Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got busy yesterday after mail arrival and never posted the mail day results. I expect a few more anytime now, so I will do a Saturday mail day later.

Garvey 8x10. Nice pose, horizontal shot, which is unusual for Garvey. I think that might be Doug Harvey lurking in the background, but not sure.Garvey 8x10.jpg

Jeff Kent. If you just look at second basemen, Kent has a good argument for a HOF career (2461 H, 377 HRs, 1518 RBIs and .290). He definitely hit for more power than most middle infielders. Who knows, maybe some day. He was a 1X NL MVP (2000), 5X AS & 4X SS. He moved around a bit and played for 6 different teams in his 17 year career., including the Blue Jays, Mets, Indians, Astros, Giants & Dodgers.

His rookie year was with Toronto in 1992, the year they won the World Series, but he didn't appear in the post season because the Jays traded him to the Mets in August for David Cone. it would not be until 2002 with the Giants that he would play in his one and only World Series. He hit .276 with 3 HRs and 7 RBIs, but the Giants lost to the Angels in 7. He came to LA in 2005 via free agency and his first season he was an AS at age 37. He would produce 3 more solid years before retiring at 40 in 2008. Kent.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Saw this for around $3, and I don't think any of my earlier autos were actual dodger cards. COMC buy. Kody Hoese. Kody-Hoese.jpg

Added a Dee Gordon to the days haul as well. that should do it for today. Dee is the son of former MLB pitcher, Tom Gordon. He started his career in LA in 2011 and after 3 years, had his breakout year in 2014. He was an AS and lead the league in triples and stolen bases. The Dodgers rewarded him with a trade to Miami along with Miguel Rojas and Dan Haren for Auston Barnes, Chris Hatcher, Andrew Heany and Enrique Hernandez. Heany was then traded to the Angels for Howie Kendrick. Hatcher spent 2.5 years in LA before moving on, but Hernandez and Barnes are still in LA today. Gordon, went on to have a much better year in Miami. A 2nd time AS, but also a SS and GG, plus he lead the league in hits (205), stolen bases and won a batting crown with a .333! Miami got another 200+ hit season out of him in 2017 before he was traded to Seattle, where he remains today. At 32, his best years are probably behind him, but when he plays, he can hit and is fast. Dee-Gordon.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I totally forgot to count the 2020 Archives Grudzelanek I got here. It arrived Friday or Saturday. Thanks jszczech for the sale and the extra Dodger base cards!

Image stolen from ebay. s-l500.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
I always really liked Grudzielanek. I bought into his rookie hype when he was with the Expos, though. So that probably plays a factor.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
He had some Leaf certified autos in the 90s, but best I can tell, this is his first Dodger auto. I am thankful for that and exactly why I love this set year after year. Sadly, this is the worst year overall for content that appeals to me specifically though. I am nibbling my way through the cards I want. I think I am at a baker's dozen so far. I'll buy them if they are cheap enough, even if they are not really a "must have". I still want a couple dozen more, but many will have to wait until the initial feeding frenzy dies down.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The topper for today is the 2020 Archives Dual with Max Muncy and Will Smith. These are numbered to 150. I have seen blue versions numbered to 25 as well. I suspect there is probably a 1/1 too. Muncy Smith.jpg

Also got the Grudlezanek silver today. Purple is coming, but have only seen one blue so far and no gold yet. Grud Silver.jpg

Davey Johnson. Johnson.jpg

Then I got a small selection of cheap certified cards from a single seller at around $1 or less (a couple were free). None of them ever played for the Dodgers, let alone in MLB at all, but all had certified Dodger cards. This is a pitfall of prospecting these days.

Blake Johnson, another Dodger card regular who never made the bigs. He played 2004-2013, with the Dodgers sandwiched around a couple years with Colorado and KC. Blake-Johnson.jpg

Andrew Lambo. He never made the Dodgers, but did play a handful of games across a few years for Pittsburgh & Oakland (2013-16). Lambo.jpg

Leon Landry. Landry never made the bigs and appears to have last played AA for Cincy in 2017. Landry.jpg

Orlando Rodriguez spent 5 years with the organization, but never broke into the bigs. Rodriguez.jpg

Blake Smith never played for the Dodgers and got a 5 game cup of coffee with the White Sox in 2016. He was traded by the Dodgers for Erik Surkamp. Although Surkamp's career was slightly longer, he only got into 1 game for the Dodgers in 2015 before leaving via free agency. Smith.jpg

Brandon Twinkton also never cracked the bigs. His final year was 2016 in A+. Trinkwon.jpg

Connor Wong is now with the Red Sox. If I recall, he was part of the Mookie Betts deal. He has yet to make his MLB debut, so another Dodger certified card with no time for the team. Wong.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I also received a few non-certified Dodgers as well, and with the 10 scan limit, need a 2nd post to wrap up the mail day.

