Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another decent mail day, but still no sign of THE item I am especially waiting on, and no update on the tracking # since 2/17....GRRRR!

I did get this Garvey pin set with auto plaque. These were sold out of the team store and probably mail order, limited to 1000 sets, although I only really see fairly low numbered editions. This could be one where they stopped selling them after a certain point and there are not actually 1000 of them. Just a guess though. I did not need this, I have several, but could not pass up the opening bid of $10! S/H was $15, so $25 out the door. I bid and never saw any competition, so $25 got me another one for the collection.

s-l1600.jpg

I got another 2004 Timeless Teams card. Pretty sure i have this too, but for the price, it was worth doubles (or triples). John Shelby. s-l1600-1.jpg

Last item today was a new Topps Garvey auto. these were selling for STUPID prices when they first hit. After realizing that they were not rare, I offered several sellers $12 and all passed. I watched singles selling for $20-30 and more, laughing at each one. Eventually someone took me up on my $12 offer. Since then, I have seen a few sell for $20-30, but a few in the $10-20 range too. It's realistically a $10 auto, if that. There are copies /50 and /25 that I have seen listed. There could be lower print runs that I have yet to see, but I never researched the set to see. I landed a /50 and only one /25 has been listed so far. I'd almost prefer that new items stay hidden for a while at the rates people are paying for stuff that is worth nowhere near what they are paying. Sure, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, but prices drop on most cards when the "new" rubs off. That is happening now. Still nice to see a Garvey auto with Logos and Team names after seeing pretty much only Panini Garvey stuff for a while.

s-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Postal delays reminiscent of pre Xmas are bunching up my mail days. Had a pretty good sized one today and in the old mold of this thread, would have taken some time to list everything Dodger related. I'll just hit the highlights for me.

Jorge Orta. I have thIs already, but his autos are not as common as a lot of guys in his era and this is a good looking card too. Have always liked the 83D set a lot.s-l1600-4.jpg

Andy Pafko. Pretty sure I have this card already too. This is just a great looking set and this would have been much cooler as a Dodger, but he was only with the team briefly. If not for his 52 Topps #1, there may not be a certified Pafko Dodger card. s-l1600-1.jpg

Steve Finley. I may have already had this card as well, but I like to get as many Archives /25 each year as I can and Finley was a former Dodger, so bonus! s-l1600-2.jpg

This cheapie excites me the most and although I have his signature already, I did not have a certified copy. Didn't know it existed and even though it is a Mets card, Lyons had a brief stint in LA and I would not expect there to be a certified Lyons, let along a certified Dodger Lyons, so this is the best I could hope for. The Dodgers signed him in free agency in late Sept 1990. He appeared in 3 games for them that season. He was 1-5, but that sole hit was a HR. In 1991, he appeared in 9 games and was hitless in 9 AB. Granted free agency on june 12, he signed with the Angels and saw 2 games worth of action for them that year. He returned to L=MLB in 1995 with the White Sox and showed perhaps his best bit of hitting for them in 27 games before calling it a career. 7 years, 253 total games and a .239 average and this guy gets his own certified card! I for one am glad! s-l1600-3.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
FINALLY! The card I have been whining about showed up today. I am relieved. As I said, this is not something I could replace. It is a 1/1. This will be anticlimactic probably, but this is the card I spoke of several times since Topps Archives hit the market and I started scooping (get it?) up Al Oliver cards. I wondered several times if Topps made one using his 1985 Topps Traded card, his only as a Dodger. It was certainly #1 on my want list if they made one, but I collected numerous other Olivers from the set. The last one left I desire, which I am almost certain would be a 1/1, is his 1970 Topps trophy card!

Here it is for nobody to be jealous over!

oliver 1-1.jpg

There are still a few goodies locked up in mail land still, but nothing I couldn't replace if I had to.

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
FINALLY! The card I have been whining about showed up today. I am relieved. As I said, this is not something I could replace. It is a 1/1. This will be anticlimactic probably, but this is the card I spoke of several times since Topps Archives hit the market and I started scooping (get it?) up Al Oliver cards. I wondered several times if Topps made one using his 1985 Topps Traded card, his only as a Dodger. It was certainly #1 on my want list if they made one, but I collected numerous other Olivers from the set. The last one left I desire, which I am almost certain would be a 1/1, is his 1970 Topps trophy card!

View attachment 121588

There are still a few goodies locked up in mail land still, but nothing I couldn't replace if I had to.
Happy for you!

