Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

MrMopar's New Dodgers Autograph Thread (and other interesting items on a slow mailday)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Only 1 card today, another Al Oliver Archives. This one a Phillies card /47. Probably part of why he is less collected, he bounced a lot, especially near the end of his career. Pirates, Rangers, Expos, Giants, Phillies, Dodgers & Blue Jays! He left Texas after the 81 Season and by 1985, had played in 5 more cities in those 4 years.Oliver 47.jpg

This is an exciting find for me. Back to the Pepsi club discussion, the Dodgers are my primary focus of this sub-collection and I handed 2 Pepsi Fan Club ticket booklets, 1971 and 1974! The rest of the stuff is tough enough, but unused tickets are not easy for any year it seems. I know I used mine when I was a Pepsi Jr Mariner! The 71 has a cover, which later years didn't seem to have. If I recall, my Mariner tickets looked very similar to the 74 Dodger book. Looks like 1 game was missing sadly from the 71 book, but 4 were still intact. The 74 book is complete as issued as far as I can tell. They will go with the rest of my stuff and someday I hope to have a display of all items together.

71 Pepsi.jpg74 Pepsi.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Something along the same lines, as there are no autographs in my mailbox today.

This is a 7UP Padres Kids Club flyer. I don't think I have bit already, but who knows. Sometimes I forget some of the weird stuff. Very happy to add it, because it's a unique Garvey item, but also related to the food sponsored kids clubs. 11 games for $2!? Not $2 a game, $2 total! WOW!!

Garvey 7UP Club Flyer.jpg

Not quite as cool, but kind of cool. This reminds me of the bubblegumless newspaper "cards" that have been issued over the years. This isn't quite what I consider that, but it is close enough and a definite cool add. From a 1984 World Series timed newspaper. The Tigers are featured as well near the back, but they are cramped into a page that has some ads too.IMG_0879.jpg

Letch77

Jan 28, 2018
Midwest
Reminds me of being a kid and asking my dad for the sports section so I could look up the White Sox box score and see how Frank Thomas did the night before! They had a little section where they'd show a headshot of the best MLB performers of the day - I'd always look directly to that section for Frank. :)

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I have not subscribed to a newspaper for years, but I will miss them for the cool photos and stuff like that.

Today brings a nice Garvey auto /10. I will provide a little history for those not in the know for this set. Back when Donruss was churning out the most parallels ever, the 2003 Legends of Summer series offered quite a chase. I'd have to go digging to remember what exactly was offered, but for each of the numbered parallel which had a different name (Decade, Century, etc), there was also another parallel called "notation". For example, in this case my card is a Decade parallel (/10), but is also the notation parallel. The notation is his jersey number "6". There were 3 other inscriptions that were also part of the notation parallel. So, not only were there 10 Decade cards numbered 1-10, but then there were also 4 separate "notations", each numbered 1-10 as well with the different inscriptions. In actuality, there are 50 decade cards numbered to 10 and 5 versions of each separate serial number (1, 2, 3, etc)! If I recall, the same pattern followed for cards numbered to 25, 75, 100, 150 and 250. I may be off in my memory, but it's close.

I have always collected the jersey number cards with a little more passion, but I have competition not only from another Garvey jersey number collector, but also other Garvey collectors who want any given card and then currently, a bunch of others who are all of the sudden paying strong for Garvey. If the 6/xx was the first card of it's kind, it usually sold VERY strongly, skewing the market for those watching, as subsequent copies would sell for less and less as others filled their want lists.

This Decade Notation version is 6/10. I will check when I put it away, but there is a good possibility that I have the rest of them with this same serial number. I got most when the product was new and I do recall having several 6/10 and I don't recall if I had all but one, so finds like this these days are rare for cards issued almost 20 years ago. If I do in fact have the Decade & all 4 Decade Notations numbered to 6, I will have to share this fact in a future post. Wish me luck...I may still be short.

Garvey 6-10.jpgGarvey 6-10 B.jpg

Last edited:

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Well, I don't even have the regular decade /6 and still missing 1 of the notations. No dice on a 6/ monopoly.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A mighty haul today. Still, in the midst of another USPS snafu that is delaying a major pick-up of mine! SERIOUSLY,WTF!? They always seem to lose stuff I really, really, really want!

The headliner is this Heritage Real One Red /57 Snider. Very nice card. 57 is a clean set and if they didn't use a giant face shot, they had some nice images on them. The Snider is no different.

