Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Had a few uneventful days, went a few days w/o time to post, so this is almost a weeks worth to catch up on.

I've had better weeks!

Ishii. Ishii.jpg

Bunning /35. Would be epic to see a Dodger certified! Holding out hope.... Bunning 35.jpg

Another quad Dodgers GU card, this one /100. These were never easy, even when they were new. maybe lots hiding in collections or still in unopened product? Quad Dodgers.jpg

Always appreciate a clean Twinkee card...I think this might even be an upgrade for me! Garv Ywinkie.jpg

Bob Pettit. Pettit.jpg

Finally, unlike the recent Largent from the same set, this card is hand numbered on back. Griese. Not sure if anyone else is in the set. I like the very old school autograph issues better than the new, fancy, shiny, low numbered issues of today.Griese.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A good follow up to yesterday, with the 1990 Bowman Shot Heard certified auto. I originally disliked no images, but the stadium shot is historic in itself. I had one already, so this is a dupe. Ralph Branca and Bobby Thomson. Shot Heard.jpg

Next is another Archives. I especially like the 1961 version. It was a great, simple, clean set that was perfect for autographs. This one is /40. Dusty Baker, who I expect may eventually be a Hall of Famer via his managerial career. Baker 40.jpg

Last is an old school certified FB autograph. Would like the Magic version and I think there is one with both sigs that would be even better, but got priced out of those unless a miracle deal falls into my lap. Jim Jelly. Kelly.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Loduca, because I liked the design and didn't have it already. Loduca.png

Baker Archives blue /25. Baker 25.jpg. Got same set Luzinski blue from same seller, but he doesn't fit my narrative.

Mike Kekich Mariner PC. A guy who fits my collecting interest perfectly. Started as a Dodger, but ended his career in Seattle. Other crossovers like Jim Lefrbvre, John Hale, Tom Paciorek, Kevin Pasley & Joe Simpson are a few off the top of my head. i'm sure I missed a few more. Kekich.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I was not originally planning to post this, but I decided to share yet another unique card that most people pass by with little interest at all.

I have said it many times, I love the uniqueness of collecting cards. The oddball stuff that not everyone has. Who needs a 5K box of 1987 Topps Ruben Sierra cards?

Anyway, this is not quite as cool as some of the redemption cards manufacturers USED TO use, with player images. s-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgThat is a huge miss if you ask me that they went to these stupid pack filler cards with stickers on them! these suck. s-l1600-2.jpg

What I got today was a Score Board redemption that lands somewhere in the middle. It's not showing a specific player, but rather some memorabilia you might win. On the back, it shows you what you won if you pulled the card. In this case, a nice Clyde Drexler autographed Basketball. that would have been a nice pull. s-l1600.jpgs-l1600-1.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
I was not originally planning to post this, but I decided to share yet another unique card that most people pass by with little interest at all.

I have said it many times, I love the uniqueness of collecting cards. The oddball stuff that not everyone has. Who needs a 5K box of 1987 Topps Ruben Sierra cards?

Anyway, this is not quite as cool as some of the redemption cards manufacturers USED TO use, with player images. View attachment 338792View attachment 338794View attachment 338793That is a huge miss if you ask me that they went to these stupid pack filler cards with stickers on them! these suck. View attachment 338791

What I got today was a Score Board redemption that lands somewhere in the middle. It's not showing a specific player, but rather some memorabilia you might win. On the back, it shows you what you won if you pulled the card. In this case, a nice Clyde Drexler autographed Basketball. that would have been a nice pull. View attachment 338795View attachment 338796

You don't happen to the have 1998 Donruss Significant Signatures Redemptions for Ozzie Smith and Nolan Ryan do you?

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Why do I do this to myself. I bid on, with the expectation of not winning, dupes and sometimes end up winning them. These are not cheap. I won't complain too loudly, perhaps I can trade one for another version of this card later, probably not though. /10. Garvey 10.jpg

Nixon doesn't have many certified cards, this may be one of the only ones. He has some weird, never issued 1996 Leaf card that surfaces sometimes for stupid prices. Thought I would grab it, despite it not being a Dodger card. Still a nice horizontal shot. Nixon Archives.jpg

Lat item is a cool, older style business card signed by George Case. I really like the concept of signed business cards, especially older ones for the M's. Wish more folks would have thought of it at the time. Case was a 4X AS in the just over decade he played from 1937-47. Most of his time was with the Senators, aside from 1946 spent with the Indians, only to return the following season to Washington to end his career after 36 games. He was quite the speedster at the time, leading the league in SB 6 times, including 5 consecutive. His SABR bio said he scouted for several teams, including the Mariners from 1974-79 and was a minor League batting coach for the M's from 1980-85. The Mariners trident logo was used from 1977 until 1980. Guessing this card was from 1980. He died at age 73 in 1989.

Case.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I would have had another card to share, but some too busy for his own good ebay seller switched cards on me...again. Last time he told me the buyer wouldn't send back my card. it seemed like a brush off. Let's see if he does the same this time. I'll either share the card when it comes or blast this guy if I get the same story.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one today, this Signature Rookies Gold Standard Redemption for a Walt Frazier auto card. Love these expired redemption cards.

Frazier Redemption.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Big day, maybe not as much for baseball and the Dodgers, but still a nice haul.

Garvey /10. s-l1600.jpg

Cey 2004 Timeless teams 1974. Not numbered, but accepted SP print run of 25 for this card. Cey TT.jpg

A cool Russell Martin Auto. Martin Russell.jpg

Then, it's been a while for a vintage purchase, but found this Jake Daubert 1914 B18 blanket for a nice price. Daubert was one of the early Dodger stars. 1914 B18.jpg

A trio of UD Ensemble multiple auto cards. nobody spectacular, but like the set and a bunch listed at once, so I scrounged the cheapest ones available. Definitely some Dodger connections, but nobody actually pictures as a Dodger here. Ensemble Crawford.jpgEnsemble Harden.jpgEnsemble Liriano.jpg

I'll split it here and feature the basketball on the next post...

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
5 more Gold standard autos, including a couple dupes. Barry.jpgCowens.jpgFrazier.jpgHayes 2.jpgHayes.jpg

Topping it off with an unintentional duplicate. Benn trying to snag this one for a while, then he died and i figured I'd never get one at a decent price. Then I win 2 from the same seller for the same price! Not the best background to see a bold signature, but still a great card that is signed.

Baylor 1.jpgBaylor 2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A monster mail day, primarily because my COMC shipment arrived (The one I paid $21+ for s/h)!!! At least it showed a day after it was shipped, so there is that.

I won't show everything I got at COMC, mainly because It's a lot of non-Dodger stuff. However, I have highlighted the "key" pieces, such as new Dodger autographs I have counted, but not shared yet.

Here are the 2 non-COMC cards,

Andre Jackson /199. Liked the retro 88 design and the pink coloring. Jackson.jpg

then another for my recently expanding Carew collection. I'll never go all out, just too costly, but I like grabbing special items here and there that catch my attention. Heritage Reds are one such item. Like any graded card I end up with, I didn't buy it because it was graded, only that the price I paid was what I would have paid for a raw copy that just happens to be graded.Carew Red Heritage.jpg

The rest were COMC and I'll have to split it up.

The new additions first. Reyes Moronta. Reyes-Moronta.jpg. Tyler Anderson (several, but this one is my favorite, love this design). Tyler-Anderson.jpg. Tommy Kahnle. Tommy-Kahnle.jpg. Michael Grove. Michael-Grove.jpg. currently sitting at 5 LA Dodger needs for the all-time roster. Yency Almonte, Mookie Betts, Justin Bruihl, Robbie Erlin & Darien Nunez. Let me know if you have any cheap deals on any of those guys (except Betts, I know...).

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Some old friends that I had already, but new cards...

Buehler /30. Walker-Buehler.jpg

Kendrick /39. KenDrick COMC.jpg

Furillo. Furillo COMC.jpg

Hatcher. Mickey-Hatcher 180.jpg

Hundley /50. Todd-Hundley.jpg

Andrew Heaney (New Dodger, but already had him when they picked him up before, for a day!).

December 11, 2014: Traded by the Miami Marlins with Austin Barnes, Chris Hatcher and Enrique Hernandez to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Dee Strange-Gordon, Dan Haren, Miguel Rojas and cash.

December 11, 2014: Traded by the Los Angeles Dodgers to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for Howie Kendrick. I think this one was /25, but forgot to check. Andrew-Heaney.jpg

Finally, Al Oliver making yet another appearance. You know what almost nobody ever says, "You can never have enough Al Oliver autographed cards". Had the red, just needed the base and ebay was giving me fits, so I landed one on COMC.Al-Oliver.jpg

If I was less lazy, I'd share some other goodies that only I really care much about, but too time consuming scan by scan.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Missed one from COMC that I wanted to share as I was looking through the cards...Hanley Ramirez mini. Hanley-Ramirez.jpg

And decided to share the rest of the COMC shipment, because why not?

A lot of the random stuff were cheap ebay wins, thinking I'd get combined s/h. Little did I know I was tacking on $0.25 to $1.00 per card anyway! Won't make that mistake again, but in the end, i'm sure I would have paid the extra for the card itself, so won't beat myself up too much.

IMG_0151.jpgIMG_0149.jpgIMG_0150.jpgIMG_0152.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Last update for the long weekend. No more mail until Tuesday, 5/31.

Luis Rodriguez - I feel like I should have just waited, but still fought like hell to finally overpay for this. I was hoping to get any card in my normal $10 range, but I kept getting beat out. I finally upped my limit a bit and unfortunately, this one was one of the "new normal" $5 s/h sellers, so this stupid thing cost me about $22. It'll probably be a $3 auto in 6 months and he hasn't even made the team. This is a very real reason for current collectors to be frustrated with the market right now. His Bowman is selling for stupid money, just like EVERY SINGLE PROSPECT. They won't all be hits, why are people so willing to fork out $100s for these guys before there is any action? It's rhetorical I know, because every 93rd guy is going to be the next rookie of the year or all-star, but my god it is stupid watching this unfold. Jose Ramos is the latest. His Bowmans are selling for $50-100+

Rodriguez.jpg

This is a fun one that gets mention because it's a player sample. Don't see enough of these. I wonder how many were gifted to players who never signed or shared a single one to anyone?

Red Schoendienst.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I didn't grab the scan and it doesn't comply with the normal theme of my pick-ups, but did add a 1971 Heritage Blyleven Red au/71.

Starting out with a nice Sutton/25. Sutton 25.jpg

A Clearly Garvey /75. These have been hard to buy at a reasonable price due to some sort of weird run on new Garvey autos in the last year or so. It continues into Tribute and Gypsy. I just don't get it. Are there that many new collectors who fight each other to overpay for Garvey now? Thankfully I ripped the bandaid off already and don't feel the insatiable need to have all of them anymore. I am disappointed that I am missing more than I add recently, because there have been some decent cards being released.Garvey 75.jpg

I wasn't going to buy this, as there is nothing to be gained in this lot. I have it all, but I still think maybe someday I will make some custom cut cards. Never a bad idea to have a supply of 3x5 autos for that purpose. 69 autographs (found 1 non-Dodger slipped in there), about 1/3 deceased and a nice vintage Garvey, not that I need anymore of those. Even with s/h and tax, I was not over $1 per. Nothing earthshaking, but a very solid lot. 3x5-2.jpg3x5-1.jpg3x5-3.jpg3x5-4.jpg3x5-5.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Frankly, these are starting to bore me, as I have it and probably a few dupes as well. I just need to stop bidding on cards I already have. It was cheap though and is /25, so I am OK with it. Surprised I was not outbid though, given when other Garveys are selling for, but I guess it's only the newest stuff. Garvey 25.jpg

Finally got a cheap Ramos. Off brand, but in to it for the auto, not the card itself per se. Ramos.jpg

Maeda Topps now /25. Maeda.jpg

I will grab these when they are somewhat cheap. They usually go for at least what the metal price is, of course. This went a bit higher, as 1 gram of platinum is $33.04 right now I can always hope platinum pricing increases. Ruth Platinum.jpgRuth Platinum B.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts