Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I used to hoard Garvey low numbered cards whenever I could. I would try for just about anything /25 or less. Now days, with a lot of them being logo less crap, I really usually just go for one and then done. There are some older cards that do pop up from time to time that I may consider grabbing, even if I have it. Cards greater than 25 copies often only capture my attention long enough to determine if it could be a uniform number 6/xx or a variation I accept in lieu of the 6, such as 60, 66, 600, etc.

This card popped up a few times and I want to say the seller dropped the price a time or two after it didn't sell. I have this card and because it was numbered to 50 and I was pretty sure I already had 6/50, I barely took notice. Finally after seeing it a few times, I decided to look close and noticed in was 10/50. This means nothing to me normally, but in this case I was happy to see that this was also another jersey number card...BECAUSE...Ron Cey is also featured. So, todays mail brought me 1 card with two signatures. I now have the jersey "set", 6/50 & 10/50.

I don't seek these out for anyone but Garvey, but if one falls in my lap, I'll take it!

garv Cey 1.jpgGarv cay 2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I officially am down 2 Dodgers now for 2020. Along with Betts, Victor Gonzalez pitched an inning so he is official. He has not cards on COMC. I'll see if he has anything on ebay, otherwise I wait.

I did grab this on COMC today as a possible future add. Hard to really call him a Dodger, but he is part of the organization. Dodgers signed him as a free agent 7/7/20, but he is not on the 40 man roster. If nothing else, he fills a hole in my less important AS roster collection, as he is a 1X AS. AJ Ramos. AJ-Ramos.jpg

There are two more guys on the 40 man that I don't have, but neither have played yet. Luke Raley and Zach McKinstry.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
dodger fan = mr mopar or mopar =dodger fan ? What is you mopar fav car ?

1971 Cuda would be my car of choice. I owned a 1970 Cuda and a 1970 Challenger before, but both were rough. Also had a 71 Ford LTD and couple real beater Skylarks, 70 & 71. Those are the stripped down versions of the Buick Grand Sport, like a Satellite was the base Plymouth model that would become the Road Runner. Love most of the 68-71 vintage Mopars and really all of the US muscle cars of that era. 68 GTO & 70 Chevelle are a couple non-Mopar favorites.

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
first car was my parents 54 DeSoto Firedome ----bought new ----still in a building - i wrecked 1970 still drove . also i have 60 Desoto used to show ----have had 5 parts cars -sold parts around world BEFORE metal was banned or high fees . never bought 64 cuda i liked ---mixed many a drink in one LOL NEVER a ford -- won't buy local Chev . Still drive a Dodge van

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today brings 1 Dodgers certified card, a new Andruw Jones archives /9. Jones 9.jpg

The other certified card I received was Moose Skowron, but as a Yankee. Skowron.jpg

I also received 2 8x10s, One of Don Drysdale and 1 of Steve Garvey. Garv Drysdale.jpg

A lot netted me several Garvey MSU cards as well.

Garv MSU 1.jpg

The last item is the big score, some game specific promotional cards only available at 1 minor league game in Michigan from 2013. First one I have seen unsigned and have only seen 2 others signed before this. Garv MSU 2.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing in the mail today, so I grabbed this from COMC. It was on sale, still maybe a little more than I hoped to pay, but K-Rod is sparse for good autos and I get an Eric Gagne in the deal as well. I enjoy multiplayer autographs if done well. Eric-Gagne-Francisco-Rodriguez.jpg

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
i have 300 signed baseballs ------ most HR or fouls signed by hitter at local stadium . Sadly lost who they were paper . gave ONE to players dad -- Mike Greenwell - son played against local team and Mike was here .Slow night Mike was sitting on back row - told go sit at dugout -which he did -THEN son hits a foul where dad had been . I got the ball . After game they were talking , i was standing off to side - they waved me over --- . Speaking to son " some player you are trying to hit dad in stands " reply " well wanted to give him a ball" As i tossed him ball told him i got it give to your dad ---[ standing beside me] "here dad have a ball " .

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I believe this is a duplicate of a card I previously showed here, but this is a 2nd copy for me. Charles Johnson /54 Archives.  C Johnson.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
in addition, I also received a lot of over 300 TTM/IP autos from mainly 1981-1984. Lots of duplication of players, not too bad card wise for doubles, a few here and there. Nice mix of Fleer, Donruss and Topps. It was a semi-blind gamble I took from the Collectors Universe board. The seller had shown about (10) 9 pocket pages, but there were 36 pages total. The asking price was $300. A smattering of deceased, a couple HOFers. Nothing earth shattering with the best cards being a pair of 1974 Topps Traded Ron Santo, but I felt is was a reasonable purchase at around $1 per card. I added the following 41 Dodgers (11)/Former-future Dodgers (30) from this purchase as well:

IMG_7429.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Don Sutton /10. Sutton remains the only HOF Dodger player that bridges the gap of my youth between the great teams of the 50s into the 60s Koufax/Drysdale days and most recent semi-longterm Dodger HOFer (Piazza). Although the Dodgers had on their roster other Hall of Famers between the 60s and present, nearly all of them were there for maybe a season or two at best (Murray, Marichal, R. Henderson, G. Carter, Maddux, Thome, Bunning, F. Robinson, Wilhelm, P. Martinez). Of course, Lasorda/Alston were long time Dodger HOF managers in that time frame and Torre got the nod as well, but he is also like that long list of short timer players.

Garvey used to be considered a sure thing and a perfect representative of those 70s/80s WS teams, but that has proven just beyond his reach. You have to go back to Duke Snider to find a position player that spent a majority of his career with the team that was elected to the HOF, and his career was mostly Brooklyn! The Dodgers need some more long term representation in the HOF! Lots of good players and teams, but no solid HOFers.

Sutton.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A last minute COMC grab, this is /25. Jesmeul Valentin. He never actually played for the Dodgers, but was drafted by them and this is technically a Dodger card. Jesmuel-Valentin.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
POST I of ???

Going to have to split this one, due to the large number again. bought a couple more jumbo lots of those ugly Dodger cuts. I think this beats the old record!

First, I'll get the rest of the mail day out of the way:

Very faint Ed Goodson on a 77 team roster. I ended up cutting it into a stamp sized item. Goodson.jpg

Rick Honreycutt PC. Honeycutt.jpg

Ken Howell Howell.jpg

Matt Kemp Kemp.jpg

Lee Lacy small mag photo. s-l1600-12.jpg

Rick Monday 5x7 photo. Monday.jpg

Wally Moon PC. \Moon.jpg

Manny Mota 8x10. Mota copy.jpg

Rick Rhoden small mag photo. Rhoden.jpg

Bob Welch. Welch.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Post II of ???

A few former/future Dodger items and a 3x5

Mike Morgan. Morgan.jpg

Manny Mota. Mota.jpg

Mario Soto. He ended his career with the Dodgers although he never played for them on the field, but even got a 1989 Score Dodgers card. Soto.jpg

Clay Bryant, he was a pitching coach for the Dodgers in 1961 and also managed some of their minor league teams from 1945-1960 & 1963-64. Bryant.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Post III of ???

Finally, 2 lots of 100+ cuts each. Lots of minor league only, but a few neat signatures. most are just plain ugly, but the price was too good to pass up, plus I like the minor leaguers, just not enough to buy them alone. Once they are all up, I will post what I feel are the highlights.

s-l1600-1.jpgs-l1600-2.jpgs-l1600-3.jpgs-l1600-4.jpgs-l1600-5.jpgs-l1600-6.jpgs-l1600-7.jpgs-l1600-8.jpgs-l1600-9.jpgs-l1600-10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
So, not a ton of great highlights in this round, but at about 30 cents per item, more than a fair price. Most of these guys are obscure, but harder to find autographs from than the average player. The "biggies" for this large batch include:

Dave Sax, brother of Steve. Got into 9 games for the Dodgers between 1982-83. He was 0-10 at the plate.

Vicente Romo, who actually bagan and ended his career with LA. He pitched 1 game in 1968 (1 inning) and returned to LA in 1982 and was 1-2 in 15 games.

Will Brunson, who was 0-1 in 2 games with the 1998 Dodgers. He just died last at a young age (49) and for whatever reason, his signature is not very plentiful.

Gary Moore, not the hard rock guitarist, but an obscure player who's complete MLB career consists of 7 games with the 1970 Dodgers. in 16 plate appearances, he hit .188.

Steve Shirley, he was 1-1 in 11 games for the 1982 Dodgers.

Bob O'Brien made an appearance on the 1972 Dodgers rookies card he shares with Charlie Hough and Mike Strahler. He was 2-2 in 14 games for the 1972 Dodgers and that was it for him. He was dealt to the Orioles in Dec 1972 with Sergio Robles, Doyle Alexander and Royle Stillman, for Pete Richert and Frank Robinson.

Bob Darwin, appeared in 6 games for the 1969 Dodgers. 3 as a pinch runner and 3 as a pitcher! he also had a card appearance on a 1969 Topps card that also featured John miller and Tommy Dean. I have discussed this card before. in 1971, he apparently had been converted to an outfielder and got into 11 games before the Dodgers traded him to the Twins for Paul Powell. Darwin would have 3 decent full seasons with Minnesota from 1972-74, but would also lead the league in strikeouts all three years too.

Larry See played in 13 games for the 1986 Dodgers and hit .250, but no card for him. The Dodgers got Jose Mota from the Rangers for See, but Mota would never play for LA in the bigs. See saw another 13 games with Texas before his career came to a close, but only hit .130.

Mike Kekich, 0-1 in 5 games for the 1965 Dodgers. The Dodgers traded him straight up for Andy Kosco. Kekich would become more famous for a family swap he did with Fritz Peterson in the early 70s than for his baseball skills. he ended his career with the expansion mariners in 1977. Too bad he didn't get a 1978 Topps card as a Mariner. That would have been a great career capper. He was 5-4 in 41 games.

Gerry Hannahs, 0-2 in 5 games for the 1978-79 Dodgers. Came to the Dodgers from the Expos with Larry Landreth, for Mike Garman. Landreth never played for LA.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
This may be the 3rd Brian Jordan like this I have won since I started this thread, at least the 2nd for sure. Can't get enough of these! /11. Jordan.jpg

Members online