Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Only have Bunning on a 2003 Flair Greats (TTM) Detroit and 2001 Greats of the Game certified Philadelphia. Hoped I might have something Dodgery
I won't state I know it all, but have been searching for Dodger autographs for years on ebay, so finding a surprise is few and far between. I remember earlier this year finding out Mark Loretta had a certified Dodger card and was overly excited about it.

I did land a much better Bunning, that will show up here shortly. Still not a Dodger, but I like the card set and somehow squeezed out the win for a popular issue.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Took a small risk on a random lot. I could see there were a couple Garvey autographs and a bunch of periodicals and other collectibles in sheets. The price was decent ($25 I think, with $15 s/h) so I went for it. It arrived via Fed Ex today for a rare Sunday mailday! This was a 3 ring binder with stuff in those old greasy feeling sheets that will probably ruin stuff if it stays in them long enough. There were these two Garvey autographs. The SI is pretty nice, the photo is so so. Garv 1.jpggarv 2.jpg

There were some Dodgers programs, 71 Dell Stamps, 76 Pee Wee Linnett cards, some large FDC deals, a couple Campanella postcards that he gave out for fan mail, some Garvey unsigned photos an 1984 Olympics program, a couple Dukes programs and a Legends Manazine. They showed most everything I got, but there were a few surprises. one of the later Dodger Magazines had 3 former Dodger player signatures tucked away on the scorecard. Ken McMullen, Von Joshua and Ted Sizemore. Nothing amazing, but still a nice extra.

IMG_8104.jpg

The big surprise score though was a BBWAA program with several autos on the cover, including Dodgers Maury Wills, Mike Morgan, Mike Munoz (I believe), Rod Dedeaux (84 US Oly coach and former Brooklyn Dodger) and one more I don't recognize yet, maybe not a Dodger? EDIT: Thinking about it, might be Chuck Finley? This was 1990 in So Cal. Anyone agree? Disagree? Have other possibilities? IMG_8105.jpg

This thing kept on giving though. Inside was an insert with a Joe Garagiola auto as well. Not Dodger related, but it is worth mention. IMG_8106.jpg

Then further in, a page with Joe Torre and Gene Autry signatures! I have actually been looking for an Autry, in case he ever gets the call to the HOF. This was the highlight of the buy for me. Torre, of course, does have a Dodger connection now. IMG_8107.jpg

Lesson learned...ALWAYS looks through books and magazines for signatures before getting rid of them!

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I'm not 100% but that does look a lot like Chuck Finley. Not too bad if so, he's a tougher signature, still missing him for my '88 Topps set. Also, it's signed right next to the cartoon babes and he was famously married to Tawny Kitaen, so I think that's confirmation.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Today was busy and tomorrow looks to be too, so cutting it short on the commentary.

4 Dodger pitcher 8x10. Multi-signed items are always cool, especially those complete. Preacher Roe, Clem Labine, Carl Erskine, Ralph Branca.4 Dod.jpg

Ron Cey Linnett portrait. Cey.jpg

Chone Figgins 8x10. I was happy to see this from a favorite seller, as I don't see much for him on the Dodgers. He ended his career in LA after no MLB in 2013. He played in 38 games, hitting .217. He was a 1x AS career. Figgins.jpg

Ken Landreaux Team Issue 8x10. Landreaux.jpg

Davey Lopes magazine or newspaper photo. Lopes copy.jpg

Moose Skowron 8x10. Skowron.jpg

Won this lot and a few Dodgers were included, but I liked all signed cards in general, so nice score. 1958 T Pee Wee Reese and a 1971 T Bobby Valentine represent the Dodgers. Reese Valentine.jpg

Rounding out with a 1978 T Lerrin LaGrow. I can never have enough signed 78 Topps, especially with a Dodger link. Lagrow.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got burned for not paying attention! Thought it was a certified version, but it is just a TTM/IP. Snider copy.jpg

Tommy John. John.jpg

Moose Skowron. Skowron Card.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I got this a few days back, but missed it.

This is Fausto Carmona, now known as Roberto Hernandez. He was a 1X AS and like many pitchers, only spent a brief time in LA. August 7, 2014: Traded by the Philadelphia Phillies to the Los Angeles Dodgers for players to be named later. The Los Angeles Dodgers sent Victor Arano (August 28, 2014) and Jesmuel Valentin (August 16, 2014) to the Philadelphia Phillies to complete the trade. He played 9 games for the team, going 2-3 in 43 innings. He lasted 2 more seasons and was done at the MLB level.R oberton Hernandez.jpg

Today brought only 1 auto. The mail is starting to bunch up again for me. I expect a bunch in the next 4 days. Matt Beaty, gold snapshot /10. Beaty 10.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Dupe today. Didn't look close enough (why is this still plaguing me???) and thought I was getting the base auto. Already had the gold, now I have 2. I guess I can't complain about this kind of mistake, unless the base is a SP. David Price. price.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got me a Don Sutton genericard today. The design is catchy, but alas...no logos. Sutton 10 .jpg

Reminds me of the "Beer" that sold in cards in the 80s, white label, just said Beer on it. I need to come up with a catchy term for these cards. I won't completely avoid them, but they are really ruining the look of cards with these licensing issues.

IMG_2945.jpg

The other Dodger auto I got today was a Jerry Reuss PC. His signature totally looks like a facsimile autograph, but it is actually hand signed. Reuss.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I have a coworker who came of age around the time of generic beer and said they called it "Beer Beer." Maybe the Panini stuff is "Card Cards."

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I remember hearing that, beer beer. I think I saw on the cans or read somewhere that it was actually bottled/canned at a major brewery. Maybe the same exact beer as the name brand stuff. In our case, the Panini cards are nice in some regards, but the lack of logos is just a huge reminder of the 80s oddball airbrushed logo issues. It really makes them look 2nd rate.

I did forget to mention, in case it is not visible, that the Sutton is numbered to 10.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
All this talk about mail woes, this was nearly another mishap of mine. This package was been "lost in space" for close to a month. No tracking, mailed poorly (as admitted by seller) as 6 cards in a fat toploader in a PWE! Today it finally found itself in my mailbox. Happy about this, but I had actually already accepted the loss. I mentioned things like this in the USPS thread, because although I was not happy for the loss, the seller had already refunded my money, so I was just disappointed. Now, I get the cards after all, am reaching out to the seller to repay, but it appears I am trading this missing package for a much more nerve wracking package that showed delivered via tracking yesterday, but was not in fact delivered. I really hope I can share this new MIA item (fingers crossed that it shows in the next day or so), otherwise I will be about as devastated as one could be from losing a trading card in the mail. I am not even talking high $ cost, but I had never seen this card before and doubt I will ever see another again.

Anyway, back to the long lost mail day that returned. Highlighted by a Dodger card of Tom Koehler. He never played for the big team, but was with them for 11 months between Dec 2017-November 2018. Without digging deeper, not sure what was going on. It seems he was not playing ball at any level around that time. I bought a certified auto when they signed him, but now I have a Dodger card too. koehler.jpg

Jose De Leon. DeLeon.jpg

Chris Hatcher. He pitched for the Dodgers from 2015-17 and was 8-10 across those 3 seasons. He originally came to the Dodgers in a multi-player deal with Miami. December 11, 2014: Traded by the Miami Marlins with Austin Barnes, Andrew Heaney and Enrique Hernandez to the Los Angeles Dodgers for Dee Strange-Gordon, Dan Haren, Miguel Rojas and cash. Hatcher.jpg

Ross Stripling. Stripling.jpg

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
The package that tracking says is delivered...does it say "ARRIVAL AT UNIT" or "Delivered in/at mailbox"? For some reason I will often have packages that say ARRIVAL AT UNIT even when they were not out for delivery and were not delivered, then the next day they'll say out for delivery followed by delivered in/at mailbox, and it will actually be there. Hopefully it'll show up tomorrow and it didn't get delivered to the wrong house.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Tracking shows delivered in/at mailbox and the CS rep even confirmed it was my exact address, not the close one my neighbor has. Doesn't mean it could not have been slipped into an adjacent mailbox either. you'd think if that happened, one of my fine neighbors would have tried to give it to me though. Day 2 since the claim was filed and mail delivered and no missing package yet, or a phone call from USPS with an explanation. I don't want to lose hope quite yet, as it is the holiday season, but this is really pissing me off. Literally one of the few items I have bought in quite some time that I highly doubt I could replace at ANY price. I am probably one of a handful of people that would care much more about this card than the $5-6 I spent on it. it was not about the price. I have NEVER seen one before!!

Today did bring 1 package, a Garvey Montgomery Club auto. I am not clear what these are exactly. It sounds like maybe these were special issue cards for Montgomery club members? I have not seen a lot of them so far and I really liked the design. It does have a sticker auto, which some people despise. I think if done well, it's not so bad. This one is decent. What would have made this card one of the better Garvey autographs in years would have been to have the Dodger name in Red. That would have made this card insanely cool looking. Blue border fits the Dodger team colors well, but their uniform numbers are red, so a touch of red with a blue card goes very nicely. I delayed in making an offer on one and ended up paying much more for my copy, but I did not want to miss this, just in case they have already dried up.
Garvey Mont.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
OK, first the good news. The missing package appeared. it ended up on my neighbors doorstep, the one who has the same house number and street number, just a difference of place and street. That has been and will continue to be a sore spot and an area of confusion, but we move on.