Mike Bolsinger was a 267 game Dodger vet between 2015-16. The Dodgers bought him from Arizona, then traded him away for Jesse Chavez. Bolsinger.jpg

Marquis Grissom had a decent career, but didn't do much for the Dodgers in 2001-02. The Brewers had traded him to the Dodgers with Ruddy Lugo for Devon White. Prior to that, he had been a 2X AS, 4X Gold Glover and the ALCS MVP in 1997 with Cleveland. Grissom.jpg

Charles Johnson was part of the deal that sent Mike Piazza to the Marlins. Johnson, Manuel Barrios, Jim Eisenriech, Bobby Bonilla and Gary Sheffield came to LA and Piazza and Todd Zeile went to FLA. Later that year, the Dodgers shipped him and Roger Cedeno to the Mets for Todd hundley and a minor leaguer. Johnson hit .217 is 102 games for the blue. C Johnson.jpg

Brian Jordan was a two sport star, also playing in the NFL (89-91) before turning to a baseball career than was not too bad (92-06). Nobody really seemed to be able to do this for a prolonged time frame and/or star in both sports, but still an amazing achievement to be pro material in two sports. His time with LA was 2002-03 and he gave them one solid year of play. Like Johnson before, he was also part of a deal that involved Gary Sheffield, when the Braves sent Jordan, Odalis Peres and Andrew Brown to the Dodgers for Sheffield. Jordan.jpg

Bobby Valentine had a 10 year career in baseball as a player, before turning to management where he put in another 16 years of service. Valentine.jpg

Zoilo Versalles played for the dodgers in 1968. I am pretty sure I featured him before and it might have even been another PC. He didn't have much issued as a Dodger in his career. Versalles.jpg

I couldn't pass this up and frankly, don't even know if these people even worked for the Dodgers, but this is a Dodger Xmas card. Probably some office staffers that nobody would ever know unless they were personal acquaintances. I have not bothered to check and see if I could ID anyone from staff lists. Still kind of cool. I used to get these from the Mariners for work, as we installed and took care of the elevators at Safeco Field while I worked there. Definitely not super limited, but also not mass produced either. Xmas Card.jpg

Final item is another Archives Al Oliver, this time 82 Topps Traded /22. Still hoping my lost in transit 76T shows and would like to find a 1970T and a 1985T Traded version, if either exist.Oliver 22.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Almost forgot this guy, a purple Archives Jose Offerman. Offerman started and played his 1st 6 years in LA, earning an AS spot in 1995. The Dodgers would trade him to KC for billy Brewer, where he would go on to post better numbers in his career and eventually earn a 2nd AS spot in Boston, 1999.Offerman Purple.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today may have brought one of the better mailday items ever, or it might be a mild disappointment. I am not 100% sure either way, but it was worth the risk. More on that at the end...

Starting out with a trio of non-certified Dodger singles.

Dave Hansen. Hansen.jpg

Jose Morales. Morales.jpg

I love this card and try to buy every signed copy that I see listed, when the price is right. Any or all signatures fit the Dodger collection. This particular copy is signed by Tommy Dean and John Miller. Dean Miller.jpg

Following that up, a trio of non-certified Non-Dodger singles.

Tim Harkness. Harkness came to the Dodgers when they were still in Brooklyn, but didn't make the team until 1961 in LA. He came over with Ron Negray and Elmer Valo in 1957 from the Phillies. After 95 games played in 1962, the Dodgers sent him to the Mets with Larry Burright for Bob Miller. He is one of the few guys I have actually mailed a TTM request to, and the only Canadian ever. Harkness.jpg

Dennis Powell. Powell was traded to the Mariners with a minor leaguer for Matt Young. I feel like I did a small bit on him already, but it seems that way for everyone now. Powell.jpg

Gary Wayne played his last MLB games in LA. He was 1-3 in 1994 across 18 games, ending a rather forgettable 6 year career at 14-14. Wayne.jpg

OK, here is the big news. I saw this lot on ebay and snatched it up as fast as I could. It was a BIN and was surprisingly cheap, and that alone made me question the key player. I have seen signatures from 3 of the others and they look spot on to me. The 4th, Brennaman, was unfamiliar to me. Apparently he just made a big splash just a week or two ago. Combined that these were grouped together, generally off condition and the scarcity of the Old Style PCs, I think this person may have just underpriced the lot.

The key to the lot is the Greg Maddux. However, not only is it a potential HOF autograph, but what looks to be an early career version on a card that is not easy to find. Because this was so cheap, I was not afraid to take the chance in hopes of a big win, but still be OK with it if it turns out the Maddux is a likely dud. If anyone has an opinion, feel free to share, good or bad. I am happy with the lot, if even just to get the card itself. Maddux.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Today may have brought one of the better mailday items ever, or it might be a mild disappointment. I am not 100% sure either way, but it was worth the risk. More on that at the end...

Starting out with a trio of non-certified Dodger singles.

Dave Hansen. View attachment 115988

Jose Morales. View attachment 115989

I love this card and try to buy every signed copy that I see listed, when the price is right. Any or all signatures fit the Dodger collection. This particular copy is signed by Tommy Dean and John Miller. View attachment 115990

Following that up, a trio of non-certified Non-Dodger singles.

Tim Harkness. Harkness came to the Dodgers when they were still in Brooklyn, but didn't make the team until 1961 in LA. He came over with Ron Negray and Elmer Valo in 1957 from the Phillies. After 95 games played in 1962, the Dodgers sent him to the Mets with Larry Burright for Bob Miller. He is one of the few guys I have actually mailed a TTM request to, and the only Canadian ever. View attachment 115993

Dennis Powell. Powell was traded to the Mariners with a minor leaguer for Matt Young. I feel like I did a small bit on him already, but it seems that way for everyone now. View attachment 115994

Gary Wayne played his last MLB games in LA. He was 1-3 in 1994 across 18 games, ending a rather forgettable 6 year career at 14-14. View attachment 115995

OK, here is the big news. I saw this lot on ebay and snatched it up as fast as I could. It was a BIN and was surprisingly cheap, and that alone made me question the key player. I have seen signatures from 3 of the others and they look spot on to me. The 4th, Brennaman, was unfamiliar to me. Apparently he just made a big splash just a week or two ago. Combined that these were grouped together, generally off condition and the scarcity of the Old Style PCs, I think this person may have just underpriced the lot.

The key to the lot is the Greg Maddux. However, not only is it a potential HOF autograph, but what looks to be an early career version on a card that is not easy to find. Because this was so cheap, I was not afraid to take the chance in hopes of a big win, but still be OK with it if it turns out the Maddux is a likely dud. If anyone has an opinion, feel free to share, good or bad. I am happy with the lot, if even just to get the card itself. View attachment 115996
Nice additions, as always! Especially like the 1969 Rookie Stars card!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Interesting mail day with 3 2020 Archives, all guys with the last name starting with Gr!

Shawn Green /99. Green.jpg

Jerry Grote /99. Grote.jpg

Mark Grudzelanek /199. Grud purple.jpg

Then I got this cool piece. I snagged a Canadian HOF card of Billy Harris, signed, a few years back. This is a nice complement, plus bonus sigs from recently deceased Tony Fernandez and some other guy who was important to Canadian baseball that I had never heard of. The last guy was honored posthumously, so no auto possible.

Harris.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
POST I of II

Normally, non-Dodger cards do not get top billing, but I was afraid this card was lost in the mail. After over a month from Canada, this card finally showed up today. in fact, I paid 7/26 and I believe it was shipped same or next day after.

Al Oliver Archives /14. I do collect Oliver, but this card has always stoof out as a great shot and a favorite of mine. The 76 set is loaded with memorable images for me and in fact, I could not win the 76 buyback Sanguillen of the same issue from a few years back as many times as I tried, another image seared into my brain. I had lost 3 tries for this card, then finally won only to have it seemingly disappear. I got a refund and tried to win it again on another copy and lost again. With only 14 copies, I figured my luck was running out. I am so glad this finally showed.

Oliver 14.jpg

Now we restart with a Dodger, a Garvey TSN cover. Got this for $0.99 is you can believe that, but shipping was another $7. Still a nice price, but the s/h was an overcharge. It came folded in an 8x10 mailer.

s-l1600.jpg

Next were a few non-certified singles.

Chris Taylor Maybe my favorite Topps design in 30+ years. Taylor.jpg

A lot of 4 MiLB cards, all affiliates. Eric Young was the one who really did anything at the MLB level and worth mentioning.Dukes.jpg

Alan Mills in a lot of Yankee affiliates. Played for LA in 1999 and part of 2000. The Dodgers traded him away to the Orioles for Al Reyes in 2000. This lot also includes a nice Turner Ward, who was a Dodger coach from 2016-2018. Mills.jpg

Next was an Otis Nixon card. He played in 42 games for the 97 Dodgers, having come from the Blue Jays via a trade with a minor leaguer. Nixon.jpg

Finally, wrapping up the cards with a Dick Williams card. Williams came up with the Brooklyn Dodgers, where he played 1951-56. he was up and down between the majors and minors most of that stretch, missing the World Championship year though as he spent that entire 1955 year in AA, tearing it up. The Dodgers lost him to the orioles via waivers in 1956. He had a 13 year playing career that ended in Boston in 1964.

