Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

October 2021 - New Arrivals Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
Another big '90s card:

102721.jpg
1999 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Ben Grieve 37/50. The '98s and the football/basketball '97s have been expensive for a while but the less popular '99s have been increasing in value lately. This one set me back $46. There was an Eric Chavez being sold at the same time but luckily I already have that one, it went for $96.

bstanwood

Sep 24, 2016
Mystic, CT
Another big '90s card:

View attachment 314925
1999 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Ben Grieve 37/50. The '98s and the football/basketball '97s have been expensive for a while but the less popular '99s have been increasing in value lately. This one set me back $46. There was an Eric Chavez being sold at the same time but luckily I already have that one, it went for $96.
I like the 98s more, but I still really enjoy the 99s. To me it's like movies, Ghostbusters is one of my favorites, almost impossible to beat with a sequel, but that doesn't mean I don't like the sequel. At least metal tried something a bit different and didn't spit out the same exact parallel again, I'll give them props for trying something else!

Dilferules

Aug 10, 2012
Auburn, WA
I like the 98s more, but I still really enjoy the 99s. To me it's like movies, Ghostbusters is one of my favorites, almost impossible to beat with a sequel, but that doesn't mean I don't like the sequel. At least metal tried something a bit different and didn't spit out the same exact parallel again, I'll give them props for trying something else!

I don't really care for the overall design of 1999 Metal, but the holofoil with the etched background does look great. I actually don't have any A's 1998 Precious Metal Gems (it seems like as soon as I am ready to pay the going rate, the going rate has already increased beyond that level) but I do have a Bobby Jones in my Fresno State collection and of course in football I have the Dilfer...plus the unnumbered bankruptcy/backdoor version.

WizardofOz1982

Sep 30, 2017
Oklahoma
Was Carter associated with a specific card company or brand?
He responded almost immediately to my LinkedIn message and gave me his email to talk about it more. The set mentioned in the letter is the 1984 ***** League All Stars set from Decathlon Company which he owned at the time. He sold the rights to the set to Larry Fritsch in 1986 and Fritsch still sells the set today under his own trademark. I've got one of the original 1984 sets already so small world. I'm going to try to find another copy of the 1984 Bell to display with the letter once it's slabbed. There were only 2,000 of the 1984 sets printed though so I may have to settle for a Fritsch issue for a while.

https://www.tcdb.com/ViewSet.cfm/sid/159621/1984-Decathlon-*****-League-Baseball-Stars

He helped organize the annual ***** Leagues reunions in Ashland, KY so he actually spent a lot of time with all those guys. He said he sold his entire collection when he moved to Florida. It would have been awesome to see that.

Outside of the ***** League connection, Mr. Carter has lead one heck of a life apparently. He is a best selling author and basically wrote the guidebooks on what we think of as logo based branding now. When he retired to Florida he started making historical and nature documentaries about Sanibel Island that have been Emmy nominated. I spent the morning staring at my computer with a stupid grin on my face while reading his emails.

Just a single item today but it's on theme

Bill Cash.jpgBill Cash Back.jpg

I have the 1997 Buck O'Neill, the 2005 Cash (pictured), and the 2015 Judy Johnson which celebrated the 20th anniversary of Judy Johnson Day and was the 20th card in the series. The Wilmington Blue Rocks play at Judy Johnson Field and they've done a fantastic job keeping his legacy alive. I keep chasing this set as I can. It's up to 25 cards now I believe unless they skipped it in 2020 so I've got a long way to go.

Last edited:

Latest posts