Andre Ethier /10. Ethier 10.jpg

James Loney. /75 Came with Ethier. Loney.jpg

Jim Bunning /5. Surprised to win this one. I like the set and feel it was a nice price, but much more than the average non-logo panini Bunning offering. Worht it though. Bunning.jpg

Al Oliver /3. I have yet to see a 1985T Traded version, hope there is one and i get a crack at it. This one is nice and only 3 copies too. Oliver 3.jpg

The grand finale. The card was lost for a few days and nearly caused me to stroke out! I think the ending bid was maybe $6-7 AND I got a 1982 Fleer card with it. Not a pricy card, but one I had never seen before. As far as i can tell from the clues on the card, Weiser Lithographics, a printing company out of California, had some sort of event that featured garvey in 2000. being a printing company, they had the means to print cards for the event and Garvey must have signed some. How many were made, that is the big question of the day. I have NEVER seen this card before, it is obviously not cataloged because it is not licensed, but this was an amazing find. I guess some could or might call it a nicely made broder or custom, but most of those people don't put a company name or reputation on their cards. I was so worried I wouldn't win it that I put in a crazy snipe bid. I was nervous just seeing what it ended for, had anyone else seen it and understood what it was. I was relived to see it was under $10, about the going rate for a signed Garvey card.

I might be the only person this excited about a Garvey card, specifically this one, but this is an amazing find for an advanced player collector, a card you did not know even existed with a pretty decent back story behind it to date and place the origin. I googled Weiser Litho, but not sure they are still around. Maybe i'll dig a little deeper, but dying to know how many of these were made. Was it a small company event for employees and family? Was it a trade show appearance? Was it only for a few select employees pitching something? I need to talk to someone who worked there in 2000, preferably a manager or owner, that might have the sweet details surrounding this mysterious card. Whatever the case, this is my first sighting of a 19 year old card.

I love it!

SG1.jpgSG2.jpg

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
OK, first the good news. The missing package appeared. it ended up on my neighbors doorstep, the one who has the same house number and street number, just a difference of place and street. That has been and will continue to be a sore spot and an area of confusion, but we move on.

Andre Ethier /10. View attachment 119517

James Loney. /75 Came with Ethier. View attachment 119518

Jim Bunning /5. Surprised to win this one. I like the set and feel it was a nice price, but much more than the average non-logo panini Bunning offering. Worht it though. View attachment 119519

Al Oliver /3. I have yet to see a 1985T Traded version, hope there is one and i get a crack at it. This one is nice and only 3 copies too. View attachment 119520

The grand finale. The card was lost for a few days and nearly caused me to stroke out! I think the ending bid was maybe $6-7 AND I got a 1982 Fleer card with it. Not a pricy card, but one I had never seen before. As far as i can tell from the clues on the card, Weiser Lithographics, a printing company out of California, had some sort of event that featured garvey in 2000. being a printing company, they had the means to print cards for the event and Garvey must have signed some. How many were made, that is the big question of the day. I have NEVER seen this card before, it is obviously not cataloged because it is not licensed, but this was an amazing find. I guess some could or might call it a nicely made broder or custom, but most of those people don't put a company name or reputation on their cards. I was so worried I wouldn't win it that I put in a crazy snipe bid. I was nervous just seeing what it ended for, had anyone else seen it and understood what it was. I was relived to see it was under $10, about the going rate for a signed Garvey card.

I might be the only person this excited about a Garvey card, specifically this one, but this is an amazing find for an advanced player collector, a card you did not know even existed with a pretty decent back story behind it to date and place the origin. I googled Weiser Litho, but not sure they are still around. Maybe i'll dig a little deeper, but dying to know how many of these were made. Was it a small company event for employees and family? Was it a trade show appearance? Was it only for a few select employees pitching something? I need to talk to someone who worked there in 2000, preferably a manager or owner, that might have the sweet details surrounding this mysterious card. Whatever the case, this is my first sighting of a 19 year old card.

I love it!

View attachment 119521View attachment 119522
That's awesome and completely understand putting some crazy bid in on a card 99% would call worthless, I've done it many times, congrats!

Members online

Latest posts