Snider.jpg

After I featured it in my earlier post about Hundley, I decided to bin on the gold that was listed and nobody else bid. So, wasn't planning to, but added this one after all. /10.

Hundley 10.jpg

The is a decent card from a cool set. This is a gold /50. A Gonzalez.jpg

Final item is an 8x10 of Danile Coulombe, a brief Dodger. I don't think he even got a card in LA. Coulombe.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
2 parter today. first was the regular mail, with 2 adds.

a Victor Gonzalez in a cool design I liked. I remember sweating this guy because his opening day was the only auto game in town and they were selling for $30-40+. I don't recall what I paid for this, but probably under $10 delivered. V Gonzalez.jpg

The 2nd item is a Dodger connection, but also a Heritage connection. Out of all of the heritage cards Topps has done, something about the 61 design really grabs me. I have always loved the simplicity of it and signed vintage cards from 1961 are a favorite as well. Getting new players on this vintage design is a win/win! Gary Sheffield. Too bad this isn't a Dodger image as well. This is /26 and features Sheff as a Met. Sheff 26.jpg

Part 2 will be my COMC shipment. A pile of cheap. mostly autographs for the fun of it!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
The much anticipated "final" COMC shipment. This was going to possibly be the last shipment I took possession of after their service level dropped into the toilet last year. A commitment to change seems to be showing through, as my order ONLY took 49 days to ship.

Starting out with a pretty weak Garvey selection. Not much new showing up or getting snagged before I see it. The highlight is the bat rack /4, despite being a gross Leaf logo-less abomination. Garv.jpg

Followed by the only non-Dodger cards. Very excited for the Arod September Call Up Redemption card. I was lucky to snag a nice copy of the redeemed card and had the promo redemption sample, but the real redemption had eluded me. I felt this was an absolute steal at $15! Also included were the only 2 non-baseball cards, a Fan Fave Wesley Walker and a Score Jerome Pathon, a nice UW Husky connection for me. Rounding it out were some random cheap autos of Huff, Duchscherer, Reardon & Catalanotto. I think I just need one more Reardon to have all the variations, including the gold 1/1. Misc Au.jpg

Not as many Dodger autos in this batch as I normally grab. Part of that was adding new names who didn't have Dodger cards. Nobody new, but that OPC Wade card is wonderful. There is apparently a Russell Martin too, but I have not seen one. If you have it and are willing to part with it, please let me know. Reggie Smith, Jacob Amaya, Tony Gonsolin, James McDonald, Paul Konerko, Corey Wade X2), Matt Kemp w/ Franklin Gutierrez, Todd Hollandsworth & Josh Bell gold refractor /25. If this was a 2021 card, it would probably cost me $2000!!! I think I paid around $3-5. Stupid... Dod.jpg

The bulk of the shipment was former/future Dodgers, pictured in other uniforms. Several of these were new additions to the auto collection, but I had not counted them until now. As it sits, I still need 5 more signatures to bring me back to 100% for LA.

New unique auto adds include Jake Reed, James Sherfy, Billy McKinney, Yefry Ramirez, Conner Greene and Shane Greene. Then, a couple guys were picked up by the Dodgers and I was too quick to buy, as they never made the roster. They are either still in the minors, were sent elsewhere or out of baseball, but at one time were part of the Dodgers organization. The rest were one time Dodgers, all dupe signatures but perhaps new cards or just cheap enough to get dupes. I won't name them all, but guys like Vesia, Souza, Knebel, etc.

Non dod 1.jpgnon dod 2.jpg

Happy with the haul. I like quality, but having quantity is fun too.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I keep finding this Muncy card and it keeps getting cheaper. This is copy #3 and it was only around $7 plus s/h. Muncy.jpg

Another Archives, 87T Bill Madlock /59. Madlock 59.jpg

This is the fun lot. Probably my best score of the year at the rate I am going. It was apparently most of a lot sold originally through REA, parted out slightly and repackaged for ebay. The big hits of the original lot included Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella, none of which were included in this lot I won, of course. The seller sold the Rickey at the same time, but it went too high for my blood. However, a nice selection of names were included in the "left over" lot, including a few that are less common. Included were Dodgers:

Cal Abrams
Jack Banta
Rex Barney
Rocky Bridges
Billy Cox *
Chuck Dressen *
Bruce Edwards *
Carl Furillo *
Gene Hermanski
Kirby Higby
Gil Hodges *
Dixie Howell (x3) *
Spider Jorgensen
Cookie Lavagetto
Billy Loes
Sal Maglie *
Andy Pafko
Erv Palica *
Jake Pitler *
Bud Podbielan *
Pee Wee Reese *
Johnny Schmitz
Burt Shotten *
Shotgun Shuba
Clyde Sukeforth

I have ( * ) the guys I really like adding whenever I can find one, although none of them are new signatures for me.

Non- Dodgers:

Frankie Frisch (HOF)
Marty Marion

I saved the best for last. There was a mystery signature not mentioned in the description or on the JSA letter. I couldn't make it out and when the lot arrived today, I still was not sure. I looked up a couple variations of what I thought the name was, including Don Hendler, or Doc Hendler. Upon closer inspection, I thought I would try a W instead of an H. Turns out, it's Harold "Doc" Wendler, who was the Dodgers trainer from 1943-59. I was able to find that he was born in 1902 and died in 1984 in Baton Rouge, LA, so he lived a full life. His signature is probably not in great demand, but then again it is probably not found in great supply either, so it found a perfect home with me! He even has his own "card", well, sort of. He is pictured on a 1955 Golden Stamp with Carl Furillo. Still, pretty neat for a trainer to show up on a collectible.

Dodger Cuts.jpgDoc Wendler Au.jpgWendler & Furillo.jpg

dano7

Aug 7, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I keep finding this Muncy card and it keeps getting cheaper. This is copy #3 and it was only around $7 plus s/h. View attachment 315231

Another Archives, 87T Bill Madlock /59. View attachment 315232

This is the fun lot. Probably my best score of the year at the rate I am going. It was apparently most of a lot sold originally through REA, parted out slightly and repackaged for ebay. The big hits of the original lot included Branch Rickey, Jackie Robinson and Roy Campanella, none of which were included in this lot I won, of course. The seller sold the Rickey at the same time, but it went too high for my blood. However, a nice selection of names were included in the "left over" lot, including a few that are less common. Included were Dodgers:

Cal Abrams
Jack Banta
Rex Barney
Rocky Bridges
Billy Cox *
Chuck Dressen *
Bruce Edwards *
Carl Furillo *
Gene Hermanski
Kirby Higby
Gil Hodges *
Dixie Howell (x3) *
Spider Jorgensen
Cookie Lavagetto
Billy Loes
Sal Maglie *
Andy Pafko
Erv Palica *
Jake Pitler *
Bud Podbielan *
Pee Wee Reese *
Johnny Schmitz
Burt Shotten *
Shotgun Shuba
Clyde Sukeforth

I have ( * ) the guys I really like adding whenever I can find one, although none of them are new signatures for me.

Non- Dodgers:

Frankie Frisch (HOF)
Marty Marion

I saved the best for last. There was a mystery signature not mentioned in the description or on the JSA letter. I couldn't make it out and when the lot arrived today, I still was not sure. I looked up a couple variations of what I thought the name was, including Don Hendler, or Doc Hendler. Upon closer inspection, I thought I would try a W instead of an H. Turns out, it's Harold "Doc" Wendler, who was the Dodgers trainer from 1943-59. I was able to find that he was born in 1902 and died in 1984 in Baton Rouge, LA, so he lived a full life. His signature is probably not in great demand, but then again it is probably not found in great supply either, so it found a perfect home with me! He even has his own "card", well, sort of. He is pictured on a 1955 Golden Stamp with Carl Furillo. Still, pretty neat for a trainer to show up on a collectible.

View attachment 315233View attachment 315234View attachment 315235
That is a GREAT addition....WOW!!

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am venting a little bit here, so this will be a lengthy read. Proceed at your own risk...or scroll down to the pics.

Another pretty good haul. I am frustrated though because a very big pick-up is lost in USPS hell right now and I should have had it a long time ago. Order date was 10/24! Still MIA. They originally tried to deliver sig confirmation, but to my neighbor. who has the same house number and a similar street name I went to the PO that day, but they didn't have item. Maybe it was still in the carriers hand. A few days later, I run into my carrier, who was actually off the day it was first attempted for delivery. He didn't have it, so I go back to the PO that day, 2nd time trying to get this in person. They still can't find it, send me to the annex office. They can't find it either, wondering why the main PO sent me there. They said it should be at the main PO. They take my number and said their investigate but no call in at least a week. Supposedly it'll be sent back to sender on 11/14, but how if they can't find it?! So frustrating. Carrier thinks someone misfiled it in the holding area, but the PO is not that big and I have a tracking number and a pic of the package. I tell you, this is INCOMPETENCE at it's finest!

I'll start it out with another story. Am I just incredibly unlucky or what? I swear I have more problems than average! I buy this item (garvey auto - the actual item to be revealed at the end) at auction from a new seller in August Ends for around $45. Before I even see that I had won, the seller cancels my order. I message them why and they explain it was a mistake. The item is mine at the auction price. I tell them it's best to relist it as a BIN, but only for me. Disguise it a little, so my rivals can't swoop in and steal it away. We do a couple back and forth messages, and by the way, it was the last night of a bucks promotion, so wanted to get the points too. Seller never relists. I message a few more times, but get no reply. I finally figure the guy has decided he can get more or maybe someone tried to back door it. I'm pissed, so I leave negative feedback and also win the only other item he was selling at the time, a cheap Panini basketball RC for about $11. I don't pay, of course, and he filed a non-paying bidder report. Never responds to my emails. I figure I am screwed, ebay can't/won't do anything, nothing more I can do. I reluctantly move on.

A couple weeks ago, the card pops back up again at auction! The seller has only a few feedback and a score of around 88%. I place a bid with my ID. No reaction, no message, nothing. However, I decide that I am going to win this card no matter the price. I debate whether or not to leave it alone and see if it sells for way less, since I would not be a player, but Garvey autos are a hot commodity lately, so I figure if I don't win, I miss out for a point that won't sink in. I enlist my 2nd ebay ID, just in case this guy ends up blocking me. I set a stupid high snipe and of course, I won it from him. I decide I'm just not going to pay, as it sold for about $85 this time, and I am not paying double for a card I should already have in my hands. I wait a couple days, then start scheming. What if I pay, he sends it and I just claim I didn't get it. Ebay almost always sides with the buyer. Most packages have tracking, so what are the chances this one won't? I decide not to take the low road and instead ask him what haoppened the last time he tried to sell it (since his feedback painted a clear story for whoever wanted to look).

He claimed that he had gotten sick right after the item ended (Covid) and that he had offered the buyer a shot at it before relisting it this time. SO MANY THINGS went through my head, as to how I was going to handle this. Clearly, that was not correct, a lie if you will. I decided to string him along in the first part of the email, then revealed that I was in fact the original buyer. He replied and stuck to his claim, insisting that he tried to contact me. Here is where it gets weird (and a little cool).

I then suggest that what he should do is cancel this auction, relist it for me with a crazy high BIN, I'd offer at the original purchase price and he'd accept, since he claims he offered it to me. If that sounds ridiculous to you, it did to me and I was fully involved. I mean, someone was willing to pay $84 as underbidder. I figured the guy would tell me to eff off and sell to the underbidder. To my surprise he agreed and it was relisted a short time later for $200 OBO. I made my offer (with the original user ID that won it the first time) and he accepted! It was a Friday, after business hours, so I waited. nothing Saturday and again nothing Monday as far as updates, so I asked if he had a chace to mail it Saturday or today and he said no, but he would definitely mail Tuesday. This made me a little nervous. Maybe now he was playing around with me...

However, a tracking number was posted late the next day and it was moving. I was that it reached the Seattle area Wednesday, but with veteran's Day, I was not getting it until today. Sure enough, tracking showed delivered today, so I went out and got the mail. I found the package and actually filmed me opening it, just in case he tried something else like an empty package, a different card, a mangled card or some other tricky my brain would think up. To my relief and a little surpise, the card was in there in top shape! I have to hand it to this seller, he came through and did the right thing, even after I had been a little bit of a jerk. I had some reason to act the way I did, but he stepped up and delivered when he did not have to do so. I called ebay today and they are going to delete the negative feedback. I think it ended very well, especially since I got my card at the price I won it for in August. It just took almost 3 months. The card...???

