Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nov Night Crew

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
I've been to busy to post this, the days are slipping by.

Did everyone have a spooky Halloween? I haven't seen kids in years, I wonder if they even do it anymore. :unsure:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
I haven't been at my home for halloween in years, for one reason or another. Usually the reason is that I voyage up to my brother's place in Wyoming to spend it with him and his family (and my birthday is Oct 30 so that's another reason to get together).

Up there, they generally have a good amount of kids come by. But not as many this year. We put out a big bowl of candy, and it disappeared, but the number of kids who came by was way down.

As far as my niece and nephew, we took them to "trunk or treat", where locals pulled up in a parking lot and handed out candy from the trunks of their cars. Nearby businesses also had candy to hand out.

What gets me is that this whole event had way more people, in much closer proximity, than your normal activity of walking around the neighborhood and knocking on doors. And it was in broad daylight, which is not as spooky as nighttime, right?

But ah, whatevs. A good time was had by all, and it was a nice weekend.

Hope all youse guys out there are well, and enjoyed the weekend too.

finestkind

Aug 17, 2008
Boston
It used to be fun to watch people around here bring their young kids and toddlers up to the door, all dressed up. My wife loved it. Then about 10 or more years ago it started being kids in the mid teens and some older. Some didn't even attempt to any costumes. Now hardly anyone is out.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
As far as my niece and nephew, we took them to "trunk or treat", where locals pulled up in a parking lot and handed out candy from the trunks of their cars. Nearby businesses also had candy to hand out.
Trunk or Treat sounds super scary to me! Sounds like a pedo who chops them in little pieces and puts the kids in his guitar trunk or something. 🤨 Hope you had a special Bday and didn't embarass yourself too much after getting drunk! 😗

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
It used to be fun to watch people around here bring their young kids and toddlers up to the door, all dressed up. My wife loved it. Then about 10 or more years ago it started being kids in the mid teens and some older. Some didn't even attempt to any costumes. Now hardly anyone is out.
Teens and young adults instead of kids?!

Give the teens a Nofap booklet instead of candy! 😄

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Never heard back, hopefully the person who won it will list it somewhere. It was a serial number break so it's not like someone specifically bought his spot or the team.

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Never heard back, hopefully the person who won it will list it somewhere. It was a serial number break so it's not like someone specifically bought his spot or the team.
Yeah, when guys luck into a strong slot pull like that usually they sell it to buy more slots... addicts!! :cool:

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yo Homiez!

Tonight I'm just working through details of basement window installation. Home repair is now the bulk of my life, for better or worse.

Pickups for the ol' PC are still trickling in. Nothing major lately, mostly cards in the $5-30 range. Haven't been buying much new stuff, which makes me feel good since that was a new years resolution for me. My 2020 card count is 51, out of 512 available unique issues, so right at 10%. I'm much more excited to land new cards from Robbie's playing career.

Here are a few arrivals from the last week or so:

IMG_8204.JPG

First one is a 2020 issue - Panini Select 1993 Retro Materials Gold /10. This set seems to have come and gone without much fanfare, but I like it. They modeled it after the 1993 Select cards, which I really dug at the time. So I decided to chase the rainbow. Just missing the 1/1.

Second is 2002 Fleer Maximum Power (Retail). I have the two game used versions with little bat chips, including the gold /25, but the "base" insert card without the bat is sneaky hard to find. Stupid retail parallels! But finally it popped up.

Third one is 2003 Playoff Prestige Patches of MLB /25. Just your basic early 2000's GU insert. Fills a hole in the collection and that's about it.

Fourth one is 2005 Donruss Prime Patches Portraits Dual Letter/Number Patches /13. From the dying days of Donruss, where they put out some pretty uninspired sets. But for whatever reason, I seem to like this set...and its zillion parallels. There are 37 variations of this card, with different bat/jersey/auto combinations. Goes to show you there really is no accounting for taste.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
I like the Panini retro card, looks like it probably pops a lot more in hand. Panini does some good stuff, there's no reason they shouldn't have an mlb license, their stuff would likely be even better and more people would actively chase it

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Great cards man, especially that Prime Patches. I always liked that set.

Recently I sold that Mo Vaughn Crusade to JRad, it looks like the refractor warped in the shipping process :(. . . do you guys know the insurance policy against such a thing?

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Yeah, it's nice in hand.

And I agree, Panini definitely comes up with some nice designs. All things considered I think their offerings are on par with Topps, and I wish they could get a damn MLB license. It pisses me off that they don't have one. The only party that benefits from the current monopoly is Topps. Not collectors, not MLB or its players, and certainly not other companies. But corporate America is what it is, and we all have to suck it.

I like the Panini retro card, looks like it probably pops a lot more in hand. Panini does some good stuff, there's no reason they shouldn't have an mlb license, their stuff would likely be even better and more people would actively chase it

banjar

Mar 22, 2015
Lafayette, Colorado
Thanks man. Why you like that set, I can't imagine. Must be for the same unfathomable reasons I do.

Sorry, but I'm no help on the insurance end of shipping high end cards. WTF with that kind of luck...

Great cards man, especially that Prime Patches. I always liked that set.

Recently I sold that Mo Vaughn Crusade to JRad, it looks like the refractor warped in the shipping process :(. . . do you guys know the insurance policy against such a thing?

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
Thanks man. Why you like that set, I can't imagine. Must be for the same unfathomable reasons I do.

Sorry, but I'm no help on the insurance end of shipping high end cards. WTF with that kind of luck...
Its going to be like asking the DMV for help, I wish him luck... probably wasn't warped enough to get anything changed. Good thing I gave him a crazy deal, unlike you who I'm planning to fleece!! :whistle:

JVHaste

Jun 22, 2015
Vancouver WA
But I'm still interested in that Crusade Red Alomar that I know you're sandbagging away in your archives...
Speaking of which, I've cornered the market on these, and your one chance at seeing them alive is summoning the FredFred Superfractor to me. :cool:

Jokes aside, has anyone even seen that card? I know the Longoria Super gets a lot of attention but never seen the F2 Super.

Members online

Latest posts