Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Opening Day lineup trivia

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Because I’m a huge nerd I compiled a database of all the opening day lineups going back to the expansion year of 1993. I was bored and it seemed like something that might be interesting. Here are a couple of trivia questions based on answers that surprised me.

Who has played for the most teams on opening day(1993-2010)?

Who were the oldest and youngest players to start on opending day between 1993-2010?

What team and position had the highest turnover? (Hint: They had a different starter at this position for 17 of the 18 years)

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
I'm going to guess Mike Cameron for most teams

Youngest to start: Andruw Jones

Oldest to start: Charlie Hough

Highest turnover I won't even fathom a guess.

These answers were all off the top of my head, were any correct?

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
Joshua.Roundtree said:
I'm going to guess Mike Cameron for most teams

Youngest to start: Andruw Jones

Oldest to start: Charlie Hough

Highest turnover I won't even fathom a guess.

These answers were all off the top of my head, were any correct?

Mike Cameron started for 7 different teams '98 White Sox '99 Reds '00-'03 Mariners '04 Mets '07 Padres '09 Brewers '10 Red Sox. The correct answer started for 9 different teams.

Jones was 24 days short of his 21st birthday in 1998 which means the correct answer was about 1 year younger

Hough is correct. He was 46 on opening day 1994 for the Marlins

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
Mike Cameron was the opening day starter for 7 different teams. Sheffield had 6, but I think I'll agree that Cameron is the answer.

Youngest: Justin Upton.

Oldest: Randy Johnson.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
leatherman said:
Mike Cameron was the opening day starter for 7 different teams. Sheffield had 6, but I think I'll agree that Cameron is the answer.

Youngest: Justin Upton.

Oldest: Randy Johnson.

Correct answer started for 9 different teams

Correct answer was about 6 months younger then Upton was when he started in 2008.

As guessed above Charlie Hough was the oldest. He was 46 in 1994 Johnson was 42 for his last opening day start in 2006.

trademhigh

Aug 10, 2008
Probabaly a terrible guess, but does the last question involve the Tigers (Whitaker or Trammel)? If not, does it regard Rickey Henderson? I'm sure he started an Opening Day series when he was really old.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
leatherman said:
#1 has to be Royce Clayton.

Correct!!! Royce started for the Giants 93-95, Cardinals 96-98, Rangers 99-00, White Sox 01-02, Brewers 03, Rockies 04, Dbacks 05, Nationals 06, Blue Jays 07.

trademhigh said:
Probabaly a terrible guess, but does the last question involve the Tigers (Whitaker or Trammel)? If not, does it regard Rickey Henderson? I'm sure he started an Opening Day series when he was really old.

Nope no Tigers. Henderson did play when he was older but his last opening day start was in 2000 when he was 41.

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
matfanofold said:
Mets - Pitcher?
Nope. Mets had 8 different SPs from '93-'10 which was actually below average for the position. The average was 9.6.

Joshua.Roundtree said:
Wilson Alvarez or Alfonso Soriano for youngest maybe?

Nope. Alvarez only started on opening day in '98 and '99 and by that time he was almost 30. Soriano was 25 in 2001 for his first opening day.

Joshua.Roundtree

Mar 12, 2010
Clearwater, FL
cubfan131 said:
matfanofold said:
Mets - Pitcher?
Nope. Mets had 8 different SPs from '93-'10 which was actually below average for the position. The average was 9.6.

Joshua.Roundtree said:
Wilson Alvarez or Alfonso Soriano for youngest maybe?

Nope. Alvarez only started on opening day in '98 and '99 and by that time he was almost 30. Soriano was 25 in 2001 for his first opening day.

Ouch.
No more guesses for me.

shepsspot

Oct 27, 2008
Wasnt Nolan Ryan also 46 in 1993 opening day?

And how about the kid from the Rangers Elvis Andrus as the youngest?

Shep

cubfan131

Aug 18, 2008
shepsspot said:
Wasnt Nolan Ryan also 46 in 1993 opening day?

And how about the kid from the Rangers Elvis Andrus as the youngest?

Shep

Nolan may have been 46 in '93 but Craig Lefferts got the opening day start. As for Andrus, he was 20.5 which was 4th behind Upton, another Rangers SS Bengie Gil in 1993, and the youngest player who I'm not naming yet.

leatherman said:
Royals LF. The only person to start twice in LF for the Royals from 1993-2010 was Johnny Damon.

Here is the list: http://www.baseball-reference.com/play- ... reit/SW3jx

Terrible production in those 18 games, too. Only 1 extra base hit (1993, a double by Kevin McReynolds) and only 3 RBIs.

No multiple hit games.

Seven 0fers.

11-68 for a .162 BA, and .176 Slugging.

Royals LF is the winner! And I thought Cubs 3B was bad. It looks like they are on track to make it 18 in 19 years next year if they give Alex Gordon the start. Do you have the subscription leatherman? I've thought about subscribing since I love going through stupid stats like this.

leatherman

Aug 7, 2008
The Atlanta suburbs
cubfan131 said:
Royals LF is the winner! And I thought Cubs 3B was bad. It looks like they are on track to make it 18 in 19 years next year if they give Alex Gordon the start. Do you have the subscription leatherman? I've thought about subscribing since I love going through stupid stats like this.

Yes, it is the best $36 I spend every year. If you are a stat geek like myself, you'll love it. You can try it for a month for $5 (I think).

Members online

Latest posts