2021 Stadium Club Red auto parallel /50, serial number 6/50 (Jersey edition)! Garvey 6-50.jpg

I also landed this Gold Label Garvey au /25. New Garvey autos are not easy to win at what I feel is a reasonable price. i've said this numerous times in the last 3-6 months...something weird is happening with Garvey and I have no idea why, but it is affecting me and my buying habits. i am missing more new Garvey cards than I ever have in the history of my collecting, but I have come to terms with it + not willing to spend what unknowns are spending to win most of these cards. thankfully, I still manage to snag a few I really like. Garvey 25 Gold Label.jpg

Next up is a nice Hoyt Wilhelm signed PC. I have stated that i would love to have a certified Dodger auto card from Hoyt, but I am not aware of one being made. This image would make a great card. Wilhelm.jpg

Next is a batch of 11 Albuquerque Dukes team/sponsor issued signed photos. Printed on thin, somewhat glossy paper, these appear to have been given out either at the sponsor, (university Volkswagen in Albuquerque, NM) Duke events/games or maybe both. I have a few of these from a long time ago and managed this sizable lot recently. Most are scrubs who never made the majors or had a brief taste, so I won't boor you with them all, but a couple from the team in that era had decent careers (Pedro Guerrero, Rick Sutcliffe, Dave Stewart, Mike Scioscia). I can't recall if they all had one, as none of those listed were in my lot. However, the one I will use as an example is a fairly obscure autograph of Alex Taveras. @Therion will certainly recognize and appreciate the player. I may have a complete set between signed and unsigned versions of these photos. Great, obscure regional oddball/odd sized set that only a small percentage like me could likely fully appreciate. 11.jpg

Last item is not Dodger or autograph related, and is oddly enough, a duplicate pick up for me. When I first saw this, I had to have it. I paid what the seller was asking, even though it was more than I would have wanted to normally. I figured I'd never see another again, so now was my chance. I tried to find info on it and came up empty. I have to assume it was some sort of POS promotion or maybe a prize in a contest? Modeled after the RC Cola cans of the late 70s, this is a transistor radio with Johnny Bench on it. When I bought my other one, it also came with a trucker mesh ballcap, which i figured was also an item i've never see again. So here i am with my 2nd JB radio! This was was cheaper than the first one and apparently works, according to the seller. Said he was barely able to bring up something when he tried it.. The first one had an old battery that had leaked and I broke the terminal trying to remove the battery. This one was clean, with a new battery (which I promptly removed). I don't care if it actually works, although its cool if it does. I don't want another battery leakage.

Another wildly oddball issue that probably had a little more national appeal, with Johnny Bench, but still something not many would care about. This is the stuff that keeps me in the game! s-l1600.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
That is way more energy than I would have wasted on some jerk seller. Cool card, though.
Normally, I'd let it pass with little more than a negative feedback, but this card was a little more special. I won the rainbow /10, but have not been able to land any other versions. I don't go all out for every 6/xx card anymore, because even when I do win the ones I really want, I feel like I got cheated because of what I have to normally pay to win any of them. I am very happy, yet surprised that I ended up with it. In the end, the seller either really was a good guy who made an honest mistake or thought I was just crazy enough to feel the need to let me have the card.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Just one in yesterday. I hope to be able to share that one that is in USPS purgatory, which I should have had weeks ago. Today tracking updated to say that a return to sender notice was filed. It's great that the PO can keep track of packages to return, but they can't find it to deliver the damn thing! I am going to be very upset if this one goes lost for good. it's unfair if they actually return it, then the seller has to pay to ship it again or maybe he just decides not to bother because of my incompetent PO!

Anyway, here is my one addition, a duplicate Archive /11. I don't recall the year now, as 2021 was at least the 3rd year that had Garvey cards in them. Besides the serial numbers (as some cards are duplicated between years), you can tell from the placement and color of the foil sticker. 2021 stickers are in the center of the holder and are black or blue I think (w/o pulling one out). This is on the right and gold foil. Maybe last year or a prior year. Garvey 11.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
Going to cheat a little, since today's mail has not delivered yet. However, I got this card today, but only because I made my 3rd (and final) trip to the PO in hopes of convincing them to look harder for it. It should have been in my hands on Oct 26! This is the item that had the attempted delivery, but at my neighbors house. then after 2 trips to the PO to try to pick it up, they couldn't find it. This past Sunday, the tracking number undated to being returned to sender, but of course it never updated from there. Today was my last ditch effort.

As it usually seems, something I really really want and would be difficult if not impossible to replace, the PO seems to temporarily lose those items. A signed Garvey 8x10 that i don't have, but is not a hard image to replace...those deliver every time!

So, finally this nugget arrives safety into my collection. I reluctantly overpaid. This is one exception, where the need to have a specific card overrode the common sense to pay what I felt it was worth vs what I would have to pay to win it. I know this set is popular, but this is not a $100+ card in my mind, ever. When I learned that Garvey would be in the 1972 Heritage set, I was excited. When I learned he would be in the Flashback subset, I was less excited. I knew I would need to chase a base auto, a red auto /72 (which I still do not have, also not a $100+ card in my opinion) and the flashback GU/AU /25. Glad that he was featured, but with the market the way it has been and the weird Garvey spike, I knew it would cost me dearly to keep myself in the game for this stuff. Last year would have been better, as it is his rookie campaign, but it was not to be. Not sure how much longer Topps can run this out with the whole licensing thing. it's a shame too, as this is definitely a cool run of modern with a nod to history.

Garvey Heritage 25.jpg

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
I am really starting to welcome my new role as grumpy old man in the card collecting world. With all the craziness of late with absurd prices on almost everything out there, a new breed of "collectors" in the game, postage woes of all kinds and the general unappealing and uncreative offerings from most of the card makers, I find it easier and easier to consider ending my run and start focusing on the big sell off. A seldom seen oddball piece will suck me back in for a spell, but eventually that wears off with the masses of uninspired crap that we are being fed now constantly pelting me in searches. My new card buying has been extremely limited for years, so this would not be a tough leap to make.

When I think of how much is being spent on licensed and even unlicensed garbage being produced and scooped up without a 2nd thought, it makes me think even more that a movement towards art might be a more appealing avenue to continue down. What seemingly started as a run of cheap ACEO and custom cards has blossomed into a trend of creating a quality piece that could easily be described as a miniature piece of art in itself. Most of us forbid ourselves from either buying them or paying much, as we deem them "unlicensed" or worse yet, modern "broders" for lack of a wider term to use. Now, only the latter I would use to describe the "limited" print cards and those that are clearly homemade junk that can be churned out in an unlimited quantity as long as a buyer is forking over cash. For those offerings that are much more involved, they are truly the little pieces of art I am talking about.

I have talked about these a few times and the "brand" names that stand out to me right now are Helmar, Banty Red and Sporting Life. Honestly, i do not own any new Helmar cards, but they seem to be in the same category as the other two. I do own several Banty and Sporting Life cards though and have seen them in person. Those three seem to have found their way to the top of the custom art card game. These are not your cheaply printed images, stolen custom designs or any of the other garbage that people are pumping out...these are handcrafted works that must require time and effort and a certain level of passion from their creators. If there was a way to reach a larger audience without sacrificing the quality of the card, I could see these taking over until such time as the licensing police step in. I guess that is what makes them so great. They are still mostly affordable like a run of the mill modern insert or parallel card made by the majors, but made in limited quantity by an independent.

This is my latest acquisition. I think it is marvelous! It is borrowing a vintage design that is not all that commonly seen and creating something unique. I know that there won't be 100s of these, let alone even as few a dozen. Maybe a handful, maybe this is the only one they make?

In the end, if I am going to spend my money on cards any longer, I would rather get something that I truly enjoy. Sporting Life is providing me that here and I'll pay more for something like this than I would give to a Topps or Panini for most of their stale crap that is either overproduced or artificially rare! How is that for modern hobby thinking, paying more for a "broder" than for a regular issue card! Sy Berger is turning in his grave right now!! It feels like I am asking folks to support their local business when a Walmart moves into town and in some ways, the comparison is similar. If you have not checked out one of these custom card makers, I recommend that you do. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

s-l1600.jpg

Therion

Nov 19, 2008
Looooooosiana!
The emerging art market for baseball is incredible. One of my favorite Darryl Kile pieces is a commissioned piece by an artist using the moniker of Moonlight Graham.

mrmopar

Jan 19, 2010
A nice little vintage group for today.

Clem Labine on the greatest card design ever! 1956 Topps. Labine.jpg

Wally Moon 1960 Topps Moon.jpg

Ron Perranoski 1964 Topps. Perranoski.jpg

Don Newcombe on a team 5x7 photo pack item. Newk.jpg

The recently deceased Bill Sudakis on a cool card that I believe was his last. Tough to see the signature, but it's there. Sudakis.jpg

Willard Hunter dual signed 3x5, as he apparently always seemed to do on requests. Willard Hunter.jpg

Almost forgot about this Archives Charles Johnson. s-l1600-1.jpg

Then to top it off, a Garvey poster I have never seen before. It was not cheap, which makes my cheapskate self cringe a bit, but figured I am buying less these days, so it's OK to overpay for something really unique. s-l1600.jpg