However, he began his managerial career in 1967 with the Sox and immediately won a pennant, but lost to the Cards in the WS. Known more for his managing career, where he was eventually inducted into the Hall of Fame, he would win 2 World Series with the A's (1972-73), but went to California in 1974 and missed a 3rd. He would make it back to the fall classic in 1984 with the San Diego Padres, but lose to the Tigers. He was 1571-1451 in 22 seasons as the skipper, ending up in Seattle in 1988 just before Griffey mania!

Williams.jpg

I'll continue this in post II, as I have 5 more scans and will reach my limit otherwise.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
POST II of II

Wrapping up with 5 3x5s

Chris Cannizzaro. Cannizzaro .jpg
Dick Gray. Gray.jpg
Bill Hunter. Hunter.jpg
Ramon Martinez. The older and initially more successful brother of future HOFer Pedro, they also had a younger brother Jesus who pitched in the Dodgers system, but never made the bigs. Ramon won 20 games once and was a 1X AS, both 1990. The brothers were teammates in 1992 and 1993 before Pedro was sent to the Expos for Delino DeShields (Ouch!). Ramon stayed with the Dodgers until 1998, before spending 2 seasons in Boston, including 2000 where he once again teamed up with his brother. However, Pedro would win his 3rd Cy Young in 4 seasons and play in his 5th consecutive AS Game that year and Ramon added 10 wins to the effort. Clearly the baton had passed. His final year was in Pittsburgh in 2001. He was 135-88, 1427 K and a 3.67 ERA. Pedro was 219-100, 3154 K and a 2.93 ERA.mARTINEZ.jpg
John Rutherford. His rookie season in 1952, he was 7-7 and then it was over. His career stretched 1947-55, all with Brooklyn, but 52 was his only taste of the majors. Arm troubles seemed to be the end of his career. He went on to become a doctor after baseball, specializing in osteopathic medicine and lived to be 91. He died in 2016.Rutherford.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today brought another Jerry Grote archives, this time the Blue /25. If the purple and base were to fall into my lap, I would not pass on them, but I am not going to actively chase them. Of course, any gold version of a player I want is a possibility if the price remains competitive. A gold Grote would be cool, and would then force me to complete the run. Grote 25.jpg

The 2nd item was Andy Ashby. This reprint year (2002, I think) can be tricky. I made an offer on a different player/card I thought was blue and turns out it was just how the border looked in the scan! This is the base card, by the way, which looks normal in the scan. I did get a blue Ashby as well, but that one is slow to arrive. Hopefully it won't be another I am going to have to fight to get or be refunded. I won't say it's any worse now, but with longer PO delivery delays, it makes it seem like Covid is bringing out more ebay problem transactions.

A free agent signing, Andy pitched in LA from 2001-03, compiling a record of 14-23. He appeared in 2 games for SD in 2004, returning to the Padres where he had been most successful in his career. (2X AS 98-99) That would be the end of his career.Ashby.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The 2nd item was Andy Ashby. This reprint year (2002, I think) can be tricky. I made an offer on a different player/card I thought was blue and turns out it was just how the border looked in the scan!

That's the 2001 Topps design. They had Mark Mulder in this set in 2017 with that design and it's easy to tell the regular and blue apart if they are side by side, but if it's just one of them it's tough to tell based on the scanner, angle of the picture, lighting, etc.

17tarchauto.jpg17tarchautoblue.jpg

For 2020 I find it tough to distinguish the regular black-bordered '71 design and the purple parallel.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today brings a dupe. When you are chasing a new product in the peak of it's release, this bounds to happen. I ended up with 2 purple and 2 silver Grudzelaneks. This is the 2nd purple to arrive.Grudz Purple.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
No mail yesterday so it's a Blue Tuesday. I actually got 3 Archive blue cards /25, but one was never a dodger, but his nickname was "Blue Moon" Odom.

Andy Ashby. Ashby 25.jpg

Gary Sheffield. Sheffield 25.jpg

And wrap it up with an accidental dupe silver /99 Grudzelanek. This SHOULD wrap up me getting any more Grudz cards from this set, unless/until i get a blue and if luck is on my side, the gold even. grudz sILVER.jpg

Members online

Latest posts