Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's First* Annual Baseball's Back Contest - No true winner, but dano7 & aanewport are WINNERS of consolation prizes!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
For whatever reason, this site does not seem to have the interest or the traffic to support creative contests. I am going to give it a shot though and see if we can make this one work. Looking for maximum participation here and it takes very little from you. Unfortunately, I waited a little long and the sign up window is very short, so you won't have much time to think about your answer. HOWEVER, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ THE ENTIRE THREAD BEFORE MAKING YOUR SELECTION. YOUR ABILITY TO WIN MAY BE DEPENDENT ON YOUR ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

The Contest:
I ran this same contest for many years on a different site years ago, hence the "First* Annual" crack. I stopped doing it one year when I was busy and never revived it...until now almost a decade later! I decided to move it to this site, as I am not as active elsewhere these days.

Each member will select ONE player who will represent their guess in one of 6 pre-selected statistical categories. If that player leads all of MLB (not just their league) in that statistical category at the end of the regular 2021 season, that member wins the contest. In the event of a tie (2 or more picks lead MLB in their respective categories), the winner is the person who chose their pick first as noted by the thread post time stamp. In the past, I have ended the contest at the all-star break, but this has often lead to a lot of ties because of the short time span. This year, it will run a full season.

The Small Print (Rules): Each member has the opportunity to select any 1 player and match that player to 1 of 6 pre-selected statistical categories. You are not picking a player for each category. The selection must be posted in this thread and CAN NOT be edited. Any editing disqualifies you from the contest. I ask that you format your answer like I have shown below for ease, listing the player name along with (Stat Category). In the case of any possible mistaken identity between players, I would suggest adding a middle initial or a team to distinguish between players (Pedro A Martinez vs Pedro J Martinez for example). I am not sure there are any players with same names playing these days, but in the past it has happened. If I am unsure of who you picked, you may be disqualified.

As noted above, the earlier you pick, the better yours odds may be, simply because you'll have more players and stat categories to choose from and ties go to the earlier selection. I don't think this is a factor here, but members must also be in good standing. Should a member be banned or disciplined, they are automatically disqualified from participating in and/or winning the contest.

Important...contest closes at first pitch of the opening game of the season. ALL ENTRIES NEED TO BE RECEIVED IN THIS THREAD BEFORE FIRST PITCH OF THE INITIAL OPENING DAY MLB BASEBALL GAME. As far as I can tell, that is Thursday April 1 at 1:05 PM EST with the Yankees and Blue Jays.

The Categories: 3 different for hitters, 3 for pitchers.

Home Runs (HR)
Hits (H)
Runs Batted In (RBI)

Wins (W)
Strikeouts (K)
Saves (S)

So, for example. Let's say you think Mike Trout will lead the majors in RBIs in 2021, you will make your selection like this:

Mike Trout (RBI)

Bonus opportunity: Since I have never run this contest for a full season before, the stat totals were often very close together. Usually there were several players with the same totals. A tie breaker based on the earliest pick was often required. At full season end, this is much less likely. To make it a little more interesting, I have added a bonus pick this year. This is entirely voluntary, but if you would like to take a stab at guessing the exact number the player will end up with in your chosen category, you may do so. For example, using the Trout entry earlier, the member might select Mike Trout (RBI) and then say 133.

Mike Trout (RBI) - 133

The bonus prize would essentially only be for the contest winner. IF the winner of the contest selects a bonus answer and guesses exactly, then they will also win a bonus prize in addition to the regular contest prize. The odds of this are against you, so I will try to make sure the bonus prize is worthy of the odds.

I do reserve the right to modify the bonus picks category as I see fit beyond the contest winner. What I mean by that is if someone happens to select a player, stat category and total and they are correct, even if that player did not lead their league or MLB, I may still offer some consolation prizes. For example, if someones pick was Kershaw to lead the majors with 19 Wins and that turns out to be is his W total but he did not even lead the league, that person is not the contest winner but may actually receive a consolation prize (at my discretion).

The Prize: As with most of my contests, the prize(s) will consist of items that I pull from within my collection of 40+ years. I always do my best to tailor a prize to the specific collecting interest of winners, but this is not always easy to do. As some of you may have noticed, I have a somewhat narrow personal collecting focus. I have not really bought new cards in packs since the late 90s/early 00s. I have a lot of older, oddball stuff though. It's not all baseball either. The "bad" news is that the winners are probably not going to see things like current prospects, recent superstar players (Trout, Acuna, Tatis, etc) or anything that is considered "hot" in the current market. I really can't guarantee that I'll even have anything to offer that will be a welcome PC addition to many people, but if you are open to the fun of a random prize package that you can either keep or trade/sell, then this is a contest for you. It's less about the prize and more about the participation and fun, at least in my eyes, but I will do my best to give you a prize that you will appreciate.

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
CONTEST LOCKED TO NEW ENTRIES & GOOD LUCK TO ALL 15 WHO TOOK THE TIME TO PLAY!

PLAY BALL!

Hits (H)

Freeman (209) - Letch77
LeMahieu (204) - bstanwood
NcNeil (210) - MrMet
Merrifield (213) - gamecockfanatic

Home Runs (HR)
Acuna (47) - chippernate
Ozuna (44) - Randy Shields
Trout (48) - Austin

Runs Batter In (RBI)
Abreu, J (138) - Dazed
Arenado (130) - banjar

Wins (W)
Bauer (21) -JVHaste
Bieber (19) - thelesquad
Cole (20) - dano7

Strikeouts (K)
Cole (297) - WizardofOz1982

Saves (S)
Hand (31) - popguynyc
Hendricks(36) - aanewport

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I always loved seeing the guesses too. Good luck to all and hopefully we'll have a full season w/o any unnecessary or unforeseen disruptions.

Randy Shields

Aug 20, 2008
OH-IO
Ok I'll give it a shot. It'll be a long contest but it should be fun to keep track of. Thanks!

Marcell Ozuna (HR) - 44

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Thank you for all the entries. I gotta say it is very disappointing that more people don't play. It's not a lot of effort and you might even win a fun prize. The former hosting site of this contest, a shadow of it's former self, manages to bring in high double-digit entries for contests usually despite weak forum participation. I guess that is just a stronger site for trading and contests.

Anyway, my small complaining session is over. Good luck to all that entered. Given that this is not a definite winner contest, if after a long season, none of you picked a MLB stat leader, I will most likely think up a way to award at least 1, if not more, prices. Would hate to see only 3 people enter the next one because of that reason!

Special mention goes to new member @spurstuff, who clearly did not read the rules and was rightly disqualified. Mayne next time... and @Dazed, you did just fine with your guess following that one.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts