Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinbreaker

Aug 7, 2008
Laguna Niguel, CA
I came across a John Candelaria as a Dodger auto'd..
(2014 Leaf Memories Buy Back)

Let me know if you need it.. otherwise I'll put it on EBAY with the other Leaf Memories Buy Back autos I found..

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I came across a John Candelaria as a Dodger auto'd..
(2014 Leaf Memories Buy Back)

Let me know if you need it.. otherwise I'll put it on EBAY with the other Leaf Memories Buy Back autos I found..
I think I actually have that, but what are you looking to get for it? I can check in the meantime. I am not afraid of dupes, especially if the price is good.

That said, I got a few dupes in todays mail. I can't seem to win the regular Griffith Heritage, but I think this might be my 3rd Red! No, not trying to hoard, but the prices were cheap. I got this for less than the last regular signed copy went for??? Maybe it is a SP?

Griffith Red.jpg

This Kendrick is also a dupe. /71. Archives. s-l1600.jpg

I have several of these signed Buckner cards too, but this is one of the best SSPC cards they made, because of the action shot. Plus it's a Dodger. Plus, now Buckner has passed, so not a bad dupe to obtain. Buckner SSPC.jpg

Last item is a Terry McDermott 3x5. His signature is a dupe. He doesn't have anything but some tough minor league cards. I would love to get one signed, but even his generic autos are not plentiful. Makes me think he is not an easy TTM target, so not risking a rare minor league card.

McDermott.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Big day for Garvey stuff. Might as well start out with a bang. This is /5. Garvey 5.jpg. This one is /10. Garvey 10.jpg. This one is /12. Garvey 12.jpg. Finally, this one is /15. Garvey 15-2.jpg

No other autos, but this is an item I don't see a lot. It's a photo ball with Garvey on it. His picture is not shown in the auction listing, but it looks like a Dodger image, so this is probably from very late 1982 or more likely early 1983. Also on the ball is Garry Templeton (who had just joined the Padres for the 82 season after essentially being traded for Ozzie Smith! - Whoops!), Ruppert Jones (who was an AS for the Padres in 82) and Tim Lollar. (who had a breakout year winning 16 in 82, his best in his career). Too bad Gwynn wasn't included as well.garvey Ball 2.jpgGarvey Ball 1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
It's Sunday, so no mail, but I somehow missed this package when it arrived a week or so ago. I noticed it getting ready for some incoming stuff...

I always prefer cards, but I think I may start to narrow my focus to Dodger uniform only for signatures I already have. These guys are not frequently seen in a dodger uni, so the photos were a nice pick up.

Nick Punto. s-l1600.jpg. Pitching coach for Jim Tracy era Dodgers, Jim Colborn. s-l1600-2.jpg

This final one is not a Dodger image, but any Chuck Dressen is a good one, as he died in 1966. He managed the great Boys of Summer Dodger teams from 1951-53 and worked for the club in other capacities as well throughout his career. s-l1600-1.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Another Garvey Archives /15. Garvey 15.jpg

Pedro Guerrero. Guerrero.jpg

Jake Vogel. Couldn't seem to win a Bowman, so this will suffice. Vogel.jpg

Thwe rest are TTM/IP. First is Oscar Robles on a MiLB program. Robles.jpg

Kenta Maeda. This fills 2 collections, the Dodgers and the Topps trophy cards. I prefer base Topps, but will take any version to fill a hole. Maeda.jpg

These last 2 I am a little unsure about. I got them from a seller I would like to trust, but I have seen a few autos look a little iffy from them. They have lots of feedback and have been around a while. Maybe I am just getting a little paranoid. They could have been signed around the same time, but the ink and signatures look a little too similar. Neither is too common of a signature. The Lopez looks funny, but it was cheap. I'll check it against the others I have. Doesn't help that he shares the same name with a prospect who played a few years later and was actually in a Leaf certified auto set. Springer looks good at first glance, but will check his too. If fake, I am out less than the cost of a cheap lunch. Springer.jpgLopez.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Looks like I may have missed a day or two this week. This covers anything worthy of mention since my last post this past Monday.

