

There is no mystery why he isn't generating a lot of interest.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
"Want to keep your opponents from getting hits on balls in play? Don’t let them hit line drives." Well that's some good ol' Earl Weaver type managing right there. Want to be a better pitcher? Don't let guys crush your shit! Thank you doctor.

This gave me the answer to where he will sign... The Astros!! why? simply because Dusty Baker is the manager. Worse than Earl Weaver is Baker's famous advice to his hitters "don't clog the bases!" :censored:

Well if that's true for his hitters, then you'd imagine he is searching for the inverse for his pitching staff. . . .aka guys with highass line drive rates and a sprinkle of walks.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
For those who haven't heard the story, upon hearing Baker say something that stupid I immediately sent for his autograph. :LOL: I knew there would be a day his auto would skyrocket in value (from the price of a postage stamp to 3)

That day came when he appeared on American Dad in a classic episode where Dusty is revealed as a fraud.

1GMG3W_c9onLe4lJUTELaN05BX_PnZLvah_QUHi1F_o.jpg

Latest posts