Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Obscure player collections?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Awesome man!! Great pickup. You got a picture??

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
Just the listing pics. Haven't had a chance to scan them for the website yet.

frye1.jpgfrye2.jpgFrye3.jpgFrye4.jpg

Didn't want to jinx it since the auction was still active but I picked up a 1995 Upper Deck Electric Diamond Gold Jeff Frye last night too that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I hadn't ever seen one listed until it was mentioned here.

I'm going to regret staying up to 0100 this morning while I'm at work today but I wasn't letting it get away. Of course it sold for my original $0.99 bid and I could have been in bed early but if I hadn't watched it end then someone would have stolen it for $0.50 over my top bid right? Right? PC player delusions lol.
Frye Gold Diamond.jpg

dstrawberryfan39

Oct 16, 2013

View attachment 118332View attachment 118333View attachment 118334View attachment 118335

Didn't want to jinx it since the auction was still active but I picked up a 1995 Upper Deck Electric Diamond Gold Jeff Frye last night too that was mentioned earlier in this thread. I hadn't ever seen one listed until it was mentioned here.

I'm going to regret staying up to 0100 this morning while I'm at work today but I wasn't letting it get away. Of course it sold for my original $0.99 bid and I could have been in bed early but if I hadn't watched it end then someone would have stolen it for $0.50 over my top bid right? Right? PC player delusions lol.
View attachment 118337
Those are great!! Very nice pick-ups!! What we do for the hobby we love!!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA

View attachment 118337

Congrats! There were a couple I still needed that I set snipes on that I thought were way more than enough and I ended up losing them. All of the Series 2 Electric Diamond Golds are tough, but I've got to believe some were short printed. I've got 7 of 9 Series 2 A's but these were the first I can recall seeing of these particular players, and if you had never seen a Frye....some players have got to be super rare.

Last edited:

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Congrats! There were a couple I still needed that I set snipes on that I thought were may more than enough and I ended up losing them. All of the Series 2 Electric Diamond Golds are tough, but I've got to believe some were short printed. I've got 7 of 9 Series 2 A's but these were the first I can recall seeing of these particular players, and if you had never seen a Frye....some players have got to be super rare.

This is the first Frye I've seen for sale. There is a picture of it on tradingcardddb but the user who uploaded the pic said he sold or traded the Frye he had years ago and hasn't seen another. I don't know if it is that they're SP'd (most of the print runs for all sets in 1995 were drastically reduced thanks to the strike), if it is just that retail exclusives from that late 90s era are unusually tough (1998 Stadium Club First Day Issues come to mind - another Frye I still need), or just that Frye is a common and no one bothers to list him except in a set break type situation. I have the feeling it is a perfect storm of all there which makes me very happy to have it on its way to me.

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
westmichsports is the seller that had it. He said he's breaking a set and would be listing them all at some point.

This is the first Frye I've seen for sale. There is a picture of it on tradingcardddb but the user who uploaded the pic said he sold or traded the Frye he had years ago and hasn't seen another. I don't know if it is that they're SP'd (most of the print runs for all sets in 1995 were drastically reduced thanks to the strike), if it is just that retail exclusives from that late 90s era are unusually tough (1998 Stadium Club First Day Issues come to mind - another Frye I still need), or just that Frye is a common and no one bothers to list him except in a set break type situation. I have the feeling it is a perfect storm of all there which makes me very happy to have it on its way to me.

Yeah you're probably right. I forgot these were retail-only...yep a 1:35 pack full parallel retail set is going to be tough no matter what. I need most of the A's out of 1998 Stadium Club First Day as well...you'd think it would be more likely that they'd be put up for sale since they are serial-numbered, but nope. I'm sure nobody thinks a /200 card of a common player would sell for anything. It doesn't help that it's very easy to miss the wording on the cards:

98stad1stspiezio.jpg

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Yeah you're probably right. I forgot these were retail-only...yep a 1:35 pack full parallel retail set is going to be tough no matter what. I need most of the A's out of 1998 Stadium Club First Day as well...you'd think it would be more likely that they'd be put up for sale since they are serial-numbered, but nope. I'm sure nobody thinks a /200 card of a common player would sell for anything. It doesn't help that it's very easy to miss the wording on the cards:

98stad1stspiezio.jpg

I'm sure that a ton of the FDIs are stuck back in boxes as base cards. They are extremely hard to spot, especially when sorting a ton of base. I think there was a ton of unopened retail post-strike too. The hobby was in a really, really low spot from 1995 till the homerun chase in 1998 revived it.

All of the Series 2 Electric Diamond Golds are tough, but I've got to believe some were short printed.

There are either 9 or 10 Juan Gonzalez Golds in the wild. There are 9 listed on the juangone site and one sold in the set break last night. Discussion in the Rare 90s insert Facebook group has Sandberg at 4 copies, Trammell at 6 or 7, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if there are only 25 or so total of each player. It wouldn't shock me if it was less honestly. Great underrated set. Which two A's players are you needing?

Last edited:

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
There are either 9 or 10 Juan Gonzalez Golds in the wild. There are 9 listed on the juangone site and one sold in the set break last night. Discussion in the Rare 90s insert Facebook group has Sandberg at 4 copies, Trammell at 6 or 7, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if there are only 25 or so total of each player. It wouldn't shock me if it was less honestly. Great underrated set. Which two A's players are you needing?

It's tough to imagine that they are more rare than 1996 Mirror Golds, but it is possible. It's a small sample size, but just looking at the active cards for sale on COMC shows 127 (counting doubles) for series 1 and only 15 for series 2. Based on that a print run of 25-50 sounds reasonable. If that's the case then I'm happy I got the other A's for a buck or two each. Here's my stash of Series 2 cards:

95udedgoldacre.jpg
95udedgoldbordick.jpg
95udedgolddarling.jpg

95udedgoldgates.jpg
95udedgold.jpg
(plus a Don Wengert that's not scanned yet)

At the risk of some wiener seeing this and trying to sell one of them for a stupid price, I'll say the two I don't have yet are Ruben Sierra and Todd Stottlemyre.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
What's one set you wish your obscure guy was in? My main pc guy isn't obscure but Tim Wakefield didn't make it into a lot of cool things I wish he had. Something really simple I wish he was in was the newer Diamond Kings sets, going back to his playing days I wish he had been included in something like Ultimate Magic Numbers or the Leaf Fractal stuff. It'd be cool if he was in the crusade set or 96 certified, but I'm not sad I don't have to contemplate spending that money

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
What's one set you wish your obscure guy was in? My main pc guy isn't obscure but Tim Wakefield didn't make it into a lot of cool things I wish he had. Something really simple I wish he was in was the newer Diamond Kings sets, going back to his playing days I wish he had been included in something like Ultimate Magic Numbers or the Leaf Fractal stuff. It'd be cool if he was in the crusade set or 96 certified, but I'm not sad I don't have to contemplate spending that money

1993 Finest or 1995 Select Certified for the Refractors and the Mirror Gold.

theplasticman

Nov 21, 2008

View attachment 118332View attachment 118333View attachment 118334View attachment 118335

View attachment 118337

Do what you gotta do. haha

Members online

Latest posts