Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Newbie Collector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HornsUpLA

Aug 24, 2016
Alright my seasoned collectors, I got a few questions!

So, obviously, this is a new hobby for me. I was curious as to what's best out there for sets?

I'm looking to collect football cards, maybe a set of basketball and baseball(based off who my uncle got picked up by).

Now, I know there are the brands Panini and Topps. I know each have sets like Flawless(P), Contender(P), Chrome(T), Finest(T) etc...Which brand/set is best? I mean, spending $100 on a box to get cards worth low $$$ would suck, so at the end of the day(or years) who to pick for price, rarity, variety?

I bought my first hobby box of Finest last week and scored a couple decent cards, atleast to me anyways. Which is preferred from collectors? Highest dollar value? Best #'d cards etc?

Thanks for the help guys, if there is any questions in regards to what else I'm looking for just shoot a question my way and I'll answer. Any help is appreciated!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

tramers

Aug 7, 2008
hickory nc
Spend a lot of time just reading the post on here . Most boxes will be low return on $$ . Try to buy sealed boxes .

gt2590

Super Moderator
Aug 17, 2008
Near Philly
Sealed boxes? Arnt they all sealed?

He was thinking you might buy online boxes and sometimes dealers sell un-sealed boxes that have already had the better cards taken out of them and they consolidate packs left over into "boxes" that don't really have many great cards left in them.

It's really hard to narrow down one thing/set/type of card to collect. Most collect either by their favorite team or player and don't really worry about collecting a certain set or style. Usually the autographed rookie cards hold the most value but overall it's more important to just collect what you think is cool.

Gurley and Goff are probably the most expensive Rams to try and collect but they have alot of other good players you might start to like who are very affordable. Heck, you might get the cards from one set for just your team. They even have pre-packaged team sets made by Topps and Panini.

BTW, if your Uncle was just drafted there's a baseball draft set in November from Bowman (T) but some other companies might already have cards of him...

HornsUpLA

Aug 24, 2016
He was thinking you might buy online boxes and sometimes dealers sell un-sealed boxes that have already had the better cards taken out of them and they consolidate packs left over into "boxes" that don't really have many great cards left in them.

Are there reliable online dealers that are known to be trusted? Or not for that matter....

I have ordered from DAcardworld. My first boxes of Topps Finest came with some decent cards, a few Autos/#'d Tyler Lockette and a #'d/25 golden Tate to name a couple.

Just trying to take a safe route. I want to go back as far as I can with a Rams collection. Hopefully get lucky enough to pull together the 'greatest show on turf' team.

I also just recently bought Panini signatures and prestige boxes. Was thinking on checking the contenders next. However, I know the NFL is going to have Panini exclusively pack cards and Topps will lose contract(except digital).

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
Dacardworld and blowoutcards are the two online sites I buy from. If you're looking to get into group breaks I always liked firehandcards and cards infinity on youtube.

As for boxes... everything is a gamble. For me I buy boxes I know to have a mix of young and old players. I don't prospect so bowman and those types don't interest me. Find a set you like with hits you'd be comfortable getting and living with.

Like some people stated start with your team or players you admire and start digging. Plenty of sites for cards like ebay, comc and the becket marketplace.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

HornsUpLA

Aug 24, 2016
Is it worth getting the cards I get, numbered/autos/etc, and getting them graded by PSA? I would assume that increases the value.

Thanks for the help guys, it's greatly appreciated!!

gitarst182

Sep 17, 2011
Washington
I really only get cards graded to keep them safe. I currently have everything on display in my son's room at the moment.

Get them graded if you intend on selling them down the road hoping for a profit. I think the general rule here with grading is use PSA for anything 90s and earlier? 2000s and up use BGS. Though if you go earlier than the 40s I see a lot of SGC grading.

Being football mainly though I don't know how well the market varies with high/mid/low range cards being graded.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Freedom Card Board mobile app

Members online