Dazed

Aug 7, 2008
East of KC MO

View attachment 121588

Great pick up! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-J737T using Freedom Card Board mobile app

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A couple more stragglers starting to come in. Hopefully our USPS woes are diminishing for the time being.

Johnny Podres Heritage Red /58. What a great set. I can't believe I didn't even realize these were out there until the mid 60s designs! Missed out on some good stuff when it was new. Podres Red.jpg

This Garvey poster was my oldest MIA...now just 2 more, one coming from TX, so it may be a while...I cringe at the tack holes, but I have rarely seen the poster and it's also signed. i do have the poster already, but I don't mind a fairly inexpensive dupe.
Garv Poster.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
My Texas snow delay card arrived today. Garvey 2021 Topps /50.

Garv 21T 50.jpg

My "first world" Ebay/USPS woes continue though. Another Dodger auto I was excited about was "delivered" this past week, except it wasn't. I got a package, from the seller, but instead of my Dodger auto, I got a base card of Andrew McCutcheon. The seller seems ready to work this out, but nothing so far after 2 mail days. He is waiting to hear from the guy who he sent my card to. Usually this has gone as you'd expect, with both parties doing the right thing and returning the card, but the last time it happened to me, the ****** kept my card, an auto #'d 5 that was not going to be replaceable. Seriously though, how do you screw this up as a seller? Slow down and get your orders right. it's not hard.

My last vent of the day. The LONG awaited day is tomorrow, the estimated ship date of my COMC order that I requested on 12/3/20. They have always met or exceeded this date before this past year, but I actually fully expect the item not to ship tomorrow. I was reading feedback on ebay and they are screwing the pooch hard it seems. I also might have mentioned I bought an ebay auction from them reluctantly about 10 days ago and asked about combining shipment with my COMC port order., since they had not sent it yet. I paid $5.88 for my 3 month ago order and now i get to pay another $5 for 1 card to ship around the same time, all while living about 30 minutes away from their warehouse! They didn't even acknowledge the message. THESE GUYS SUCK RIGHT NOW! I am done with them completely unless I see nothing but sweet praises in the future, after a cool off period for me. I am just a buyer, but I don't feel like I can trust them any longer. I don't think it would come to this, but what if they collapsed operationally or financially (although I'm sure they are bringing in plenty of cash) and lock up the doors, kind of like a Fleer Bankrupcy situation? I certainly would not want them to have any of my cards right now (yet they do still!) either as a buyer or seller.

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 6.21.44 PM.png

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nothing worth talking about in the last couple of days, while I wait for my mis-sent Dodger auto to show up,, but UPDATE to my COMC saga. I was right, 2 days after estimated ship date, the site has not updated as showing shipped. I just sent what I expect to be a dead end attempt email to their customer service email address asking for an update as to when I can expect to actually see my cards shipped. This is just utterly ridiculous.

ANY COMC EMPLOYEES WILLING TO SHOW THEIR FACES ON THE SITE AND TRY TO EXPLAIN WHAT IS BEING DONE TO NOT LOSE ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS IN RECORD TIME?

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Nothing worth talking about in the last couple of days, while I wait for my mis-sent Dodger auto to show up,, but UPDATE to my COMC saga. I was right, 2 days after estimated ship date, the site has not updated as showing shipped. I just sent what I expect to be a dead end attempt email to their customer service email address asking for an update as to when I can expect to actually see my cards shipped. This is just utterly ridiculous.

ANY COMC EMPLOYEES WILLING TO SHOW THEIR FACES ON THE SITE AND TRY TO EXPLAIN WHAT IS BEING DONE TO NOT LOSE ALL OF YOUR CUSTOMERS IN RECORD TIME?
Didn't there used to be a guy here named COMC_James or something like that? I can't find him in the member list.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

Did you have any of the cards where it pops up that message saying they are "stored remotely" when you buy them? I've heard that can add quite a bit of time to it, which I suspect is time added after their ship date quote rather than factored in already when they give you a ship date. I know last year when I requested a shipment in June and it was given a ship date of 9/21 but did not actually ship until 10/27 I did have several "stored remotely" cards in it. I suspect it's going to happen again with the shipment I requested in December that currently has a 3/15 ship date.

I know some people have been saying they've gotten their economy shipments quickly recently, but I just went in to request a shipment today and it quoted a July 1 estimated ship date, so it looks like the same old crap to me. I've been taking more of my money elsewhere and trying to use COMC as a store of "last resort".

