Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's 2nd Annual Baseball's Back Contest - WINNER ANNOUNCED - dano7 wins his 2nd in a row!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE MAKING YOUR SELECTION. YOUR ABILITY TO WIN MAY BE DEPENDENT ON YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

The Contest:
I ran this same contest for many years on a different site years ago, hence the "First* Annual" crack last year. I stopped doing it one year when I was busy and never revived it...until now almost a decade later! I decided to move it to this site, as I am not as active elsewhere these days.

Each member will select ONE player who will represent their guess in one of 6 pre-selected statistical categories. If that player leads all of MLB (not just their league) in that statistical category at the end of the regular 2022 season, that member wins the contest. In the event of a tie (2 or more picks lead MLB in their respective categories), the winner is the person who chose their pick first as noted by the thread post time stamp. In the past, I have ended the contest at the all-star break, but this has often lead to a lot of ties because of the short time span. This year, it will run a full season.

The Small Print (Rules): Each member has the opportunity to select any 1 player and match that player to 1 of 6 pre-selected statistical categories. You are not picking a player for each category. The selection must be posted in this thread and CAN NOT be edited. Any editing disqualifies you from the contest. I ask that you format your answer like I have shown below for ease, listing the player name along with (Stat Category). In the case of any possible mistaken identity between players, I would suggest adding a middle initial or a team to distinguish between players (Pedro A Martinez vs Pedro J Martinez for example). I am not sure there are any players with same names playing these days, but in the past it has happened. If I am unsure of who you picked, you may be disqualified.

As noted above, the earlier you pick, the better yours odds may be, simply because you'll have more players and stat categories to choose from and ties go to the earlier selection. I don't think this is a factor here, but members must also be in good standing. Should a member be banned or disciplined, they are automatically disqualified from participating in and/or winning the contest.

Important...contest closes exactly one week from this post. Any entries logged after the time stamp on this post, 7 days from now (Tuesday, April 12) will not count.

The Categories:
3 different for hitters, 3 for pitchers.

Home Runs (HR)
Hits (H)
Runs Batted In (RBI)

Wins (W)
Strikeouts (K)
Saves (S)

So, for example. Let's say you think Mookie Betts will lead the majors in HITs in 2022, you will make your selection like this:

Mookie Betts (H)

Bonus opportunity: To make it a little more interesting, I have added the bonus pick again this year. This is entirely voluntary, but if you would like to take a stab at guessing the exact number the player will end up with in your chosen category, you may do so. For example, using the Betts entry earlier, the member might select Mookie Betts (H) and then say 196.

Mookie Betts (H) - 196

The bonus prize would essentially only be for the contest winner. IF the winner of the contest selects a bonus answer and guesses exactly, then they will also win a bonus prize in addition to the regular contest prize. The odds of this are against you, so I will try to make sure the bonus prize is worthy of the odds.

I do reserve the right to modify the bonus picks category as I see fit beyond the contest winner. What I mean by that is if someone happens to select a player, stat category and total and they are correct, even if that player did not lead their league or MLB, I may still offer some consolation prizes. For example, if someones pick was Kershaw to lead the majors with 19 Wins and that turns out to be is his W total but he did not even lead the league, that person is not the contest winner but may actually receive a consolation prize (at my discretion).

The Prize: As with most of my contests, the prize(s) will consist of items that I pull from within my collection of 40+ years. I always do my best to tailor a prize to the specific collecting interest of winners, but this is not always easy to do. As some of you may have noticed, I have a somewhat narrow personal collecting focus. I have not really bought new cards in packs since the late 90s/early 00s. I have a lot of older, oddball stuff though. It's not all baseball either. The "bad" news is that the winners are probably not going to see things like current prospects, recent superstar players (Trout, Acuna, Tatis, etc) or anything that is considered "hot" in the current market. I really can't guarantee that I'll even have anything to offer that will be a welcome PC addition to many people, but if you are open to the fun of a random prize package that you can either keep or trade/sell, then this is a contest for you. It's less about the prize and more about the participation and fun, at least in my eyes, but I will do my best to give you a prize that you will appreciate.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
banjar - Trea Turner (H) -190
thelesquad - Vladimir Guerrero Jr (HR) - 48
dano7 - Aaron Judge (HR) - 51
Letch77 - Walker Buehler (W) - 21
Dazed - Bo Bichette (H) - 202
WizardofOz1982 - Gerritt Cole (K) - 246
MrMet2.0 - francisco Lindor (RBI) - 112

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Aaron Judge (HR) - 51
Sticking with the Yanks, of course. Our reigning champions pick last year wasn't quite there, but got him over the line and into the winners circle. Let's see how Judge treats you this year. good luck to you, and everyone else!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Contest closed with only 7 entries. Sadly, this may be my worst showing ever for a contest, but then again I only thought about it and gave everyone a week to enter. Better odds to the Magnificent 7! Good luck to all.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No better time to bump this for a review than AS break. This used to be when the contest ended back in the day. This may be my last try for this thing due to the poor reception, but I did also only give everyone a week or so to enter. Maybe I can come up with a shorter, more creative contest next time.

The guesses:

banjar - Trea Turner (H) -190. 3rd with 111
thelesquad - Vladimir Guerrero Jr (HR) - 48. 14th (T) with 20
dano7 - Aaron Judge (HR) - 51. 1st with 33
Letch77 - Walker Buehler (W) - 21. 44th (T) with 6
Dazed - Bo Bichette (H) - 202. 9th (T) with 99
WizardofOz1982 - Gerritt Cole (K) - 246. 2nd (T) with 147
MrMet2.0 - Francisco Lindor (RBI) - 112. 6th with 66

The Leaders so far:

H - Freeman (114)
HR - Judge (33) dano7
RBI - Alonso (78)
W - Verlander (12)
K - Cease (150)
S - Hader (27) - Nobody guessed saves, but we';'ll still track it

dano7 is the only contestant who's pick is currently a MLB stat leader and he is on pace to be a back to back winner, but anything can still happen. We have 4 more top 10 qualifiers at the moment and Cole is looking to be key in the decision, as he was last year, if things stay on track. Turner and Lindor are close too and anyone can get on a hot streak (or a cold one). This may get exciting...

Members online