The big one is a 2005 Donruss DK Auto 1/1. You don't find many older short print copies anymore. I THINK this may complete the set for that year, I'll have to check. Normally I don't necessarily chase 1/1s to complete a set, but I am somewhat certain I now have ALL of the auto'd 1/1s from this set. They had a lot of variations. Garvey 1-1.jpg

This is a neater older Tommy Lasorda auto. It almost looks too child-like, so hopefully Tommy Boy didn't have a grandchild signing his cards that year! This is /25. Lasorda.jpg

A few more obscure guys who might have 1 or no Dodger cards for signature, so getting as close as I can (minors). Eugenio Velez (hitless in 37 games across 34 games for LA in 2011 - OUCH!!), Eric Stuckenschneider (never made the team, but has a Bowman card, which I have) and Tony Gwynn Jr. (who was not the player his father was by any stretch of the imagination). Been watching the Gwynn, hoping the seller would drop his price or send an offer, but no dice. I finally figured I am hesitating over only a couple bucks anyway and if someone grabs this, I may have a hard time finding another Dodger card. I often trip on dollars, trying to pick up dimes and as much as i am trying to cure myself of this, sometimes I still forget! Velez.jpgStuck.jpgGwynn Jr.jpg

Lastly, a cut. Buzzie Bavasi may one day get the nod for the HOF as a long time executive, so it can't hurt to grab copies when they are a bargain. He was Dodgers GM from 1951-1968. That is most of the franchise WS victories as the boss! He then had stints with the Padres and Angels through 1984. had 2 sons who became MLB GMs as well. I love this quote from BB Reference too...he isn't wrong!

In 2000, Bavasi commented on the large contract given to Alex Rodriguez by the New York Yankees: "The guy makes $25 million a year and he gets another $100,000 for making the All-Star team? If I was paying a guy $25 million a year, he sure as hell better make the All-Star team."
Buzzie.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Bavasi lead Dodger teams made 8 WS appearances and won 4 during his tenure. Thinking about that, Andrew Freidman led Dodger teams since he joined the team in 2015 have made 6 consecutive playoff trips, including 3 WS trips and he has 1 win. Odds are they are going to the playoffs again this season and maybe they'll win the WS again and shush the naysayers who think the 60 game season shouldn't count! 2021 would be their 9th straight trip to the playoffs (7 for Freidman - the first two were under Ned Coletti).

They still have a ways to go to even try to match the Yankees of 1995-2007 with 13 consecutive playoff visits, 6 trips to the WS (4 consecutive & 3 peat winners) and 4 total World Championships in that span. I assumed that is the best string of playoff trips, but learned the Braves made it 1991-2005 (1994 didn't count, as no postseason), 14 consecutive years. They made 5 trips to the WS in that span, but only won 1 time! I'd take that Yankee run of 13 over the less successful 14 year streak of the Braves anyways.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Jesus! Finally won one of these Clearly Authentic cards. I have seen 1/1 (gold), /10 (purple), /25 (blue), /50 (red), /75 (black), /99 (green) and base auto so far, there could be more. You'd think a Garvey collector like me would have mkost. On any other year, probably so. This year, I have not been able to get close to any of them and my first win is a /99! You'd think Garvey had just died or been enshrined into the HOF. I guess the new money in cards right now is just a little bit stupid as well. Let's drive up prices on even the lesser collected stuff, leaving those wanting to pay a fair market disappointed and setting new buyers up for a disappointment when they can't even get their original investment back when they go to sell later.

Garvey 99.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A few certified cards, all new cards I didn't have. None of the players are new signatures for me, but stand by for a big hit. I won't spill more yet, but it's exciting for me, at least.

Gavin Lux. Lux.jpg. Clayton Beeter. Beeter.jpgShea Spitzbarth /25. Spitzbarth 25.jpg. Andre Ethier. Ethier.jpg. I added this final player/card because I had never picked up a preview version before, now I have this and one more incoming (Miguel Tejada) after last week. Both cards combined were under $10! Juan Encarnacion, who did a brief stint with LA in 2004 in 86 games. Encarnacion.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have a few Maeda autos, but not that one. I didn't chase him too aggressively because he seemed to have a decent following.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Bargain bin day

Eddie Stanky 3x5. Stanky.jpg Jason Romano. Like this set design. Romano.jpg. Willie Banks. he seems to be a little harder to find that I would think. Dodger stay was brief. Banks.jpg. This is from the same seller that I questioned the Lopez and Springer. I am mixed on Banks. I should probably just skip any more, as I just am not sure. Saving grace is they were cheap.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A pretty good haul these days, all certified.

Dusty Baker Timeless Teams. Baker.jpg

Johnny Podres Heritage Real One 1954 design. Podres.png

Maury Wills Heritage 1972 Design. I can't believe how long this took to win one at "my" price! Crazy market that makes me grumpy these days. Wills.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Got a biggie today! saving it for the finale though...

Starting me out is a vintage Garvey 3x5. I bought this only because of the vintage version of his signature and paid more for it as an autograph than I normally would for a cut/3x5, but these vintage period pieces are much less common.

As I write this, I am reminded that I didn't go back and check, but something was picking at my brain on this one personalized to Kay. In fact, I didn't even check until right in the middle of drafting this entry and I'll be damned if the letter I got a few weeks back, sent from Spokane, was addressed to a fan named Kay as well. When I turned over the 3X5, there is a pencil date of 6/1/70! I think this may have been sent with the letter!!! I'd have to go back and check to see if this was the same seller, but if it was not, how incredible is this to find what I believe to be a 3x5 that came with the letter from 1970, within a few weeks of each other The date on the 3x5 lines up with what I suspected would have been the time frame the letter was sent (May/june 1970)!

Garvey Vintage 3X5.jpg

I did go back and it was from the same seller that I bought both the letter and 3x5, several weeks apart, further "proving" these two items belong together and they were reunited once again!! Maybe I should have finished with that, but I didn't realize the connection when I started writing.

Next up is a somewhat boring Heritage Real One of Ron Negray, considering my other 2 additions today. Like several Heritage cards, I seemed to had be able to win the red, but not the base. Negray was another example of this that I remedied recently. I know I have mentioned Negray at least once before. His career was bookended with a start in Brooklyn with no decisions across 4 games in 1952 and ended in LA with no decisions across 4 games as well! In between, he was 6-6 across 2 seasons with the Phillies, 1955-56. He was featured in the TCMA Boys of Summer 1952 Dodgers card set, but other than that and a 1990 Target card, not sure if he had any other Dodger cards. It was nice to have him featured as a certified auto in the heritage set for that reason. He died in 2018 at the age of 88.

Negray.jpg

OK, I am pretty pumped now about that Garvey 3x5 to be honest, maybe more so than this next item. However, this is a pretty big score for me all around. 1). It checks off an AS & Cy Young winner for my autograph collection 2). It checks off my 2nd biggest Dodger need of the moment! 3). Great action shot and on-card signature from a well respected set.

Max Scherzer! Would prefer a Dodger auto and maybe next year I will be able to find and afford one, but probably not. This will do for now, for sure. The guy has been amazing for the Dodgers this year, 7-0! Logged in his 3000th career strikeout and although I'd rather see Julio Urias get his 1st (i think he deserves it before Buehler), seems to be in contention for the NY Cy Young award yet again.

A very nice mail day for me.

Scherzer.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Not an auto, but there is a Dodger connection. My only worthy item of mention today.

Al Oliver President's Choice 1/1 Patch card. I liked the look, so I went for it. I think this is made by a firm in Canada, Brian Price is the guy behind the set. He worked at or ran Parkhurst in the early 90s, then started In The Game in the late 90s, which eventually merged with Leaf at some point. Now this is a new venture of his.

Not sure what to think and this will probably be my only dip into this brand, unless there is a Garvey item. I assume the patch is from a number, but it would have to be pretty small, maybe a smaller sleeve number if the Pirates did that? Otherwise it may have come from the Pirate name? Who knows...still a pretty cool looking card. Oliver 1-1.jpg

Members online

Latest posts