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I think I may have 1 or more of those remote items. My email has gone unanswered so far, no surprise there, but it has been 24 hours or less. i'm sure they are getting pounded with emails. Beyond time to right the ship there Tim, or you might end up running it into ground!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Nice, we are facebook "friends", although I have not tried to say much to him. I hope he means $15 each, otherwise what a deal! Nice score on the RC signed too. seems like a good guy. Hopefully he remains in good health for a while.

Thought you might be interested in the note Al wrote to me.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Why not, as the pick-ups are slow. Nothing new today.

I'll document my COMC saga until it wraps up though. I did get a reply from a CS rep regarding a feisty email, sharing my dissatisfaction with their recent history of handling orders and when could i expect my order, since the estimate had since passed. That is a positive sign.

The rep also apologized, but explained that it may still be longer. He projected that it should be sent by 4/13. Their acceptable target on non-rush orders is apparently now 4+ months (130 days from date of order being placed). That is not a positive sign.

A peace offering perhaps, but the rep credited my shipping charge, so if/when I finally get my cards, it will have been free shipping.

That is a nice gesture, but at this point, what difference does it make to me. I don't plan to buy anything else, so I now have about $7 sitting in my account. I guess if I change my mind and find something I just can't live without, and am willing to wait 4 months for it or pay a ridiculous expedite fee, then I will be able to use the credit.

This is wrong on so many levels, but they have me by the balls. I can't do anything about it and they know that.

I wonder if my ebay purchase will take as long? Lots of negative feedback there, complaining of long shipping times or no item (maybe they gave up and asked for a refund before COMC bothered to ship). I have to say that COMC is now a "blocked" ebay seller for me as well. I just don't want or need to extra hassles.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Once upon a time, I was very interested in getting every single possible signed Topps All Rookie Team card (those with the trophies) and in a few cases, those that should have received trophies but did not for some reason. I even tracked down the cards that were issued w/o any trophies but were members of the ART (1974, 1979-1986). It became apparent that I could never keep up with it, with all the superstar players getting trophy cards. I also could never track down and/or afford some real biggies like Munson, Jeter and Ichiro! I will still pick them up whenever I see a reasonably priced card, but I don't chase them annually anymore. I got pretty darn close to a 40 year run (1960-2000) and continued into the 2000s with a much lower per year success rate. Players like Trout, Bryant and others made it an impossible task.

I do try to keep up with any new Dodgers though. Recently, buybacks have given me a chance to find some goodies as well, plus have them be manufactured pack pulled certified copies. Bonus!

The latest find is the 2020 Will Smith, in Archives buyback form. Getting them this way costs much more than a nice TTM/IP, but I'll make a few exceptions.Smith.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
Once upon a time, I was very interested in getting every single possible signed Topps All Rookie Team card (those with the trophies) and in a few cases, those that should have received trophies but did not for some reason. I even tracked down the cards that were issued w/o any trophies but were members of the ART (1974, 1979-1986). It became apparent that I could never keep up with it, with all the superstar players getting trophy cards. I also could never track down and/or afford some real biggies like Munson, Jeter and Ichiro! I will still pick them up whenever I see a reasonably priced card, but I don't chase them annually anymore. I got pretty darn close to a 40 year run (1960-2000) and continued into the 2000s with a much lower per year success rate. Players like Trout, Bryant and others made it an impossible task.

I do try to keep up with any new Dodgers though. Recently, buybacks have given me a chance to find some goodies as well, plus have them be manufactured pack pulled certified copies. Bonus!

The latest find is the 2020 Will Smith, in Archives buyback form. Getting them this way costs much more than a nice TTM/IP, but I'll make a few exceptions.View attachment 121778
I love the All-Star Rookies, too! Nice pickup on the Smith card!!!! 1970 is the only year I have completed. Did get a Jeter TTM the year the card came out.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It is one of the better looking trophy cards, so I am quite jealous. the price was right back in the day, but I literally never saw one offered for sale when Jeter TTM/IP cards were reasonable. If one had even listed, maybe I would have one now.

I did get this boring Garvey /11 today. I used to love anything unique, but the panini garbage dump of card after card with no logos has gotten old. That and I finally just gave up on getting even all of the variations of these. The Garvey rare stuff has taken a slight hit, although it might only be me and a few others that can see it.

s-l1600-1.jpg

Still waiting on my wrong card auto to show up, which I will share when it does. it's not an exciting player, but the card seems to never come up for sale. I really liked the design too.

My COMC shipment still sits in the queue, at over 100 days since I requested it....and my COMC ebay purchase is also shown w/o tracking and way later than generally acceptable to most buyers. Have I mentioned that they really suck these days?!

Members online

Latest posts