Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

My First Beckett Certified Appraisal 2005 Bowman A-Rod Throwback Autographs #94A Alex Rodriguez

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
You not seeing a superfractor does not mean it doesn't exist. Why would it being not autographed make it automatically the super?

It's more likely it was meant to be a chrome non-auto, and the template for the autographed designation got used. It was probably then subsequently scrapped. I just don't get how you think Beckett made a mistake in listing a "SF" designation, but then you tell me that I should contact them about it.

You sure seem to have some wild speculations about my card and that is fine, you are certainly entitled to your opinion about the card but I have done quite a bit of research about this card.

Again any help you or anyone can provide with determining what card this exactly is would be very much appreciated.

All I ask is that you not state your opinions as fact unless they are fact and there is proof.

MansGame

Sep 25, 2009
Dallas, TX
Here are some facts (1) If no one has seen a card, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist (2) If a POP report says 1, that doesn't mean it's a 1/1 (3) Beckett isn't perfect and makes mistakes

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
Please show me on this scan of your slab where it says "/1"

If you look on the back of the scan of this card there are two spots for the autograph authentication stickers. One is a square sticker one is a triangle sticker. The triangle sticker would have had the 1/1 designation on the sticker.

You can also note by the Beckett graded serial number and the population report they think it is the of one card or /1 card as well even though they do not have it on the label.

This is the only version this card could be. If anyone else has any ideas of what other card this could be I am willing to listen and research it.

I cannot comment on if this card was meant to be a template or a card that was supposed to be scrapped or anything like that. I don't believe that's the case because Clay Luracshi did confirm back in 2005 it was pulled from a pack.

I would imagine back in 2005 if there was a test card or template or other weird card it would have been identified as such from Topps.

All I can go by are the facts I have about the card and what I have researched.

A_Pharis

You sure seem to have some wild speculations about my card and that is fine, you are certainly entitled to your opinion about the card but I have done quite a bit of research about this card.

Again any help you or anyone can provide with determining what card this exactly is would be very much appreciated.

All I ask is that you not state your opinions as fact unless they are fact and there is proof.
Um.

I showed an example of Superfractor 1/1's from that set - that would be a fact.
I said Beckett lists the /1 as a "SF" superfractor (of which there are examples in this set) - which is also a fact.
I said your slab does not show "/1" or any other designation of a one of one - that is a fact, too.
I said that there have been other backdoored cards making it into packs (or otherwise released) - fact, again.
I have pointed out that the "appraisal" has no tie to the specific card that you have since Beckett's "appraisal" basically says "Tell us from our checklist what card you have and we will say what it is worth" - and you guessed it. Fact again.

In FACT, you have provided some pretty good proof that it's not a 1/1, yourself...

-You use the same username here as you did on BO, where you discussed this card and were shown other examples of it.
-You posted the scan of it in the slab showing that it's not a 1/1

If anything, I think the biggest mistake was whoever entered it on Beckett's database choosing the card from a checklist instead of actually listing what the card is.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/123804-error-cards-beckett.html

This whole saga is, without a doubt my favorite thing in the hobby right now.

Dave, you should list your card on ebay with a $1200 reserve, just to see what the final high bid is. You will have an accurate valuation of your card, and if it doesn't meet the $1200 reserve, you will get to keep it. Listing fees will probably be less than the Beckett appraisal.

Shoot, I would think you can pimp your card all over FCB and wherever else, and nobody would mind. A lot of folks are curious about this. I would pay $10 for it just to have a piece of hobby folklore in my collection.

mudflap02

Jan 23, 2009
Daytona Beach, FL
Forgot to mention - Hall of Shame.

Surprised nobody has called it yet, already on page 4. I will guess 1 pages before this ends up getting locked and moved to HOS.

A_Pharis

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/forum/baseball/123804-error-cards-beckett.html

This whole saga is, without a doubt my favorite thing in the hobby right now.

Dave, you should list your card on ebay with a $1200 reserve, just to see what the final high bid is. You will have an accurate valuation of your card, and if it doesn't meet the $1200 reserve, you will get to keep it. Listing fees will probably be less than the Beckett appraisal.

Shoot, I would think you can pimp your card all over FCB and wherever else, and nobody would mind. A lot of folks are curious about this. I would pay $10 for it just to have a piece of hobby folklore in my collection.
Part of me thinks he's the Robin YOunt SportFlix card guy.

A_Pharis

Forgot to mention - Hall of Shame.

Surprised nobody has called it yet, already on page 4. I will guess 1 pages before this ends up getting locked and moved to HOS.
I wanted to lock it sooner and went back on it just to see if it headed where I thought it was headed.

"It headed."

It won't be locked. It'll be a paradox of internet searches - two forums returning the same... exact... thread.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
Um.

I showed an example of Superfractor 1/1's from that set - that would be a fact.
I said Beckett lists the /1 as a "SF" superfractor (of which there are examples in this set) - which is also a fact.
I said your slab does not show "/1" or any other designation of a one of one - that is a fact, too.
I said that there have been other backdoored cards making it into packs (or otherwise released) - fact, again.
I have pointed out that the "appraisal" has no tie to the specific card that you have since Beckett's "appraisal" basically says "Tell us from our checklist what card you have and we will say what it is worth" - and you guessed it. Fact again.

In FACT, you have provided some pretty good proof that it's not a 1/1, yourself...

-You use the same username here as you did on BO, where you discussed this card and were shown other examples of it.
-You posted the scan of it in the slab showing that it's not a 1/1

If anything, I think the biggest mistake was whoever entered it on Beckett's database choosing the card from a checklist instead of actually listing what the card is.

You showed me a card but I don't know if it is from that set or not as I have never seen that card before. I guess there were SuperFractors in that set but not one for the card I have I don't think.

The only way to know for sure would be through Topps.

Also again I think there was an original mistake designating this card as a SF or SuperFractor but again this could probably only be verified through Topps

The slab does not show on the slab as a 1/1 or /1 card but if you put the graded serial number into the Beckett website they do indeed refer to it as a /1

I don't think if a card was backdoored that it would have made it into a pack then? Either a card comes from a pack or is backdoored but I don;t think it can be both unless I am misunderstanding somehow?

From what I understand Beckett Certified Appraisal is just that an appraisal. I guess you are right that anyone can claim they have anything and get an apprasail but I am unsure why anyone would do that other than for fraudulent reasons.

I have asked Beckett to re-designate this card as an error in the population report and checklist but they have not done so and have told me they won't so I have no control over that part.

I want to be clear also I am not trying to argue or troll in any way. I am just answering questions people have asked and am trying to learn more about my card.

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
http://www.blowoutcards.com/images/baseball/checklist/2005bowmanchromeBB.pdf

Look at the 3rd page... bottom right corner:

AUTOGRAPHS:
A-Rod Throwback Autographed Base Cards
94A-AR Alex Rodriguez

They were probably scrapped due to printing mistakes.
I don't think they were scrapped due to printing mistakes but am open to that if there is any proof?

There were four arod throwback card versions both autograph and unautographed versions.

I have seen quite a few of the other throwback autographs and can confirm they do exist.

I would love to know what my card is for sure and hope to someday but have not gotten very much help from Topps with it.

MartinFFcollector

Aug 7, 2008
CA.
July 3rd 2013 or 2005?

Ok so I did my first BCA today as a test. I filled out the information back on July 3rd and it just cleared today.

I am curious what others think. It is a BGS graded card and listed below is the serial number and identifiers.

What does everyone think it would be valued at?

Card Serial Number: 0004133288

Set Name : 2005 Bowman Chrome A-Rod Throwback Autographs
Player Name : A.Rodriguez 1994 SF/1
Date Graded : Tuesday, February 28, 2006
Centering Grade : 9.5
Corner Grade : 9.5
Edges Grade : 9.5
Surfaces Grade : 8.5
Autograph Grade : Not Available
Final Grade : 9.0

DAVEPETERS239

Banned
May 8, 2013
July 3rd 2013 or 2005?
Oh I am sorry the original card was graded I guess in 2006 by its original owner, the gentleman who pulled it from a pack.

I recently, July 3rd 2013 had it appraised by Beckett with their new appraisal service they offer and it just came back today with the value it was appraised at.

Latest posts